Wednesday quick hits

Posted by hobsonschoice1 on May 19, 2010 – 2:00 pm

After Wednesday’s voluntary on-field sessions at Paul Brown Stadium, cornerback Adam Jones took questions from the media for the first time in his Bengals career and assured reporters, “I’m not going to give you guys much to write about.”

He was talking about off the field. On the field he continues to impress. Defensive coordinator Mike Zimmer said after practice, “So far, so good … he’s been disciplined. He’s done everything we’ve asked.”

And that’s where he says he’s going to contain his swagger.

On the field.

“I’m never going to lose my swagger on the field,” Jones said. “If you see me out there, I compete every play. If I don’t make the play, I’m upset with myself. That’s the kind of swagger I’m talking about. I’m not talking about a swagger with your pants down or nothing like that. I’m talking about on the field. If I’m not playing with a swagger on the field, I don’t think I need to be out there.”

He knows all eyes are on him, so Jones dismisses the notion it easier for him to live and play in small-market Cincinnati after he couldn’t make a go in glitzy Dallas.

After his second day throwing against him, quarterback Carson Palmer compared Jones’ quickness out of his backpedal to Steelers Pro Bowl safety Troy Polamalu.

“Not too many guys are like that,” Palmer said. “You can’t be late throwing to his side.”

“That closing speed is very rare. It reminds me of Troy and there aren’t many guys that have that first two or three steps and are at full speed.”

After living through Chris Henry and Cedric Benson and Tank Johnson, Palmer’s mind is wide open. After talking to the return artist formerly known as Pacman, he says, “I like him.”

“Playing here you learn to give guys the benefit of a doubt and there are guys here that have been through a lot of things,” Palmer said. ” A lot of things have been said by people who don’t know that individual. Things have been said about Pacman and I’m not letting that make that. He is who he is and has tried to learn right away and compete. Everything else that has been in his past I’m not going to let that make my mind for me.”

» Veteran tight end Reggie Kelly has already bonded with No. 1 pick Jermaine Gresham in his first week back since signing his one-year deal. Kelly was extremely impressed that when he was in the weight room Gresham came in with rehab specialist Nick Cosgray and asked to be introduced to him. And even though Kelly is still not working on the field yet (Achilles), he says he spent time with Gresham out there Tuesday after practice.

“Reggie will be in his ear,” said Palmer, who recalled how instrumental Jon Kitna was to his career during his rookie year.  “It was great to draft the guy we drafted. The best move was to bring Reggie back.”

Rookie defensive tackle Geno Atkins flashed enough in one 11-on-11 set that former Bengals defensive tackle John Thornton says he would have had three straight sacks at one point … Zimmer has got his guys all over the place. SAM linebacker Rey Maualuga played some in the middle and also blitzed off the edge … The Bengals aren’t playing a 3-4, but there are 3-4 principles with guys like ends Robert Geathers and Michael Johnson standing up … Johnson is also working with the backers as a SAM.

» Joining Kelly on the side rehabbing were right end Antwan Odom (Achilles), safety Chris Crocker (foot), safety Tom (Nelson) knee, SAM linebacker Rashad Jeanty (leg) and defensive tackle Pat Sims (arm).  Don’t look for Jeanty and Sims until training camp … Fourth-round pick Roddrick Muckelroy and wide receiver Chad Ochocinco weren’t here. Right tackle Andre Smith (foot) wasn’t on the field as he still rehabs from surgery.

Tags: , , , ,

9 Responses to “Wednesday quick hits”

1. By theredbengal on May 19, 2010 | Reply

That’s great. Gresham going out of his way to meet Kelly. Everything I keep hearing and reading about Gresham is that he is just an outstanding person and talent. Atkins sounds like a possible impact player on 3rd downs. It’s sounding good.
    Keep up the updates, Geoff!

2. By tepidfan31 on May 19, 2010 | Reply

Geoff, still waiting for Odell, if they can bring in the pacman, they can bring in Odell

3. By hobsonschoice1 on May 20, 2010 | Reply

TEP: No they can’t. They’re loaded at linebacker and they’ve got their middle linebacker of the future in Rey Maualuga. And Jones looks like a wrinkled veteran next to Thurman with his 39 NFL games. Thurman played one season in the league and that was five years ago.

4. By carson9 on May 20, 2010 | Reply

While going through my closet, I found my ole Thurman jersey, LOL. I wore it to a Bengals-Ravens game back in 08, and nobody could figure out who that was. I was a fan of Thurman, and thought he had quite alot of potential back in the day, but not playing a snap in the league going on 5 years, he’s just too rusty and the Bengals don’t have a need for him. Just because he played good in the UFL last season doesn’t translate to NFL success. The UFL had mainly talentless and under sized Offensive Lineman to slow Thurman down. Quite a few NFL castoffs like Brooks Bollinger (UFL player of the year) did great playing undeveloped rosters in just a 6 game season, but no one in the NFL is calling them up for good reason. Allow the UFL the chance to develop some talent over the next couple years, and if Odell is still that dominating, then we can talk about a re-union. Until then, he’s just fools gold.

5. By 2ndboot on May 20, 2010 | Reply

Thurman? Why not see if Kenny Anderson wants to back up Carson while we’re at it here? Man, if you can’t crack the league in 5 years even on last place teams I just don’t see an opening on the division sweeper. Now if they’re looking for someone to sweep the floors in the locker room… No knock at Thurman, but after 5 years he ain’t gonna break out at the top of the league from the UFL..Not on this planet anyway.

6. By krfeldner on May 20, 2010 | Reply

carson9….actually, just yesterday a UFL player was called up by an NFL team…the Seahawks got JP Losman yesterday.

7. By bengalbob on May 20, 2010 | Reply

Geoff, not trying to be a conspiracy theorist but why has there been no word on the signing of RB LaMarcus Coker on the team’s website? Do the Bengals fear any more negative press due to his checkered past? Personally, I can’t blame them for taking a chance on a guy who’s run a 4.28 40 and once started ahead of the likes of Arian Foster and Montario Hardesty (who Cleveland used a 3rd rounder on). Before you deny the rumor outright, check out Coker’s Facebook page, where he announces he’s signed a contract with Cincinnati!

8. By hobsonschoice1 on May 20, 2010 | Reply

No crushing Odell from here. To see where he came from and what he had to go through to get to college, never mind the NFL, is humbling, numbing, and downright heroic. I have all the admiration in the world for how he battled with his circumstances and, for a long time, beat them. The whole thing is sad. Nothing more. Nothing less.

9. By hobsonschoice1 on May 20, 2010 | Reply

BOB: There is nothing on the site about Coker because they never signed him. It might have been on Facebook, but he was never on the roster. Apparently they had plans to sign him, but it never happened and it isn’t going to happen because they claimed Walter Mendenhall.

Sorry if I’m a bit stunned by the question.

Do you really think this team fears negative press coverage because of anyone’s checkered past?

If he’d signed, it would have been here. If you look at how the site covered the signings of Matt and Adam Jones, I think, Bob, you’d conclude their pasts weren’t covered up.

No grassy knoll here.