Another look

Posted by hobsonschoice1 on October 25, 2010 – 2:50 pm

A few murmurings from Sunday’s 39-32 loss before the media meets with head coach Marvin Lewis Monday afternoon:

» Every time the Bengals get clobbered on defense, it always seems like the offense is max protecting instead of spreading the field, giving the quarterback easy three-to-five step drops with receivers over the middle, or rolling him out, and pounding the ball often enough that play-action works. Even if they have just one guy in the route (see Roddy White’s 43-yard TD bomb), he’s open. It just doesn’t seem very complicated. It always looks like the Bengals ask an awful lot out of quarterback Carson Palmer.

» NEW LOOK: How are the Palmer haters out there? I thought he carried them on his back most of the day and after repeat views of the replay of that late long ball to Terrell Owens that would have tied it and Palmer says he underthrew, I’m not too sure. I’ve got to rethink it. Palmer makes a great read on Owens’ double move and lofts it up nice. Some think Owens should have been able to control his body to a) stop, catch and turn inside the 5 and b) not step out of bounds.

Tough call. But this I do know:

How can y0u not be impressed by Palmer? To conduct a no-huddle in the most hostile of conditions, have so much on his plate when it comes to reading and being asked to make the tough throws, and to watch him put up three  touchdown drives in the second half and throw for 412 yards on 72 percent passing, that’s a hell of a day in the National Football League for a quarterback. And there are national pundits saying they should cut him? There should be some heavy edits there.

And not only that, he stands up to take the blame for missing on the biggest play of the game besides running back Cedric Benson’s fumble. And that could be debated. I know I said he failed because they lost, but on second thought, he made it as close as it was.

One thing you can’t debate: They’re lucky to have him on the field and in the locker room.

» Am I nuts? I thought the guys that kept the thing together and prevented the Bengals from getting blown out something like 45-10 were not only Palmer, but Owens, Benson and cornerback Adam Jones. The bigger the hole, the harder those guys played and I think their competitive spirit spread. Benson was crawling, diving and banging down 17-3. Owens came out in the second half down 24-3 and took the game over. Asked the kid he blocked into Marietta on Jordan Shipley’s TD. Jones got beat deep, but kept bouncing back, cheerleading on the sidelines, popping a kick return, and making that strip-and-score that should have turned around the season.

The one downer was Benson’s unforced fumble that led to the winning TD. He said it himself. Inexcusable. He’s doing a slow burn putting that one on top of the one in Cleveland three weeks ago. Look for some intense runs early against the Dolphins this Sunday.

» Most disappointing part of the day? For the third straight game there was absolutely no resistance from the defense when they needed it most. Early and late.

22 Responses to “Another look”

1. By tkr6 on Oct 25, 2010 | Reply

Penalties, field goals in the red zone, players quitting on plays (Chad J.), and missed assignments all have one thing in common, poor coaching. It is time to assess if Marvin Lewis has what it takes to be a Head Coach in the NFL. Chad Johnson should have been traded before TJ. Does Chad really believe he belongs in Canton, LMAO!

2. By bengalpirate on Oct 25, 2010 | Reply

I agree with you that Benson, Owens and Jones kept the Bengals in the game physically and emotionally and I commend the team and coaches for not quitting and WOW!!! what a 3rd quarter!!! The 2nd half effort is what kept from getting into a funk last night and today. Unfortunately, we dug ourselves too deep a hole to climb out of and by the 4th quarter we ran out of steam and injuries caught up with the Bengals. Roddy White is one of the top 3 receivers in the league and he showed it yesterday with a monster game, but I wonder if he would have had as good of a game if Joseph was able to go. I think Adam Jones played a great game, but White was on fire and it might not have matter who covered him. Adam Jones showed the kind of fire and spunk that the defense needs to play with to win.

This team is close to where it needs to be to roll off some wins, as the offensive line is starting to gel, T.Ocho is looking good to go, Cedric is hungry, defense is dinged up, but still capable of dominating. We have to avoid the trap of losing to Miami, keep your chin up Cedric, T.O. Ocho, DEFENSE and things will go your way. If you can just find a way to beat Miami and start the way back with a win, things will turn for the better. WHO DEY!!! for not giving up yesterday.

3. By tralfaz1127 on Oct 25, 2010 | Reply

Totally agree with your take on the supposed “bad apples” the bengals brought in. The media has been trying to make a story out of bad chemistry that just isn’t there. But seriously a D because of the miss on TO, a ball he still should have caught in bounds instead of trying to make the miracle touchdown play? I’d like to know the grade on the coaching staff that for 2 years hasn’t been able to discipline the pre-snap penalties killing this team on both sides of the ball. Love your work Hob’.

4. By whodeyzeppelins on Oct 25, 2010 | Reply

Great post, Hob. It pains me to see the defense get eaten up on the line. The Bengals are putting too much pressure on the cornerbacks and safeties. Something needs to happen with the D-line and linebackers. I’ve seen Maualuga and Jones get beat on too many open field tackles and in coverage. Also, the D-line needs to get pressure in some fashion. I would like to see them upset the composure & rhythm of the QB, hopefully causing more turnovers. I know this team can be great. Every team left on the schedule has shown themselves to be beatable. Bengals fan for life.

5. By 2ndboot on Oct 25, 2010 | Reply

Bengals, I’ve been a fan for over 40 years. At 52 I’ve followed since i was old enough to comprehend and in all those years it’s been disappointment after disappointment and now my health is in tatters and so is the rest of my life the last thing I need is this kind of disappointment to go with it. it pains me to say this, but we’re done.
    I’ll check back in at the end of this season to see how they do, but if it’s as I think it will be that will be the last time. At this point with this schedule I don’t see this team beating anyone again.
    To many fans have acted like Mike Zimmer is a defensive God and this defense has done nothing but go to hell since last year.. Yeah, like the other God, suffer is the name of the game alright.
    Later Mikey boy,. The only thing you’re able to win is fans money, but not two seasons in a row.
    Prove me wrong and I might consider coming back, but for now I have better things to worry about on Sundays.

