Receivers bubbling

Posted by hobsonschoice1 on May 19, 2010 – 4:38 pm

Third-year wide receiver Jerome Simpson continued to impress on the bubble Wednesday.  He caught a long bomb with a dive, corraling the ball as he tumbled to the ground. He got up gingerly but returned to work … Wide receiver Matt Jones also had another good day catching the ball.

» If you made me pick the six wide receivers now, I’d say The Ocho, Antonio Bryant, Andre Caldwell, Jordan Shipley, and Matt Jones with the last spot being fought between Simpson and sixth-rounder Dez Briscoe.

First of all, I may be way off. Second, they still may have to make room for Quan Cosby and his punt returns because he also doesn’t drop many passes. And third, it’s highly doubtful they’d be able to put Briscoe on the practice squad without another team claiming him. It’s already amazing he was there in the sixth.

» Reggie Kelly was surprised when he got a good look at his 6-5, 261 heir apparent, Jermaine Gresham. From what he’d been reading and hearing, Kelly said, he thought Gresham was just a receiving tight end.

“He’s a physical specimen,” Kelly said. “I think he can be a great blocker.”

» Players like defensive tackle Domata Peko and other insiders are raving about how quick the Bengals are up front on defense, aided by the drafting of Carlos Dunlap and Geno Atkins.

“I’ve been reading where Zimmer was calling Geno, ‘Taz,’ ” said Peko of the nickname that is short for Tasmanian devil and bestowed on Atkins by defensive coordinator Mike Zimmer and defensive line coach Jay Hayes. “I can see that. That’s how he plays.”

Tags: , , ,

25 Responses to “Receivers bubbling”

1. By tepidfan31 on May 19, 2010 | Reply

Geoff, I beleive they’ll give Simpson a chance, and cut Caldwell,

2. By bengalstripes9 on May 19, 2010 | Reply

With the logjam at WR, any chance you see us trading Caldwell? Him and Shipley seem to offer the same, but Shipley can contribute as a returner and looks like he has more potential in the slot. If Jerome, Briscoe, Jones, and Shipley continue to impress..I say trade Caldwell.
    Also, didn’t we offer a trade to the cowboys for a “young talented receiver” last year (for a tight end)? Could that WR have been Caldwell?

3. By hobsonschoice1 on May 20, 2010 | Reply

TEPID STRIPES: I would think anything is possible, but no one is getting moved until they know they can be replaced so I’d imagine they’d have to play some preseason games first.

Rookie receivers traditionally struggle, so to suddenly crown Shipley at the No. 3 and put in numbers better than Caldwell’s is a bit presumptive. It’s also blowing off Caldwell too quickly. He proved last year when a vertical threat like Chris Henry was on the field that he can come up with big plays in the slot. He caught two of the biggest balls of the year

Yes, I know he also had the two biggest fumbles of the year. But with Antonio Bryant and Jermaine Gresham on this team, Caldwell gets revived. He can run and also play the outside. The fact he can play all three spots and Simpson is pretty much just an X also has to be a factor.

Maybe Cosby is the trade bait if someone is looking for a punt returner. But if any other club is looking at this roster, they know the Bengals have to cut a good receiver. So why give up a draft pick when you can wait for the cut?

Keep the faith on Caldwell. I know people are thinking Oakland and San Diego, but what about Pittsburgh and Baltimore?

4. By carson9 on May 20, 2010 | Reply

I agree with you Hobson, while Caldwell isn’t flashy, he can be a solid slot reciever. Shipley is just a rookie, and we have to wait and see if he develops. I remember when Simpson was drafted, and fans were calling for Ocho to be traded and replaced by Simpson before the season ever began. Boy would that of been a disaster. Same thing with Shipley, fans are already calling for Caldwell to be traded and replaced by an un-proven player. Big mistake.

5. By phlockar on May 20, 2010 | Reply

Trade Caldwell!??! WHAT!!!

Look, I’m not saying this guy is TJ’s clone but keeping Simpson/Shipley on the roster over Caldwell is rediculous. You have no idea what Shipley will do in the NFL. The only reason people are wanting to keep Simpson is because all you’ve heard about is his freakish athletic ability and his second round pick status. He’s hasn’t done a thing yet but take up space on the sidelines. I’m not bailing on Simpson either but you have to make a choice and my opinion is you don’t get rid of Caldwell.

6. By 2ndboot on May 20, 2010 | Reply

This is a decision I wouldn’t want to have to make. To me it seems like it’s a decision of whether to chop off your leg 6 inches above the knee or 6 inches below the hip..Well gee, doc, you pick!
    A lot of people would like to just cut Simpson because he’s not been a factor yet, but suppose they do trade him to another contending team and he comes back to burn us big time?
    And there is also Cosby, a proven punt returner.. Some day that’s Shipley’s job now, but even Caldwell had some real impressive numbers in that dept. in college then came here and the job went to Cosby last year and I really don’t want to part ways with Cosby either. Matt Jones too is an unknown here and for that matter so is Bryant. Remember our last big receiver paid a lot of money who didn’t work out?
    So..6 inches above the knee or 6 inches below the hip? You pick, doc.

