Bengals down to 10 WRs

Posted by hobsonschoice1 on June 22, 2010 – 2:33 pm

With the release of Chris Davis on Tuesday, the Bengals are down to 10 wide receivers and don’t figure to cut another one until training camp. With 83 players on the roster, they still need to lose three more if all nine draft picks sign by the first practice on July 29. Davis has some return ability, but with wide receivers Quan Cosby and Jordan Shipley and cornerback Adam Jones competing at punt return and running back Bernard Scott set at kick return, there just wasn’t any room.

The Bengals don’t look to be adding anybody anywhere right now.  Davis had signed with the team as a free agent March 12. He was a fourth-round Tennessee draft choice in 2007 and played in two seasons (’07 and ’08) with the Titans.

15 Responses to “Bengals down to 10 WRs”

1. By theredbengal on Jun 22, 2010 | Reply

Chris Davis, we hardly knew ye. He didn’t stand a chance. I believe he was signed before Bryant. He definitely was signed before the draft.

2. By hobsonschoice1 on Jun 22, 2010 | Reply

RED: Bryant agreed March 10. Davis signed two days later.

3. By carsonorbust on Jun 22, 2010 | Reply

It seems like we’ve got a lot of WRs who could catch on with some other teams. Jones, Simpson, Cosby and Briscoe could all get cut, and all of them could wind up on another squad. Should Chris Davis be on that list as well?

4. By bigedge on Jun 22, 2010 | Reply

I honestly didn’t see anything coming out of this signing in the first place. ST’s were covered, the top 4 WR slots were covered. Then you have Simpson and Cosby already primed in front of him to boot. I think most of us believed he was an extra body during spring workouts. Hate to think that way, but you gotta keep the doors open just in case that hidden gem rolls through.

5. By overthroensamoan on Jun 23, 2010 | Reply

Just curious. Where is Bennie Brazell and Ethan Kilmer?

6. By pacomomogoose on Jun 23, 2010 | Reply

Geoff,

What’s the ding, if any, on Freddie Brown? After watching him in camp last season, he looked big, quick and ran good routes… what am I missing???

7. By 2ndboot on Jun 23, 2010 | Reply

Davis will likely sign with a lesser team somewhere so that’s no biggie. I guess the real battle will be with Simpson, Purify, Brown and maybe Briscoe. I’m really rooting for Simpson just because I like underdogs everyone writes off as busts, but the more I read the bleaker it seems.
    Briscoe is another I like and as long as they keep him around he will eventually mature and get stronger. I just hope he never gets snapped up off the PS by someone else..

8. By hobsonschoice1 on Jun 23, 2010 | Reply

Downtown Freddie Brown is a late bloomer. He didn’t do much in college until his senior year and he’s on a team that’s got some pretty good receivers. He was on the street for two months after they cut him last season, so it looks like it is his speed that hurts him more than anything. He’s a good guy to root for, though, if you’re talking about underdogs. Compared to Simpson, a second-rounder, Brown was on nobody’s radar until his last year at Utah, and he’s always around the facility doing something extra. Has a very good jump shot.

9. By bengals85fan on Jun 23, 2010 | Reply

I hope Shipley makes the final spot. He has real potential to be the offensive rookie of the year. Put him in the slot and he will be Palmers best friend. This guy has great talent and I will be very disappointed if we do see his impact starting week 1.

10. By bengalsroar on Jun 23, 2010 | Reply

I really like Cosby, but with Pacman, I say we should drop Purify, Cosby and Simpson immediately so they have the chance to make another teams rosters. Then put Briscoe on the pratice squad till next season so he has the chance to learn since he is on 20. I believe Matt Jones will be just what Palmer needs for the long ball and Bryant, Ochocinco, Caldwell and Shipley is a given. It’s so great to see too many good players on your team but tou have to hope they make the right decisions and not let the great one go!!

11. By devinher on Jun 24, 2010 | Reply

I always had hopes that Bennie B would make a comeback after his injuries healed, but he took all that speed of his to USA Rugby. Guess he’s given up on football.

12. By carson9 on Jun 24, 2010 | Reply

I strongly feel that Dez Briscoe will make the team, and a toss up between Cosby and maybe even Matt Jones if he can be consistent. The Jerome Simpson Train Wreck will be offically over very soon now. Freddie Brown has size, but Cincy has too much talent for him to compete with. Several decent players will get cut. If Cosby is cut, I see the Steelers going after him to improve their horrible special teams.

13. By hobsonschoice1 on Jun 24, 2010 | Reply

Here’s the dilemma with Briscoe. If they don’t keep him, he gets picked up and he never gets to the practice squad.

14. By baconbitz309 on Jun 25, 2010 | Reply

The issue here is what each WR contributes. Ocho, AB, Shipley, and Caldwell are basically locks. Freddie Brown, Purify, Matt Jones, and Briscoe are all taller but not necessarily burners. Jerome and Cosby are the less physical speedy guys that get down the field. If they plan on keeping three more WRs, I would imagine they have to keep either Jerome or Cosby because making plays downfield was a big issue last year. I still think Jerome has a shot to be special because of his freakish athletic makeup and it’s not like Cosby is a can’t-do-without player now that there are alternatives in the punt return category. The other two would most likely be Matt Jones and Briscoe because they of higher upside (plus Jones has proved he can get open in his league if his head is one straight.) The problem is that if they only keep two WRs, Jerome will probably be the odd man out and hopefully we’ll be able to put him on the practice squad to refine his skills. My opinion would be to keep 7 WRs instead of 6 just because Ocho’s nearing his end and we need some sort of heir apparent on the outside that has been in the organization their entire career and know how the offense works.

15. By kingbengal on Jun 25, 2010 | Reply

It is good Cincy has some competition at practice finally,this will ensure everyone including CHAD to improve on every aspect of their A-game,and yes push some talented wide-outs out the door,THATS GREAT. May the best wide-out WIN!Marvin and his staff has done a great JOB in changeing the AIR in Cincy’s locker room.And if Carson is 100% Healthy ALL YEAR LONG &O-Line Cincy will compete for the AFC crown.