Simpson, Cosby look to be in; Reports have Hebert, Graham cut

Posted by hobsonschoice1 on September 4, 2010 – 12:26 pm

The Bengals won’t release their cuts until 6 p.m. Saturday but they told the players several hours before the NFL’s deadline to get to 53 players and the list is coming together via Internet reports.

Various reports say the Bengals have cut special teams captain Kyries Hebert and kicker Dave Rayner, which makes Mike Nugent their kicker for the Sept. 12 opener in New England. With word out of Baltimore that the Ravens cut Shayne Graham, don’t expect the Bengals to pursue their kicker for the past seven seasons.

Those reports came on the heels of league sources saying that Matt Jones and Dez Briscoe have been cut, indicating that Jerome Simpson and Quan Cosby have won the final two spots on the Bengals wide receiver list with Chad Ochocinco, Terrell Owens, Jordan Shipley and Andre Caldwell.

Wide receiver Maurice Purify, who missed the last four preseason games with knee tendinitis, is expected to be put on some kind of injury list.

Additional reports have the Bengals cutting defensive tackle Clinton McDonald  and safety Marvin White. That’s two of the guys fighting for the last safety spot that are gone. McDonald, a sixth-round pick from ’09, is a guy they like and has practice squad eligibility remaining.

Tags: , , ,

14 Responses to “Simpson, Cosby look to be in; Reports have Hebert, Graham cut”

1. By theredbengal on Sep 4, 2010 | Reply

As expected, after the performances in the Indy game.

PFT reports that Graham was released by the Ravens. I really hope the Bengals don’t bring him back. His cowardly exit from PBS after the playoff game sealed his fate.

2. By petertf1 on Sep 4, 2010 | Reply

If Dez Briscoe gets cut it is a total sham. He didn’t get a real shot – probably because he was drafted lower and they have so much invested in Simpson. Dez is going to be a really good pro. He is better than Simpson right now. Simpson has not figured out the route tree yet. Unreal. Dez, you got hosed, buddy. Go prove them wrong.
    That being said, Owens, Ocho, Caldwell, & Shipley are going to be great. Add Gresham to the mix, and oh boy! Now we just need a fullback that can block!

3. By tochouno on Sep 4, 2010 | Reply

So the talk is that Matt jones and Dez briscoe have been cut from the team. Jones to me was the obvious cut(he just looked slow)but Briscoe? I’ve been racking my brain around this just like everyone else last few months lol and i personally had dez on my list. I know how much of a value Quan Cosby as been to Cincy, hes special teams play is definitely an asset. As much as i would hate to see him go MAYBE we could have moved on without him. Jerome has definitely shown flashes and stepped up this preseason but will he ever become an impact player like desean jackson? That was a huge miss for us; i hope now with another oppotunity and exp in the system he was worth the wait. Dez briscoe will not clear waivers or be on our practice squad, a team will definitely snatch him. I didnt feel like this guy got enough snaps to showcase his talent, i mean the only negative talk was his young age. Is that not a positive? considering he was a 2nd rd prospect and we stole him at the bottom of the draft. He’s college number speak for itself, he just simply makes plays and his hands and route running is crisp. Now, i understand the time to win is NOW but we still need to think future. T.O and Chad will still be a force but for how much longer? Either way i love the team and can’t wait for the season to start…WHO DEY!!!!

4. By bigdad616 on Sep 4, 2010 | Reply

Kyries Hebert has been a great contributor the last couple of years. He seems to have a great charachter and a great passion for the game. Here’s hoping he catches on somewhere quickly (outside the AFC North!).

Dunno about Shayne Graham. Definitely stay away from any kicker who’s a primadonna. Remember Vanderjagt in Indy – disaster! Nugent seems like a regular SW Ohio guy – can’t have enough of them.

5. By hobsonschoice1 on Sep 4, 2010 | Reply

RED: I’m sure it would be a two-way street. As much as the fans (and I suspect some of his old teammates) don’t want him back, he acted at the end like this is the last place he wanted to be, too. Imagine now.

I like Graham and his story of hanging in against the odds. He’s done a lot of great work on behalf of the military. There are those here that thought success changed him and, who knows? I do know that the way he ended his time here, with two uncharacteristic short misses and then a rare ducking of the media, left a bad tatse in everyone’s mouth.

If the reports hold up and Nugent is the kicker, it seems like a pretty good way to start over. The new guy was literally in the womb watching the Bengals go to their first Super Bowl 28 years ago, so the karma is pretty good and Graham can start over somewhere else, too.

6. By coachwine on Sep 4, 2010 | Reply

Nugent has to stay. The last bengal kicker with a leg like his was a psycho. His accuracy and carry beyond 50 has to give him the edge. As for the complaint that his kickoffs weren’t long enough–we survived Graham’s kickoffs for years and nobody complained.

Say no no no to TJ and Graham. They both big timed it, so let them reap the reward. Why pick up an old guy so you can sit Shipley and Crawford. Makes no sense.

It was three years before TJ caught on, Simpson has certainly earned his shot with solid play throughout the pre-season.

I know that Carson and the DB’s have said good things about Purify, but is he really going to be a consistent target?

The Bengals have a better chance of winning with Jordan at QB than with Deer in the headlights JT, not that they will cut either loose.

Actually what I thought would be some agonizing cuts became apparent through through the pre-season. You just hate that a guy like Briscoe will be gobbled up. But a receiver early in the next draft that can contribute right away will heal the pain.