7. By 2ndboot on May 20, 2010 | Reply

…oh..forgot Briscoe there.. To many names for my head..

8. By mendlerlxa316 on May 20, 2010 | Reply

First and foremost it is a good problem we have with our WR core in that we have to much talent and not enough spots. Simpson is to fragile and a bust and we need to just cut ties. Even with the report above it said he dove for a long bomb but then said “He got up gingerly but returned to work..” I am over it we have Shipley, Briscoe, Jones and Crosby he seems like an obvious cut to me. With tha addition of Pacman Crosby may be expendable as well but I think it is too early to trade Caldwell he has developed each year even though he had some costly turnovers for us last year. Man the battles in our DL, WR, CB and LB’s will all be interesting we should have had Hard Knocks 2… WHO DEY!

9. By slykktee on May 20, 2010 | Reply

First, congrats Chad! His maturation on DWTS was unbelieveable. Watched every minute of it. I really believe that we are looking at a truely remarkable year from him.
    Second, to all the FANS. Isn’t it a beautiful thing to be talking about the excess of talent that we have rather than worrying about a spot needing to be filled? I haven’t felt this way since the 88-89′ season. It is great to finally cheer for a team that matters not only emotionally but competively. Thanks Mike Brown! After another good year, there is no way that he should not get the “Executive/GM of the year award.
    Third, But now it is up to us as FANS, no more of this NFL extension crap to sell out games. Get those tickets early!. I am in Cleveland and I am positive that I will make at the very least 2 games this year.
    Lastly, there is a radio host in Cleveland that has a saying… “Great to be alive!” well I say for myself and for ALL Bengals fans…. “Great to be a BENGALS fan!!!!”
    P.S. Don’t trade a soul, let them battle it out to last cut. Competition is what this team thrived on last year at RB spot and look at the progress it made. Repeat for WR position. But if you must, give up both Simpson and Caldwell and have Chad call OchoUno to take a pay of 1.5 and join this SB run!!!. My very last thought – MB, ML and Zim… Please bring back Odell Thurman, I would love absolutely be estatic to see the quartet of Odell, Rey, & Keith… OMG!!! with the DL that we have up from Mike, Demato, Geno, and Dunlap (no not forgetting the starters, this if future)…. Could someone say the “Seven Deadly SACKERS!!!!”

10. By phlockar on May 20, 2010 | Reply

Bring back Odell Thurman?! Wow!! You had to be sniffing glue before posting that!

Also, executive/GM award to M. Brown!?! I’m hoping the sarcasm in that comment went over my head!

11. By feltsphoto on May 20, 2010 | Reply

Wow! I can’t believe we are even discussing who to cut/trade before full camp even starts. We haven’t really seen anything yet… who says the Ocho hasn’t lost a step? (not that I think he has) Let’s just wait this one out before we go picking sides. You don’t have to watch this league very long before someone is proved wrong about how good or bad someone is supposed to be.

12. By 2ndboot on May 20, 2010 | Reply

I think Chad either retires next year or he keeps playing till he’s the oldest receiver to ever play the game.
    Personally if I were him I would give it up after this season so he can bow out with one great last season because he has so many irons in the fire there is really no way he’ll really need the money, but ya just never know with some guys..
    For some reason I can almost picture him still catching TD’s at 45 yrs old, but I really won’t put money on a bet like that. ;)

13. By rdavisptl on May 20, 2010 | Reply

feltsphoto – exactly right. I’m reading this article and thinking, this is WAY too early to be discussing final roster spots. Making a good catch at OTA’s is akin to learning to drive in an empty parking lot versus on the street. BIG difference.

14. By bengalbowl on May 20, 2010 | Reply

Yes, why are we talking about cutting or trading anyone? There is still the chance of someone getting hurt and out for the season, or an extended period of time. But if everyone stays healthy, I say sign Simpson to practice squad, he should be loyal to this team, he got 2 years of 2nd round pick money for doing absolutley nothing. But that is what is wrong with the NFL, he wouldn’t be loyal he would go to where the money takes him. I am scared that Briscoe is going to be the next Henry. But I don’t want to see that talent walk. Find a way to keep them all, and let Chad walk at the end of the season.

15. By berrien on May 21, 2010 | Reply

Yeah I totally agree with bengalbowl. No matter who we cut or keep we will be good, be cause we got talent. The question is who is going to replace Chris Henry when he was at his prime?!?! I would love to see Jeremi Johnson come back. What is the problem at resigning him and keeping Fui as a back up. Is he hurt or overweight again?? Overall we have talent from the Defense and Offense this year. I cant wait til preseasn. 11 weeks left.

