No deadlines

Posted by hobsonschoice1 on July 6, 2010 – 6:08 pm

The NFL is like anything else in America, from the PTA to the White House. Things don’t happen unless there’s a deadline and with the bulk of the training camps not set to open until the last few days of July, rookie deals won’t be coming fast and furious until seven to 10 days beforehand.

That’s about when the Bengals coaching staff is expected back to work to put the finishing touches on a training camp schedule that opens Thursday, July 29. But there was some activity at Paul Brown Stadium in the hours after the Fourth of July holiday.

Head coach Marvin Lewis surfaced Tuesday from his USO Tour to Afghanistan. Two layers of plywood and a layer of plastic are bracing the field for Saturday night’s monster truck show. Negotiations have started with some rookies and word is that fifth-rounder Otis Hudson, a backup right guard from Eastern Illinois, is about to join sixth-rounder Dez Briscoe in the fold.

With the intrasquad scrimmage and the Mock Game iced from the Georgetown College schedule because of the Bengals’ appearance in the Aug. 8 Hall of Fame Game, the club and school are trying to turn the Saturday night practice on July 31 from 7-9 into some kind of a special event but they are still working out the particulars of what and when. The Bengals open with a morning and night session on the 29th and the third day is around the time Lewis gears up the Oklahoma Drill. But all of it is speculation at the moment.

Tags: ,

7 Responses to “No deadlines”

1. By 2ndboot on Jul 6, 2010 | Reply

I have a hunch both Briscoe and Hudson signing early is a bit telling. The players chosen earlier in the draft probably have agents trying to get the most money out of their meal tickets, but I could be wrong.
    It seems to me any smart young man or woman ought to find an older agent to school him or her in the finer points of snagging a big name meal ticket. After all…do agents have to bust their own tails to make the team? All they have to do is to learn negotiation skills and the gift of gab and how to rub elbows.
    Naturally I’m only guessing because it’s fairly obvious I have zero big name players knocking at my door to represent them in the NFL. Come to think about it I have zero no name players knocking at my door as well.

2. By 2ndboot on Jul 6, 2010 | Reply

Geoff..about the snubbing.. Would it be fair to call the pro bowl as well as the all star game mere beauty contests for big market teams?
    I stopped really caring about there things years ago when great players from several smaller teams got snubbed.
    Even if the Bengals win the suberbowl I have a hunch ONLY players willing to parade their names in front of fans will get the nod and those who prefer to remain just good players, but quiet guys stay at home.
    That makes it a beauty contest and little more IMO.

3. By hobsonschoice1 on Jul 7, 2010 | Reply

BOOT: You’re right. It really is a beauty contest in the NFL because nobody shows up to play it and when they do, it is a fraudelent game. There are more hits in a game of 21.

That said, everyone wants to be called beautiful at least once in their lives and they’ll go the first couple of times. But the small-market teams have their shots. The AFC is always filled with Colts and Steelers and the NFC has its share of Vikings and Packers. When the Bengals won the division in 2005, five guys made it. When Tennessee went 13-3 in ’08, four Titans started the game for the AFC.

The real market disparity is in baseball. Look at the teams that need help to just get one guy on the team to meet the requirement. San Diego. Pittsburgh. Kansas City. Arizona. It usually matches up with bad teams and they’ve got bad records because there is no salary cap. Yeah, their scouting must not be great, either, but they’ve got virtually no shot to compete in free agency when matched against the New Yorks and Bostons and L.A.s. And, yes, it does turn the All-Star Game into one long red carpet of greed. How many times do we have to see Mets pitching against Yankees?

4. By overthroensamoan on Jul 7, 2010 | Reply

Geoff.. still scratching my head over a couple of the most recent draft picks. Muckelroy in particular. I was surprised they didn’t go RB with that pick especially with Scott looking like he might have some durability questions.

5. By 2ndboot on Jul 7, 2010 | Reply

Yeah, I guess everyone wants to be called pretty or hansom at some point.. I’m past my good lookin days, but I can still remember trying to coax my dad into caring about the Reds and Bengals and him telling me he could care less about the premadona’s (sp) anymore. I never thought I would feel the same, but a few years ago when the steroid issue hit so hard I was ready to chuck all my memories out as he did.
    Now all these years later he actually mentioned the ‘Red leggs” and Bengals in our last telephone conversation. Seems there was a 10-15 year gap in there and I’m sure we’re not alone in that.
    Still..all in all I can’t remember the last time I rooted for a millionaire to do anything except a sporting event. Maybe I should drive up to North Dallas and root them on to decorate their mansions. ;)

6. By mwindle1973 on Jul 9, 2010 | Reply

I can’t see how anyone could knock the Muckelroy pick. MOst analysts seen that as our best value pick in the draft. I for one would rather have a good D before anything else. We overachieved last year. We can repeat or do better only by adding more depth. And that’s what we did.

I see the knock on B Scott. He does seemed to get knicked a lot. But RBs will get knicked and dinged a lot. When your a pounder you can play through it. WHen your evasive like Scott it’s hard to play hurt and be effective. And Leonard can’t run the ball effectively as a starter. So it does worry me. Ced will most likely not start every game. CHances are he’s dinged at some point and we need someone else to start. And there is nobody there to do it.

We will most likely pick up our backup bell cow when cuts start happening at training camp. I think they are gambling that they find a better HB now than they would’ve prior to now in free agency or the draft. There will be better HBs cut during camp than were available to us up to know.

Speaking of which, De De Dorsey is with the Lions coming off a great season in the UFL. But he will have trouble making the roster. THey have last years starter Kevin Smith plus the 34th pick in the draft Jahvid Best. And they have a solid 3rd runner in Maurice Morris. He will fight for the last spot (if they keep 4, or Smith is still not healthy) with Aaron Brown. Either way whoever they cut will get a look here. And if Smith is healthy they will cut another. Or if he comes back mid season they will have to cut someone then. But they are just one of a few teams holding too much stock at HB and will have to let some of it go eventually. Even if they

7. By hobsonschoice1 on Jul 11, 2010 | Reply

OVER: They need a specific type of running back. A bigger guy that can pound it for 20, 25 times in two or three games if Benson can’t and I guess they didn’t think that guy was there in the fourth or anywhere else.

It showed where running backs are on their list of priorities in the higher rounds. After the must take of a tight end, they went with the rarer positions with two pass rushers and a cornerback.

Scott was able to pinch hit for one game off the bench and went over 100 before he got hurt. But even before then it was clear he’s not a month-long bell cow and is a complementary (but explosive) player.

I get the sense they find this backup bell cow late in training camp, cut from another team to join Benson, Scott, and Brian Leonard, or else they would have made more of an effort to draft one.

Here’s the thing about taking the best guy on the draft board. You take a linebacker in the fourth round, but he comes to the deepest position on the team. The idea is to upgrade anywhere you can and maybe Muckelroy makes them better on teams or is better from scrimmage than say a Hodge, Skuta, or Jeanty that are the backup LBs.

But he’s got a long way to go because those three guys are highly regarded. If he makes it, he’ll deserve it.