7. By coachwine on Sep 4, 2010 | Reply

My apologies to Andre Caldwell for calling him Crawford. I don’t know if that can be attributed to senility or an out of site out of mind matter. He has been very quiet. Ah, probably the former, I’m old.

8. By bengalinthedesert on Sep 4, 2010 | Reply

Dear Geoff,
    Thank you for keeping us all up to date with your blog.
    Since I read the story about Housh, I cannot stop thinking that he could be the last piece to the offense’s puzzle. Palmer, Chad, T.O., Benson, Gresham, AND Housh?
    I am sure you know all the pro’s and cons of bringing him back, so I just want to ask if you see any way that Housh could show up in Bengal stripes this year.
    A response would be truly appreciated.
    Sincerely,
    Joseph

9. By tralfaz1127 on Sep 4, 2010 | Reply

I wish everyone would quit crying about Briscoe. The entire NFL passed on him until we took him in the 7th round and your acting like he was an untouchable. The Bengals for years have made moves always thinking about a possible future as opposed to right now. We already have Shipley, Caldwell, Cosby, and Simpson as young receivers for after OchoTO. Give Simpson a break, if you remember TJ did nothing early in his career and we kept him, putting up with bad hamstrings, etc…. giving him time and finally he broke loose. Simpson has the athletic ability that when the light turns on he can be ungardable. It would be nice to get Briscoe to the practice squad, but if not this team is still loaded. Best Bengals roster ( except for backup QB) that I’ve seen since the late 80’s.

10. By hobsonschoice1 on Sep 4, 2010 | Reply

If there is one cut that is going to get second-guessed, it is Briscoe. He’s got 10-year NFL guy written all over him. But what is going to be his career yards per? Simpson has a chance to rack up some big plays and get into the 15, 16-range a la Chris Henry.

But, again, Simpson might not even be active for a lot of games. So why keep him? Keep Briscoe, deactivate him all year, and develop him.

Yet, they’ve invested so much time and value (second-round pick)into Simpson, you’ve got to believe they saw enough in the preseason to believe he’s going to help them in some games.

It does show you that going after T.J. Houshmandzadeh would be great for nostalgia, but it does nothing to young up a position that has two starters with a combined 25 NFL seasons.

11. By looking4sb1 on Sep 4, 2010 | Reply

I give the Bengals credit for sticking with Simpson. It took Chad and TJ three years before either of them became major contributors. I would expect at least four to five years before Simpson is a major contributor simply because he didn’t come from a larger program like Oregon. He has shown improvement and the work ethic. Give him the time and the Bengals will have a starting WR sitting in their lap for the next 5-7 years. The only problem is that we did reach for him in the second round. My thought was that he should have been a fourth rounder due to his small school status.

Briscoe is going to be tough to let go. I really hope he somehow slips through to our practice squad. But keeping Cosby is the wise choice. It amazes me how many people underestimate the impact special teams play has on games. I have a feeling we are going to be really spoiled for the next two years with Adam Jones in the fold.

Final note: PLEASE DO NOT SIGN TJ OR GRAHAM!!! These guys wanted more money than they were worth and hurt the team as result. We cannot bring back these players who had the ultimate “me first” attitude.

12. By kaptkurt on Sep 4, 2010 | Reply

I did some research and found the only rookie draft choice cut (and signed to the practice squad) in the Marvin Lewis era to land on an NFL roster has been Matt Toeaina and he’s a journeyman at best. Unfortunately, now that the talent level has improved we can expect this sort of thing happening. I hope we haven’t cut a ten year quality WR to keep a 4th TE or RB that won’t contribute now or in the future.

13. By 2ndboot on Sep 4, 2010 | Reply

Graham..cowardly? C’mon folks. TO was called the cancer and now he’s welcomed with open arms.. TJ is also called ‘cancer’.. personally that’s a way overused label if ever there was one. What it really boils down to is some people simply hate others, but none are cancers and I seriously doubt Graham is a coward. Graham was already on everyone’s ‘hate’ list so why stick around to take a pointless brow beating? Would you?
    Heck, Coats tweet was taken completely out of context so I pay zero attention to these lables.
    Even as much as I like Cosby I still question his value as a reciever with 4 all last year for 55 yards and a pair of fumbles (from stats page). Toughness, ambition and all that are great attributes, but so are numbers which leaves me a bit split on the TJ issue. It’s not as IF he doesn’t have the experience and 32 years old isn’t exactly what I call elderly and as far aswords said f anyone remembers Dillon saying on national TV about the bengals..”They don’t even wanna win”.. Yet they forgive that over merely wanting to be compensated and wanting to win?

14. By leejohn123 on Sep 5, 2010 | Reply

What Are the bengals thnking? They should have dump Caldwell And Simspon! Caldwell is inconsistient and simspon wont ecer get on the field.Crosby is a nice return man..especially on punt return.But hes not a better KR than bernard scott and pacman and he not a better PR than pac man.But he is a solid player who deserve to make thwe team.HOw do you let go mattt jones???THis dude is 6’6 214..4.4 speed, need i say he can throw the ball?How do u say wildcat in ohio!this dude is a freak!and didnt get his oppurtunity to be on the team.Dez i dont know too much about. But why u give away herbert? this dude hits hard and goes all out when i seen him play!they should have given nwduke up too because reggie nelson is a animal…and automacilly should be startin!