Zimmer-Jones intriguing match

Posted by hobsonschoice1 on May 5, 2010 – 5:28 am

Even if the Bengals end up not signing corneback Adam Jones, it shows you how much faith they have in defensive coordinator Mike Zimmer.

Here’s a guy that has had no problem going to the scrap heap for his unit’s remarkable rise from No. 27 to No. 4. He plucked safety Chris Crocker off the street nearly in November and revived his career. He took troubled Tank Johnson off the street in April and saw what no one ever thought would happen. He played well enough and flourished enough in the locker room to get another multiyear deal. Zimmer also went and got safety Roy Williams in April and even though Williams only played four games before re-breaking his arm, he looked better than he had in years.

Zimmer likes to say he came off the scrap heap himself, a victim of the Bobby Petrino fiasco in Atlanta that suddenly left him on the street after the 2007 season. So it’s not all that surprising that Zimmer mentioned Jones’ name back in February about a possible look-see. Like he said Tuesday, there was talk about getting a cornerback in the draft because “you can never have enough good corners. There aren’t a lot of them.”

He says he has put it all on the line to Jones and told him exactly what the story is, which is why his players love Zimmer.

He’s not coming in to start, Zimmer told Jones. He has to play with more discipline than he has shown in his career. He won’t put up with anything that hurts the chemistry of a defense that has grown so far so fast.

“He looked me in the eye and shook my hand,” Zimmer says, and in his world of a man’s word, that means a lot.

Zimmer has spent a lot of time talking to one of Jones’ patrons, former cornerback Deion Sanders. The two remain close after Zimmer coached Sanders in Dallas. Zimmer has liked what he has heard. Sanders has told him, “He’ll play for you.”

Sanders, it can be assumed, has told Jones what to expect.

“If we sign him,” Zimmer said, “I’ll be on him at all times.”

Hard to argue with the track record.

Tags: ,

20 Responses to “Zimmer-Jones intriguing match”

1. By mwindle1973 on May 5, 2010 | Reply

It’s a no lose situation. I think it’s important to let people know who think this is a bad move. The reason, it’s an uncapped year. We can sign him to a 2 year if he wants it. Because he can be cut at any time without a financial penalty. I think the timing is great. And people also need to know that the ’76 Raiders were one of the great NFL teams ever. They were also never so many criminals, vagabonds, scoundrels, drug users on one team since or before. Let us remember through the 70’s and 80’s that Paul Brown regularly had taken chances on character risks. Because he felt it was the teams job to make them into professionals.

I think our biggest weakness in the Marvin Lewis era is locker room and on the field leader ship. Not a problem anymore. And that is why Pacman’s baggage is no problem too. He will excel under Zimmer. He’s going to provide depth at the least, but could turn out to be starting talent by mid season and beyond. If one of our starters goes down and he comes in and fills the spot no problem then this is viewed as genius. BUt either way there are a few teams ahead of us on the bad character arch right now. What helps us is we have turned so many around that it’s in the atmosphere in the locker room. And right now Pacman has stayed out of trouble for quite some time now. He seems to have turned the corner.

2. By reguynnc23 on May 5, 2010 | Reply

This would be a fantastic signing. I am no longer concerned about the Bengals rep as it won’t change anyway. Corey Dillon is arrested and he is an “ex-Bengal” if he were to be elected into the Hall of Fame he would be an ex-Patriot. It is a no win situation when it comes to the blind and biased media.

We MUST have more depth in the secondary if we are serious about competing this season. This is a passing league and we wil face some of the better passing attacks in the NFL. I have no doubts that Jones has the skills and abilities required to play well in the secondary and return kicks like a mad man. Zimmer is the coach who can keep Jones on the straight and narrow reviving his career that is currently in the ICU.

3. By rambo23cyn on May 5, 2010 | Reply

Wach out marvin, Coach Zimmer sounds like a great replacement for your job, and I think this is the last year on your contract.

4. By reguynnc23 on May 5, 2010 | Reply

I am not sure Marvin cares about sticking around. If he leaves, I would certainly be happy with Zimmer getting promoted to HC as long as he still keeps his hand on the defense and selects his own DC.

5. By 34inXXIII on May 5, 2010 | Reply

I don’t agree with the signing of Adam Jones, but I support it and Zimmer is the dominant reason why. Like Chris Henry before him, Jones has been on a good run of avoiding illicit behavior. We got a very close look at Henry as a member of our beloved Bengals, which earned him a lot of support from the fans in his efforts to turn his life around. We haven’t been close to Jones’ attempt at getting his life on the right track, so there’s bound to be a question of trust. If he comes in and provides the team with solid depth at a key position while continuing to keep his personal demons at bay, our support will grow more fervent and more unconditional over time, media coverage be damned.

