Butch spreads the word on LeFevour

Posted by hobsonschoice1 on September 6, 2010 – 12:28 am

What about Butch Jones, the University of Cincinnati’s tireless head coach?

After a cross-country trip to Fresno State for a loss in his debut, Jones emerged Sunday night from the bunker rasping enthusiastically about the newest Bengal. Jones and rookie quarterback Dan LeFevour were quite a duo at Central Michigan last season.

As Jones put the finishing touches on a resume that got him the job at Big East champion Cincinnati, LeFevour capped a run that got him drafted by the Bears in the sixth-round after he became the only player in NCAA major school history with more than 12,000 career passing yards and 2,500 career rushing yards.

“He’s great athletically, but he’s also very cerebral,” Jones said Sunday night. “I talked to him and he’s very excited to be coming to a great organization where the expectations are so high. And he knows the opportunity to work with a quarterback like Carson Palmer is going to really help him.”

Jones has no doubts that a spread quarterback can make it in the NFL. LeFevour admits the transition from the shotgun to under center has been tough, but Jones says it can be done.

“We taught The Spread with pro concepts,” Jones said. “We talked about rhythm, timing, spacing. I don’t think there’s any question that you can make that jump. And Dan is a guy that is going to work at it and study it. He’s a smart guy.”

9 Responses to “Butch spreads the word on LeFevour”

1. By bigdad616 on Sep 6, 2010 | Reply

Presuming LeFevour is on the team all year – and I’m not yet convinced of that – this will work out well. Based on how he works during the year, we will know whether drafting a ‘qb of the future’ is worthwhile next year. Given that safety and wide receiver may be priorities in that draft, this is a move right now that will help us a lot at that point.

Shame about Briscoe, that’s life in the NFL, you can’t keep ‘em all. Now, let’s beat the Pats!!

2. By 2ndboot on Sep 6, 2010 | Reply

You know.. it seems colleges, if they wanted to get their players to the pro’s would stop all the spread offenses and use pro-style O’s, but then again.lke the NFL they too are bent on selling tickets..
    Maybe the NCAA really ought to just go ahead and pay college players if what they’re doing to training them for the pro’s anyway instead of using all the money for sports alone and only paying coaching staffs.. i dunno..
    I’m expecting any time to see the for profit schools such as westwood, kaplan, etc to start trying to snooker students on “sports management’ and make them believe they’ll get sure-fire NFL, MLB or NBA careers with a 6 month certificate program.. Wouldn’t surprise me in the least actually.
    Well, that’s off topic, but it’s good that Lefevour comes recomended with us. ;) Besides..I’m French.. Where do you think i got this outrageous accent?

3. By kaptkurt on Sep 7, 2010 | Reply

Please explain this move to me. All season long all I hear is we need a backup that can fill in if Carson Palmer gets nicked. Not sure but you probably wrote about it on one or more occasions. We already have a young QB that we are grooming, why bring in another one. I would have much rather seen a QB that has started in the NFL at some point in his career. Isn’t this a move we make going into the offseason. I’ve scracthed my head and said “I understand this move” with most of the player moves so far but with this one, I’m just scratching my head. Hobby, please enlighten me.

4. By 34inXXIII on Sep 7, 2010 | Reply

kaptkurt, we’ve had backups w/NFL experience and the fans keep pushing them out the door. Kitna, Fitzpatrick, O’Sullivan….the fans generally loved them until they were actually needed in a game that mattered. Maybe the coaching staff is in agreement on the band aid approach to the Carson backup plan. Apparently, they’ve groomed Jordan enough to be at least as comfortable with him as their previous #2s, affording them the luxury of exploring a potential long-term solution in LeFevour. Just a guess.

5. By 303bengalguy on Sep 7, 2010 | Reply

I think the move was made because JT just flat out wasn’t impressive this preseason (or really ever). Thus, why not get a younger, cheaper guy that they obviously had their sights on in the draft for one reason or another, and realize that as Carson goes, so goes this season either way. Not that Carson needs replacing anytime soon but JT wasn’t a long term solution here, Jordan probably isn’t and if there was some intrigue in LeFevour before the draft, why not take a crack at the guy when he became available when you weren’t really giving up on anything else promising, to secure him in O’Sullivan?

6. By fivecentcmu on Sep 7, 2010 | Reply

Trust me..as a former CMU Chippewa football player, LeFevour is the real deal. He always found a way to get it done. Chicago really missed on this one and will likely be kicking themselves a couple years down the road when LeFevour is leading the Bengals to multiple victories. He is a winner…just ask anyone who has watched him at CMU…that is why Butch Jones is so set on championing LeFevours cause. He knows how many close games were won by the arm and legs of LeFevour. At CMU, he had weapons like Antonio Brown, Kito Poblah, and Bryan Anderson…just a younger version of Ocho, TO, Shipley combo. I can’t wait to watch him develop into a star QB in the NFL.

7. By dividetheday on Sep 7, 2010 | Reply

Jordan looks Good. I Definitely think he’s a good number 2 just needs more game experience.

8. By gievses on Sep 9, 2010 | Reply

Any thoughts on the Bengals bringing in Owen Schmitt he is a young strong FB and Ray Lewis already said he would be nervous about playing against him. (See the Maryland vs. WVU @ Maryland game in 2007)

9. By dominiedirtch on Sep 9, 2010 | Reply

LeFevour is going to be a winning QB in the NFL in the mold of Brady, Matt Cassel and Kurt Warner — low or no draft picks who work hard, have brains and a desire to win. I’m confident he’ll be winning games for the Bengals in a couple of years.