Waiting for Gresham

Posted by hobsonschoice1 on August 2, 2010 – 9:04 am

GEORGETOWN, Ky. - Marvin Lewis’ first depth chart contains few surprises, although it has one big caveat.

Even though he’s listed as the No. 1 tight end, rookie Jermaine Gresham is going to get moved to the back of the depth chart because he’s not here. Whether that means he’ll get moved back to No. 1 when he ends his holdout (now in its seventh practice) is anyone’s guess.

Released as the Bengals took the field for the first of two practices Monday, the depth chart also showed injured wide receiver Antonio Bryant (knee) ahead of Terrell Owens in the spot opposite Chad Ochocinco. Bryant didn’t practice again Monday morning and has missed six straight, but he remains No. 1 because if he was healthy he’d be the starter.

Andre Caldwell is listed as the third receiver behind Bryant and Owens, and Jerome Simpson is backing up The Ocho followed by Matt Jones. Third running back Brian Leonard is also listed as the backup fullback.

On defense, Adam Jones backs up Johnathan Joseph at left cornerback and on the right Morgan Trent is behind Leon Hall.  Rookie Brandon Ghee and David Jones are behind them. Converted defensive end Michael Johnson is backing up Rey Maualuga at SAM linebacker.

Mike Nugent is ahead of Dave Rayner at kicker.

9 Responses to “Waiting for Gresham”

1. By 34inXXIII on Aug 2, 2010 | Reply

I may be wrong, but they way this has publicly and swiftly played out appears to be a calculated move by Lewis to send a message to the Gresham camp that, while you may be our #1 guy for many, many years to come, your opportunity to assume that responsibility Week 1 is slipping away.

2. By atn1980 on Aug 2, 2010 | Reply

Hey Jeff, how is the O-line looking? I haven’t heard much about them since the signing of TO, but after being the biggest question mark of last camp… How are they progressing? I just read Peter King bashing Andre Smith and how the Bengals should have known that he wasn’t worthy of the 6th overall pick. But I’m much more interested in the positive than the negative. I’d like to know how Bobby Williams is holding up. If the battle at LG had any changes recently or if you’ve seen any more formations with Roland as the TE?

3. By bengalanthony13 on Aug 2, 2010 | Reply

Geoff –

Why does this happen EVERY year with the Bengals and their front office. They sit back and wait for the other contracts to unfold instead of taking the initiative and making the important step of getting the guy signed. Isn’t it painfilly obvious that of the first-rounders they’ve had over the last 10 years, the ones who have had little to no holdout time have been the most successful (Rivers, Hall, Joseph, Carson). I literally can only think of Carson and maybe Joseph as the only guys over the last 10 years that haven’t held out. It’s a joke. I find it hard to believe that it’s always because of “slotting”, the player and/or his agent. They know what they should make. Just sign the guy. Gresham’s holdout and Andre Smith are the ONLY two negative stories in this really exciting offseason. Can you provide some perspective on this?

4. By 2ndboot on Aug 2, 2010 | Reply

Just sign him? I guess some people have never even bought a car. An NFL contract I imagine is even worse..Offer this they decline..offer that and they want more and on it goes…
    I’m pleased though with recent reports that they finally came to terms at least that’s what Ocho is reporting..
    Unless I’m mistaken Mike Brown probably has a tough time even wanting to be in the same room with agents without wanting to just shoot one..I can’t honestly say i would blame him either. After all.. when was the last time anyone paid for a ticket to watch an agent do anything at all?

5. By hobsonschoice1 on Aug 2, 2010 | Reply

GUYS: I don’t think Marvin was sending a message to anyone there. I think it was a matter of mere bookeeping.

It seemed to me they had a pretty good feeling a few days ago that it was going to get done and, as Brat indicated before camp, you’re really in trouble if you miss the entire first week. Missing eight practices isn’t good, but Rivers missed a similar amount in ’08, started the opener, and had a good rookie year until the Hines Ward Shiver.

I hear you on the holdout stuff, but in the last 10 years the Bengals have had their share of big deals for veterans and that is where they prefer to put their money. Their answer has always been that they’re trying to get workable deals for their rookies so they can pay the guys that deserve it – the veterans.

Sure, they’re tougher than most clubs on this, but they figure if they can give untried Andre Smith a deal that doesn’t tie their hands trying to get a deal later for Johnathan Joseph or Leon Hall, or Cedric Benson, (or go get a Bryant or T.O) that’s the way to go.

Heck, you can debate it left and right.Sure, jump out on June 5, offer a 20-percent increase over last year. But how sound is that in this economy and a lock-out looming? Plus, there’s a good chance the agent is going to wait anyway untul someone else comes in.

I’ve got no answers there. But I’m using this as a moment of celebration. The last draft pick signed without a rookie wage scale. Funny, though. I have a feeling that Gresham might be one of those guys that is actually worth his rookie deal in his first year.