6. By coachwine on May 5, 2010 | Reply

As a redeemer myself, I can understand Mike Brown’s penchant for mercy. The question in this case is: Can a guy that has not just made mistakes, but has given strong evidence that he is just a bad human, being be redeemed? Most of us that have been involved in athletics for any length of time realize that the best respond with their best when they are under the gun. If this guy comes in knowing that it’s one strike and he’s out–and his days of making (potentially) millions is down the drain–and with family he is responsible for also holding him accountable, the Bengals could fill a need or they could have a Stanley Wilson in Miami scenario–you gotta cut him loose maybe when you need him the most. He is/was a talent. Is it is or is it was? Anyone have a coin?

7. By bearben25 on May 5, 2010 | Reply

I’m not sure if anyone from the Bengals’ front office reads these comments (I doubt it), but I had to say what I think on the Pacman Jones possible signing….

DON’T DO IT!!!!!!

Taking a chance on someone like Cedric Benson, Antonio Bryant (everyone forgets his issues), Carlos Dunlap, or even Chris Henry are different than Pacman. This guy was lucky to get off on a conspiracy charge for murder. He’s a bum. Can he help the team on the field? Maybe or even probably. But at what price? As a season ticket holder I’m disgusted at the thought of this guy playing for the Bengals. I love Zimmer and think he has done a miraculous job with guys like Crocker, but this is crazy.

Mike B., Katie B., Jim L., Marvin L., Mike Z., please do not do this. It is not worth it. Find another DB, please, I’m begging you.

Dedicated Bengals Fan!

8. By hobsonschoice1 on May 5, 2010 | Reply

RC AND REGUY: It looks more and more like Jones is going to line up next Tuesday in the first voluntary on-feld work of the year, doesn’t it.?

You guys hit it all. I’ve given up trying to judge people like Cedric Benson, Tank Johnson, and Chris Henry. Even guys like Rey Maualuga and Michael Johnson. They’re just not what people wrote, said, and speculated what they were. You have to see for yourself.

I still feel guilty about Henry. I never wrote a “Chris Henry Redemption,” story because I was afraid maybe two or three days or a week later he’d get in trouble again. I guess I was still judging.

I like the take on ex-Bengal and ex-Patriot. There is a lot of truth to that. But there is also a lot of truth to fact that they take chances on guys and have for a long time. They aren’t the only ones. When you win and do it, it’s OK.

Reputation is the only thing that they’re spending here. Wouldn’t you think it would be a one-year deal with incentives and more conditions than the weather channel?

Given that another off-field mishap would send him into the oblivion of NFL commissioner Roger Goodell’s conduct policy, could there be a bigger upside or more incentive to stay out of jail?

9. By phlockar on May 5, 2010 | Reply

I’m over the Bengals in prison stripes image. Our arrest record has dwindled recently. (besides the whole Purify thing) The past few years have proved we have enough mature players and leaders on this team that the pacman signing wont affect chemistry. This guy acts up one time and he’s gone…literally. Both from the team and league. Do you think he doesn’t know that by now? If he doesn’t than that’s very sad. My opinion is this situation is win/win. He doesn’t act up and just wants to play then we have a third corner with starting talent. He acts up and he’s gone.

10. By 2ndboot on May 5, 2010 | Reply

I’m not wild about this deal, IF IT happens. So many out there have it as a done deal, but unless I read it with my own eyes on the Bengals front page it’s still speculation.
    Character issues aside and this guy has more than his share he still has to prove he can make muster beyond history and there is much more to football then training camp of “tryouts”. A LOT of players look GREAT in tryouts then get repeatedly burned on plays before teams finally give up. Whether that happens here s yet to be seen, but unless Jones plays at top notch level he’s not worth keeping.
    Unless he can cut it with the big boys then I say let him go peddle his story elsewhere because right now Jones and his agent are making it out that EVERY team is a good fit which means he’s desperate to collect a new NFL paycheck. Even Chad tweeted yesterday that NFL scouts are watching OJ Simpson workout in prison.. So what’s next? Bengals sign him when he’s released at age 70?

