A lot on the menu

Posted by hobsonschoice1 on July 26, 2010 – 8:18 am

Bengals president Mike Brown hosts the annual training camp media luncheon Monday at Paul Brown Stadium and lately it has produced more news combined than the 40 or so that came before them.

This one should be no exception with all the Terrell Ownens stuff popping and we’ll see if that can get cleared up.

As the weekend careened to a finish, it appeared the only team that had offered Owens a contract was the Rams. With the Bengals coaching staff getting in place today with some headed to the luncheon and some getting packed up for Georgetown, they look to be in a better decision-making mode than they were last week, the last break before camp.

To make a n offer or not make an offer?

It’s not an easy issue to resolve. You can make 10 arguments against it (age, chemistry, makeup of the wide receiver position) and 10 for it (final piece of the puzzle for a contender, great red-zone target for a team that has struggled in the red zone since the loss of Chris Henry, another weapon for Carson) and I’m not sure there is a right or wrong answer.

It’s not exactly the Cuban Missle Crisis, but it’s not a multiple choice question, either.

Given the smoke signals sent out by Chad Ochocinco and Palmer reportedly pleased by his workouts with Owens, it is hard to see the Bengals not making an offer, certainly before they report to camp Wednesday and maybe as soon as Monday.

That’s where it is pretty clear cut. With a bunch of young core players coming up on deals, the Bengals aren’t going to offer the 36-year-old Owens a lot of money. It will certainly be one-year and incentive-laden if they do, and the Rams won’t have trouble coming up with more. Then it would be a clear choice for Owens. More money with a rookie QB and a club destined to win three games vs. playing with Ocho and Palmer and a shot at Super Sunday.

Also expected at the luncheon besides Brown and head coach Marvin Lewis are the coordinators, Bob Bratkowski on offense, Mike Zimmer on defense, and Darrin Simmons on special teams.

8 Responses to “A lot on the menu”

1. By theredbengal on Jul 26, 2010 | Reply

I’m going to assume TO wants to win more than he wants to be a #1 guy. I can’t think of anyone better to step into Slim’s former 3rd slot than TO. And even though it is more of a run oriented offense, 3 WR sets are still used a ton. The Bengals would have the best top 3 WRs in the league. TO or Bryant going against other teams’ nickel corners on a regular basis? Sounds delicious to me. But hey, with or without TO, I really like this offense and am very positive about this team, moreso than any other Bengal team since…well, ever.

Get your popcorn ready Who Dey!

2. By 2ndboot on Jul 26, 2010 | Reply

Well, perhaps the Bengals new theme song should change from Welcome to the Jungle to Simon and Garfunkles At The Zoo. The Bengals will have to expand PBS to accommodate the media circus as well.. Maybe outside where all the media vans are parked they can pipe in that old famous circus song while they’re at it..
    OK, enough wise cracks, but where does this leave so much of the young talent we have at WR?
    I would have to wonder if any will want to sign with other teams or just wait it out on the practice squad while the two, no, make it three old men of the WR core finally just age out so they can step in to take their places.
    If those guys were smart they would go to Mike brown and say, “Look, these guys are getting old and aint going to be around forever so pay me enough and the practice squad is where my feet will rest until the social security administration hauls the old dudes away”, and there is another side and that is that older players tend to get more injuries more often than young players so they could end up as starters at a seconds notice anyway.
    Of course just how many players can remain on any practice squad anyway? The Bengals have a problem and one I don’t think they have EVER had and that is telling guys they just don’t have room for their bountiful talents..
    I’m sure if they had the opportunity and perhaps they do they could make a player for player trade to shore up any weak spots left..
    Wow..I really didn’t see this coming last year before the season started. As tempting as is was to say the same old Bun….nope..not gonna say it.

3. By erniesogres on Jul 26, 2010 | Reply

The numbers at receiver are looking REALLY crowded if TO arrives. Do you suspect M. Jones might be released afterwards and do you think that his presence along with others might end Simpson’s stay?

4. By ftmyersbengal on Jul 26, 2010 | Reply

This would be a great addition for several reasons. TO is better than Bryant especially with Bryant’s knee. In this league you have to take your shot at the Super Bowl as soon as you get it because it doesn’t come around very often. Our main offensive sets this year are going to be 3 wide 55% and 2 tights 45%. Bringing in Owens only creates more versatile looks for the offense. Chad, TO and Shipley (in the slot) with Gresham or Coffman working the middle with Shipley, and B Scott working the short flats sounds amazing. Keep Cosby for ST’s with Bryant and Caldwell providing amazing depth. I don’t want to jinx them, but this sounds like a Super Bowl team to me

5. By whodey2010 on Jul 26, 2010 | Reply

I have to admit that I was relieved when I heard we were out of the T.O. running earlier in the off season. I was also terrified when it came up again last week……But today I’m strangley comportable with it. After all, this is the big, over the top push I’ve been begging them to take since before the Warren Sapp incident. Mike Brown is finally in go-big-or-go-home mode. And if Carson, who is also getting the first true receiving Tight End of his career, is OK with this, that tells me it’s Super Bowl or Bust this year. I’m just curious as to who the new last man out is? Briscoe and Shipley would get claimed off the practice squad, so…..Matt Jones? This would sadden me because of the things he could potentially do for us(think what Randle-El used to do to us with Pittsburgh.) For the first time in many years, I’m gonna see more than a few guys get cut that will sadden me. But we’re that deep. Everywhere. This will be a special year, and thankfully next years draft class has 9 potential first round receivers in case we lose a solid young receiver in one great push to a Lombardi Trophy. If it pays off, well done. If not……This is drafting Jerome Simpson over DeSean Jackson all over again.

6. By hobsonschoice1 on Jul 27, 2010 | Reply

A T.O. signing doesn’t bode well for Matt Jones and Quan Cosby. In theory, slot guy Jordan Shipley wouldn’t get as many snaps if Owens signs and he would no doubt back up Adam Jones at punt returner. Matt Jones would seem to be an odd man out because he doesn’t play special teams or the slot and it would be left to two youngsters, Jerome Simpson and Dez Briscoe, to battle for the sixth spot that is going to be deactivated on game day.

7. By docdave24 on Jul 27, 2010 | Reply

Looks to me that they are either a) concerned about Bryant’s health. b) not too excited about Simpson’s progress.

8. By whodey2010 on Jul 27, 2010 | Reply

I think, since it’s an uncapped year, cut your loses with Bryant and eat the guarunteed money to free up cap room to keep J Joe AND Hall. There’s no reason to take a chance of paying a guy 7 mill a year when his knee may never heal right, and you may lose one half of the best young corner duo in the league. Roll with T.O. for this year, and if one of the young guys doesn’t show he’s ready to be a number 2 receiver by the end of the year, get one in the first round next year in what will be a VERY deep draft at that position, with 9 different guys that are projected to be first round talents. I’m just saying I’ve lived through KiJana, I’ve lived through Kenny Irons, and Chris Perry, and……I think I’ve made my point. If he’s STILL injured, get rid of him this year or we could see this all over again.