16. By bengal050 on May 21, 2010 | Reply

I can’t believe we are already talking about Trading and cutting right now. We still have some time before we make that decision. Also why would we give up on Andre Caldwell. I think he has established that he is a solid #3 receiver. Shoot he’s the Cardiac Killer. So by all mean we shouldn’t give up just yet. Also, why is there talk that Chad Ochocinco should retire after this season. Chad still has a lot left in him. He has a solid 5 to 7 years left in him.

17. By phlockar on May 21, 2010 | Reply

Chad has 5-7 years left!?!?

Wow! What is up with some of these posts!?

So by your prediction when he’s 39 going on 40 he’ll still be competitive in the NFL!!!

18. By hobsonschoice1 on May 21, 2010 | Reply

If Chad has five to seven years left, how do you know he wants to spend them playing football? I know. I know. When he signed his second extension in ’06 he said he wanted to be like Jerry Rice and play beyond 40.

But that was before Twitter, Dancing With The Stars, and The Dating Game Gone Wild. I don’t doubt that next to his kids football is the most important thing in his life. But he’ll have some options after the 2011 season, when he turns 34.

It will be interesting to see what he’s thinking about life in general when he gets back.

19. By bengalbowl on May 21, 2010 | Reply

I don’t think the Ocho will retire either. But I do think he is going to want a deal that I am not sure he will be worth. He is still good, and I guess this season will show how good now that he won’t be able to be doubled all year. However, I just see him wanting more than he is worth. I hope I am wrong because the Ocho is one of my favorite players, and I would love to see him back. I don’t think we will be able to afford it though.

20. By feltsphoto on May 21, 2010 | Reply

It’s really hard to say… If Ocho has a really productive year I could see us giving him 2 maybe a 3 year extension, but I think that could be seen as risky. Hell this guy my be able to play great for 4 or 5 more years, but history says that would be highly unlikely. As great as T.O once was (and still has gas in the tank) look how long he has been looking for a team, yea, I know, he has baggage, but It’s tough for a team to pay 1.5-2 mil on such an unsure thing and no one is going to risk a long term 3-5 mil a year on any WR in their 30’s. One year can greatly differ from the next… look at what happened to Chris Collinsworth.

21. By mwindle1973 on May 23, 2010 | Reply

I agree CHad will want more than we should give him. BUt saying more than he is worth is inaccurate. T.O. wants more than he is worth and that’s why no teams will sign him. Chad will want what he can get and some team will pay it if we let him get to the market. Whether it’s a good investment or not.

I think this one is a no brainer. I think we put the franchise tag on him if we want him for the ’12 season and the same if he’s still producing going into ’13 season. Why would we give him a longer term contract when for virtually the same money we can just tag him year by year until he is 36.

But this is crazy, the roster cuts in ’10 will have nothing to do with plans for CHad beyond the ’11 season. Is that even on the radar at this point?

22. By theredbengal on May 23, 2010 | Reply

For those of you who aren’t sold on A. Bryant, I suggest that we look at the numbers from ’08 and ’09 for both L. Coles and Bryant.
    L. Coles ’08: 16g, 70 rec, 850 yds, 12.1 ave, 7tds
    A. Bryant ’08: 16g, 83 rec, 1248 yds, 15 ave, 7tds
    L. Coles ’09: 16g, 43 rect, 514 yds, 12 ave, 5tds
    A Bryant ’09: 13g, 39 rec, 600 yds, 15.4 ave, 4tds

So last year, Bryant played in 3 fewer games, had almost the same amount of receptions Coles did, plus almost a clear hundred more yards doing it.Not to mention his QB was either Leftwich, Josh Johnson, or Josh Freeman.
    Bengals get a mulligan on the Coles signing. Bryant is a MUCH better, explosive player

23. By 2ndboot on May 24, 2010 | Reply

Oh yeah…about Chad.. as far as other teams go.. Yes, he’s getting up there and yes, he’ll demand a big pay check, BUT he does one thing better than anyone else.. He puts warm rear ends in cold seats and other teams know that too.. Hmmm.. dilemma time coming up, eh?

24. By bengalanthony13 on May 25, 2010 | Reply

I’d be really upset if they let Briscoe and/or Quan walk. Quan is a proven commodity at Punt Returner (anyone remember how God-awful they used to be in that area) and can play in the slot in a pinch. Brisoce oozes talent and would be picked up in a second if they put him on the practice squad and/or cut him. They need to find a way to keep both.

25. By tepidfan31 on May 25, 2010 | Reply

One more thing regarding Caldwell and also a comment on Gathers.
    Look at these stats! They should be on the Bubble!

Caldwell vs. all WR’s
    Tied for 51st in yards per catch
    (Second last of all WR’s)
    Last in yards after the catch at 2 yards
    Tied for 66th in first downs

Then Gathers!
    Gathers vs. all DE’s
    Tied for 45th in Tackles
    Tied for 51st in Solo Tackles
    Tied for 59th in Sacks
    (and all that money given after 11 Sacks in 2006)