11. By timmeicf on May 5, 2010 | Reply

We have got to be the dumdest team in the NFL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I’ve been a Bengals fan since I was 3 or 4 years old. I will be 38 in July.And I do not agre with this at all. Number 1 we need safety depth not CB depth. Number 2 he is no where near that good. Number 3 Pacman Jones wouldn’t know how to stay out of troule if he had Pope John Paul II and Mother Teresa beside him 24/7. He was suspended 16 games a whole year without a paycheck and he still got in trouble. Then he was suspended 6 more games a month and a half with no paycheck and he still got in trouble. Give it up Mike Brown your not the lord Jesus Christ you don’t have to forgive and give evryone a second chance just because they ask for one.

12. By carson9 on May 6, 2010 | Reply

Whoa, this signing would be a dramatic change of pace in terms of changing the image of the Bengals. At work for years I heard my steeler fans co-workers belittle my team and call them the Bungles or Jailbirds. After many, many years they have finally shut up. Especially after last season. Now if they sign Adam “Gun-man” Jones, then its back to square 1 in terms of character building. As much love as I have for my team, it’s pretty hard to defend them if they sign Gun-man Jones. This guy isnt just immature and partys too hard. He was and possibly is a THUG in every sense. Had it not be for NFL stardom, and if he was a regular Joe, he would be doing 15 to 20 easy. If they do sign Gun-man, then what’s next? Are they going to be the 1st team to sign a convicted C. Molester? Where do you stop and draw the line?

13. By 34inXXIII on May 6, 2010 | Reply

timmie, #1 adding an experienced corner could give them the opportunity to work Ghee at safety. Furthermore, if they also close in on a deal with Gibril Wilson, then they’re still able to address the safety issue. Signing Jones does not mean they’re ignoring the need at safety. #2 & #3 if he’s not that good and/or can’t stay out of trouble, he’s gone. It’s that simple.

carson9, we’re back to square one in terms of character building? I have a hard time believing that the high character players the team has amassed and used as a foundation for last season’s AFC North championship will be suddenly and completely destroyed with Jones’ mere presence. It seems more like a lot of fans are against this primarily because of how it affects them personally in terms of the jokes poked at them and their favorite team. Besides, those Steelers fan co-workers of yours are in no position to belittle another fan’s team for off-field behavior.

I don’t think Jones makes it to Week 1 with this team. However, if he does, then he will have earned it, not just by his performance on the field by his actions off of it. The longer he earns a chance to contribute to this team, the more he earns my trust as a fan.

14. By carson9 on May 6, 2010 | Reply

Okay 34inXXIII, I stand corrected. Well said and we’re wait and see what happens. As a fan I do hope it goes smoothly, however any more incidents regarding law enforcement will be a disaster for public image.

15. By joshua61679 on May 7, 2010 | Reply

I love the Bengals, and as far as I’m concerned Paul Brown had a better impact on Football than anyone else, ever. Period. But this signing will pretty much end me rooting for the Bengals. Don’t get me wrong, I love the work that they did in helping Chris Henry turn his life around. I wish they would have heeded the character warnings, but once he was there, I’m glad they did what they could to help him. I even like giving a guy like Ced another chance. He wasn’t a consistent repeat violator, and he didn’t have anything on his resume even close to some of the stuff on Jones’.

However, at some point, everything just starts to add up, and putting Jones on top of all that is just to much for me. Say what you want about the number of good character guys that the Bengals have, but their ratio of signing guys with huge character issues is ridiculously high. You can’t take a guy like Rey Maualuga, who had a ton of question marks coming out of college, have him get a DUI, and then blame the media for it.

The truth is when it comes to character, this team hasn’t gone from bad to good, it’s gone from bad to not as bad (the Maualuga and Purify recent incidents showing everything’s not behind them). Some guys that I respect a lot, Carson, Kelly, Whit, they were all here for that terrible year of arrest after arrest. But that team had character issues. The same is likely to be true of a team that includes Adam Jones, Matt Jones, Tank Johnson, Rey Maualuga, Carlos Dunlap.

I really hope the apparent turn around of Tank holds, I really hope that Jones, Jones, Maualuga and Dunlap find the maturity and fortitude to make better decisions than they have in the recent past. But to put all these guys together, not event mentioning guys with smaller, or just stupid, stuff like Benson, Smith and Ocho, just seems to be asking for a blow-up. Why are we the only (alright, maybe the Raiders as well) team that needs to collect so many players with so many glaring character issues. I’m really shocked we let Stallworth get nabbed by the Ravens.

And say what you want about winning making up for character, but it doesn’t for me. I hung in there through the 90’s, but Pac-man is just the last straw for me. I just want to be able to be proud of my team.