As for the O-line, they are getting a handful from the defensive front. Zimmer has them coming from every which way so while some times it looks ragged, it will be good for them. You’re still seeing some unablanced stuff and extra tackles. They’ll stick with it as long as its successful.

Bobbie looks pretty much the same. Solid.

I think Andre’s story has yet to be written. He hasn’t helped himself much since he left Alabama, but after talking to Chip Morton today it sounds like he’s going all out to get back on the field. And I think Andre is a good guy with a lot of talent who just has to figure out.

Didn’t we all at age 23?

Let’s face it. When they drafted 20-year-old Willie Anderson in 1996, they were getting a guy who was really 40 in the head. He and Levi Jones spoiled them because they were old beyond their years when it came to playing NFL tackle.

I’m probably with The King on that one. But I think Smith is a guy that’s going to get older as he gets older and that he’ll look more and more like a sixth pick.

6. By 34inXXIII on Aug 3, 2010 | Reply

Thanks for the info, Geoff. While I like to think I can be a rather knowledgeable fan much of the time, when it comes right down to it, I can still be nothing more than a presumptuous outsider every now & then with no concrete insight on a particular situation. Glad to be wrong about Marvin’s message and even happier that it means very little anyway with Gresham getting into camp as soon as today.

It’s also very encouraging to see some positive words about Andre Smith. The kid’s been playing from behind his entire NFL career, largely (no pun intended) of his own design. Maybe he’s finally found the right motivation, not to mention he seems to have the right people (Morton, for example) on his side. A little guidance from a talent like Dermonti Dawson shouldn’t hurt either.

7. By mwindle1973 on Aug 4, 2010 | Reply

If there was any doubt about our financial decisions over the last decade they should have been put to rest this season. Unlike most of the league who are fielding a bare bones discounted roster this year. We are one of 2 teams (the Pats being the other) who have spent like crazy in an uncapped year, without having to worry about the effect next season.

You don’t put your hopes in the hands of rookies. And you don’t put your money there either. We do what should be done IMO. Look at the Redskins. They overspend every year. They hand out mega contracts like it’s nothing. To FAs, draft picks, coaches. And they have nothing but a big lack of continuity. The Raiders would be another good example of a team that sacrifice being able to re-sign one of your best in order to get a rookie into camp 8 days earlier. It’s just not worth it. Gresham may be the best player on the team this year. But I’m sure he’s not being counted on. Because you can’t count on a rookie.

That said I think he could have an impact. You got 2 reports on his blocking during the pre draft stage. 1 was the Oklahoma version. WHich was he was a great inline blocker at the college level and had lined up inline a good amount. The rest of the football world said he was another guy who lined up in the slot his whole career and have to learn to play inline.

Obviously he’s quite a bit better than what was reported and the team version was closer to real. THere’s no way he spent 95 % of his time in the slot and came in here and took the starting job as soon as the ink left his pen.

Or is it just that the other TEs are so banged up still? How’s Reggie coming along? It would be nice to know that if all else fails we at least would have his great blocking to fall back on. Keep all 3 guys healthy and we should see a lot of 2 TE.

With T.O. signed the Single Back will be back more too. It really lifts some pressure on the FB situation to be able and run more Single Back and 2 TE formations and be able to run and pass out of both.

8. By mwindle1973 on Aug 5, 2010 | Reply

Who is available out there on the FA market at the FB position?

I don’t think Coates is going to be the answer if Fui goes down for awhile. I’m not sure Fui is the answer. I’m not aware of anyone better being out there right now. Is it possible when cut down time comes we could be looking at a FB then?

Also there still are some over the hill big name RBs out there. Jamal Lewis, Westbrook, Ahman Green. And some guys who have never really quite developed into big time RBs, or otherwise took there careers in a downward direction at some point after finding some success. Lamont Jordan & Ladell Betts. Plus teams like the Bills & Lions who are carrying 6 HBs now, have to cut some at some point.

Any chance we still pick up that back up bell cow that is so important to any team who is going to run first?

We’ve been like a shopaholic at Christmas this off season, why stop now?

9. By mwindle1973 on Aug 8, 2010 | Reply

Geoff, while were waiting on Gresham to come into his own, humor us with an answer to a piece of trivia if you don’t mind. Where or what is the building named after Dick LeBeau?

I also was born in London, Ohio. Lived in or around nearby S. Vienna my whole life. Dick and Harvey Haddix are the most famous athletes from this small farming area with the 2 towns separated by 7 miles of US route 40. Haddix is more well known in this area mainly because he spent most of his time after baseball living in this area. In fact his grandchildren and beyond still live in the area. Plus he had the most consecutive scoreless innings pitched record for many years and perhaps still does.

But I was never aware of a building named after LeBeau. London being a town of about 10-15,000 people, there really aren’t very many “buildings” to name. My best guess is it is at the new high school. But a half hour of internet research has brought out nothing but a half hour of articles about his HOF speech