Ocho: Ready out of the gate

Posted by hobsonschoice1 on May 26, 2010 – 4:58 pm

When we hooked up with the Ocho on Monday about his plans for the next two weeks, he indicated that he has no physical problems that are going to prevent him from being ready for his stint at the June 15-17 mandatory minicamp. The club has also apparently been told he’s fine following his tweet that said he didn’t dance in the Dancing With the Stars finale because he got hurt lifting weights.

“Same time as last year. I get into Cincinnati June 12,” Ochocinco said. “I start the new show next week and I’ll be in the week after that.  Just like last year.  I’ll be ready when we get on the field.”

The Ocho arrived last year on June 9 and participated in two voluntary workouts before the mandatory. He’s delayed this year because of his cable TV dating show that he says is going to take about 10 days to shoot.

9 Responses to “Ocho: Ready out of the gate”

1. By feltsphoto on May 26, 2010 | Reply

I guess we will see… 2 different stories from the Ocho in the past couple of days. I love the guy, but you never know whit him. Last time he said he was fine he missed most of training camp and it reflected the whole season. He has to be smarter than that… if he tweeted the truth.

2. By dennyg2 on May 26, 2010 | Reply

I find myself shaking my head more often than not when it comes to the Ocho, Geoff…

3. By hobsonschoice1 on May 26, 2010 | Reply

FELTS: All I know is I talked to the guy and he said he can play when he gets here June 12 and the tweet didn’t contradict him.

I’ll be glad when this footbal thing gets going. All this reality TV talk has got me wondering whatever happened to Lou Grant. The Bengals should have taken a production assistant in the sixth round.

4. By bengal50 on May 26, 2010 | Reply

I’m looking forward to Chad getting back to the Chad that we’ve known in the past – the guy keeps himself in peak physical condition and even though he’s had his ups and downs over the last couple years he has the potential to put up another strong pro bowl year this year. With Carson getting more weapons and Brat being able to get more “creative” with his playcalling – I see this team doing well – not only on defense but with the offense picking up the slack they had last year.

5. By carson9 on May 26, 2010 | Reply

I’m not concerned at all. Chad is great at what he does, and as long as he is working out, then he will be fine. Should have an even better season with more of a supporting cast around him while our new TE Gresham will take some double teams off Chad while he opens up the middle of the field more.

6. By hobsonschoice1 on May 27, 2010 | Reply

DENNY: I’ve stopped my shaking my head, which is a medical must because Chad gave me whiplash in 2007 and 2008

Remember? The sullen I-want-to-be-T.O.-but-I-don’t-know-quite-how-to-do-it-because-I’m-really-not-that-bad-Chad?

But since then he’s been terrific. I’m talking about his approach and statements, at least publicly. He’s figured out you get what you want more with sugar than vinegar. He wants to have a career after football (of which he has every right) and he’s doing all the right things.

Smiles sell. Not angst. And it fits him because he’s really not the bad guy he tried to be for awhile.

Ironically, The New/Old Chad seemed to arrive at almost the same time as Twitter. It is almost like tweeting gave him an outlet he never had by allowing him to be more of himself all the time. Outrageous. Funny. Center of attention. But not malicious.

People seem to forget, Denny, that he went on Dancing With The Stars with the blessing of head coach Marvin Lewis. Lewis knew he wasn’t going to be around until June. I think Lewis feels comfortable, in part, because he has faith The Ocho will be ready. You get the sense they both know when he tried to pout his way out of here in ’08 by basically not doing much of anything in the offseason that it contributed to his worst season since his rookie year.

Not having Carson Palmer for 12 games also contributed, but he’ll tell you he wasn’t ready. Not like he was last year, and you get the sense that won’t happen again.

The bottom line in all this is, does it hurt the team because he he won’t be ready? Lewis and The Ocho don’t seem to think so. They’ll get their answer soon enough.

But The Ocho has been saying all offseaon that football is his top priority and I think you have to take him at his word. He knows he’s ultimately judged (and marketed) by how he and his team plays. Catching 60 balls for a losing team cuts down on the audience. The leading receiver on a division winner on Mehring Way makes it a lot easier on Madison Avenue.

The Ocho knows all this. I say it is like his bus tour right after the season. Sit back, shake your head, but laugh a little, and enjoy it.

7. By mwindle1973 on May 28, 2010 | Reply

I’m tired of the Ocho slamming. Let’s be honest about it too, he is underpaid, and that is what led to his offseason TO like problems a couple of seasons ago. People think it was attention but it was all about money. I don’t care how much he gets paid. DOn’t you want to be paid what other workers with similar experience and performance get paid too?

So don’t go shame Chad because he is making some extra cash and setting up some post-football work for himself. He hasn’t done anything wrong, just because he is interesting to people.

8. By mreverythingbtc on May 28, 2010 | Reply

You know i think the issue is that everybody is looking at this the wrong way, Let Chad do what he is doing all of it is helping to bring the city into the major lights. I know i feel the same as every one else with the feeling that this will be a very good year on the field for the team. No matter what Chad does,Dont get me wrong i love the Ocho and i feel he is going to have a monster year. So i dont see anything wrong with allowing him to bring another tv show to the city, it makes us people of Cincinnati proud to see our city in primetime. Better then the news that is usually coming out of here. WHO DEY

9. By bonniebengal on May 31, 2010 | Reply

I don’t care what Ocho does in the offseason as long as he’s ready for training camp. He seems to be doing fine. I don’t get the negative comments at all. He’s obviously in great shape and is going to do some great things this year.