16. By rdavisptl on May 7, 2010 | Reply

I just don’t see the downside here. Lewis, Zimmer and the veterans on this team will not let Jones become a cancer in the locker room. If he does, it’s hasta la vista baby and don’t let the door hit you on your way out. If he comes in and works hard, the Bengals have potentially a 1st round talent for the NFL minimum. (After all, he was the 6th pick in the draft).

17. By hobsonschoice1 on May 7, 2010 | Reply

One thing on Maualuga, Joshua. He blamed himself and got himself help. He knew he needed it and got it. It was one of the most stand-up things an athlete has done in this town in a long time.

And hold your horses on Dunlap. He’s got the same poor-motor rap as Michael Johnson and Johnson has been nowhere near the guy the scouting reports said he was. I’d wait on that one.

You make valid points. A locker room has always been a tinderbox of emotions and personalities and now even more so with the money, hype and attention. But Lewis made it work last year, didn’t he? I think the team has to believe in its Coach of the Year.

18. By 34inXXIII on May 7, 2010 | Reply

Joshua, I respect your decision, though I’d love to talk you out of it. I’m guessing you’ve been at least as emotionally invested in this team as I have and I’d hope that we will one day reap the grand reward that similar fans of the Rams, Bucs & Saints have in the last decade.

I certainly understand your concern. This team’s track record with those of suspect character certainly gave the franchise a black eye (if not two and a bloody nose) a few years ago in particular. While the stigma persists amongst the media, opposing fans and some of our own fans, those same risks have paid off fairly well recently. Guys like Cedric Benson and Tank Johnson joined the franchise as malcontents and now stand not only as productive members of the team, but leaders. Hobson referred how forthcoming Maualuga has been in regards to his DUI and the responsibility he has taken for his actions. I think most of the readers here learned at least something about the effort Chris Henry was putting into changing his life under the watchful eye of Rusty Guy and other concerned members of this organization.

I’m not about to tell you or anyone else that the Bengals will make Adam Jones a new man – a changed man. Of course, I’m not prepared to doubt it, either. They’ve proven me wrong enough already.

It’s not just the organization proving me wrong, though, but the men themselves, and that’s where the Jones signing provides the biggest challenge, both for the team and the fans who are essentially being asked for their trust in this transaction.

I find it ironic, though, that you joke about letting Stallworth get away to the Ravens, a team that has dealt with players being involved in off-field issues ranging from gambling to drug dealing to murder. Maybe the Bengals are more liberal with the second (and third and fourth, etc.) chances for troubled souls with their various rap sheets, but it truly happens throughout the NFL. The Ravens, however, have been a very successful franchise, so their superstar linebacker with the murder connection gets rewarded with an SI cover declaring him “God’s Linebacker” while the downtrodden Bengals are merely punchlines. The Cowboys’ dynasty of the 90s had their fair share of problems off the field. The Steelers have been immune to criticism of their own off-field matters until it blew up spectacularly (and sadly) with horrendous accusations involving their most visible superstar.

There are two things sports possibly above all else proves: people (media, fans) love to kick and pile on others when they’re down, yet people also love great stories of redemption. With the signing of Adam Jones, the Bengals may very well be poised to give them one or the other.

19. By reguynnc23 on May 7, 2010 | Reply

The Bengals could sign Jack “the ripper” and I would still love the team.

20. By whodeynation on May 8, 2010 | Reply

As far as Pacman goes, I welcome him. It is a low risk high reward situation. The fans around the league already look at the Bengals like its the ” Island of misfit toys” signing Jones does nothing to make that opinion any worse. If you look around the league there are plenty of teams that have had players with terrible off the field issues. Rey Lewis is a great exaple. Do you remember when the Raven’s where looked at like ex-cons and thugs?

During the 2 workouts Jones had with the Coach Lewis and Zim they must have though he was well worth the risk, and I trust there opinion. There is no doubt in my mind if Jones is anything less than perfect on and off the field he will be gone. Zim is well respected by players around the league as a hard-nosed no-nonsence coach and he will not let Jones ruin our chemistry on Defense. If anyone can pull that 1st round tallent out of Pacman its Zim. “You can never have to many good corners”. Competition for play time was the key to the Bengals good season last year and signing Jones continues that in a major way.Good luck Pacman, keep your nose clean and I hope you can make as our team as the nickle corner.

BTW… gotta say, reguynnc23… Love your comment I am the exact same way about our Bengals. A good year, a bad year that will never change.