6. By overthroensamoan on Oct 25, 2010 | Reply

Zim needs to ditch the “Nobody wanted you guys” approach cause now we’re finding out exactly why nobody wanted em!!!! It was good to see CP look like a franchise QB again. But this D is dreadful. One thing I do know MIke Brown better make it priority #1 to make sure Joseph comes back. Would liked to have seen JJ and White matched uped.

7. By durite13 on Oct 25, 2010 | Reply

Carson Palmer still great QB the thing nobody talks about is the loss of Hue Jackson, look what he has done everywhere he has been. He made Ocho and TJ, Joe Flacco in baltimore now Oakland looks like the bengals did when he was here. Fire Bratkowski hire Hue Jackson as head Coach assistant and Off Coordinator. Also Rasheed Jeanty was a preety good back up defenseive linebacker he is missing and what about Rey havent heard a lot about him this year either……takes more than one player to make a team gosh you all know this……

8. By mwindle1973 on Oct 26, 2010 | Reply

Just a little trivia…name the only team to start 1-5 (Cowboy’s loss started this subject) or worse and still make the playoffs. Yes, it’s only happened once.

The answer would be the 1970 Bengals. Who started off winning the opener then dropping 6 straight, to fall to 1-6. Then winning 7 straight to finish 8-6 and win the AFC North.

Your right Hobs, I’ve been saying it all season. The pundits are nuts. First they are comparing Palmer to his past not the other QBs in the league. Even with some bad games this season, he’s far better than most. I think Boomer stated it best, his confidence is still wavering at times.

IDK to me it all comes back to protection. It doesn’t matter if we protected better Sunday. We let Carson be hit too much. He has someone in his face half the time. All that said, the media just keeps ignoring the big numbers he’s putting up, and want to keep the Carson is done storyline going.

On D I think the injuries to J Joe, and Roy Williams are really hurting. A lot of the blitzing we do is predicated on putting both corners on an island. And Roy just cleans up runs that get to second level as quick as any. I also think that guys are playing with intensity, but are not thinking too well. If I had to see Brandon Johnson take a bad angle on a Roddy White tackle again IDK what I’d have done. It was indicative of our D that day. Trying to do too much and not doing enough of what is needed.

9. By phlockar on Oct 26, 2010 | Reply

It comes down to the lines on both sides of the ball and we don’t have what it takes this year, especially on defense. We can’t put all that pressure on the cornerbacks to handle man to man while our line and a few blitzers get stood up and the opposing QB waits for the receiver to get open. Our Oline can’t pass protect. That’s it, plain and simple. It’s very frustrating watching other teams play and their QB gets plenty of time to throw but when Carson drops back he gets hit on a 3 step drop.

2ndboot. You’re giving up now on this team at this point? How did you ever make it through the Dick LeBeau years? Mainly 2002. I’m not going to say we’re going to turn it around and win the division, but the season is not over. These players are professionals and will fight all season to win. There is no reason we as fans should not do the same.

10. By tepidfan31 on Oct 26, 2010 | Reply

The best on Sunday was Carson’s performance; he out performed his critics, including myself. The worst aspects of Sunday on offense was the play calling, when not in the “no huddle”, and defense on the perimeter runs the OL and LB’s are blocked leaving a lone DB, who was also being blocked, to make the tackle. They had a couple of runs inside, but no tackling even when unblocked. Then, even though a 3-5 step drop, and whether we blitzed or not, there was very little pressure on the QB. We simply do not have a single good pass rusher, and without pressure we are leaving our CBs on an island against very good receivers. We may be able to correct the run problems, but doubt that we can overcome the anticipated play calling and the lack of a pass rush.

11. By tepidfan31 on Oct 26, 2010 | Reply

Sorry, defense, the DL not the OL.

12. By tepidfan31 on Oct 26, 2010 | Reply

Not to bore you, but one other comment. Since we do much better with Palmer calling the plays out of the “no huddle”, and poorly with Brat calling the plays out of the “huddle”, why shouldn’t Palmer call his own plays?

13. By bengalpirate on Oct 26, 2010 | Reply

Ahoy, 2ndboot, ARRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!! “Don’t give up the ship!” All Hands on deck. we “have just begun to fight” Obviously, I’m a big Navy and pirate historian, but seriously though, 2ndboot, please don’t give up on the Bengals now. I too live and die with the Bengals games and sometimes it is an emotional roller coaster ride, but I can only ask that based on the Bengals 3rd and 4th quarter performances against the Falcons that you hang in there with the rest of us. If, and it is a big if, the Bengals can find a way to win Sunday against Miami, I think we have a chance to turn things around for the better. I am truly sorry to hear about your health and other situations and I wish you well, but I was in a bad way last year and the only thing that kept going until this year was the 2009 Bengals success. Overall, the Bengals have come close to winning it all 2 times, but lost to perhaps the greatest dynasty in our time in the 49′ers. At least we were respectable in both losses. Those 2 games were 2 of the greatest Super Bowls ever and I’m proud we played as well as we did, but yeah, it does suck that we didn’t win at least one of them. However, that is how it is in the sports world and at least we have made it to the Super Bowl twice, while there are still a few teams that have never even made it to the Super Bowl once. Heck, I and many other Buckeye fans had to wait just over 34 years for another NCAA football championship and look at the poor Chicago Cubs fans and the curse of the goat. As far as I know, the Bengals don’t have a curse hanging over them, so hang in there brother and things will get better. Who Dey to you 2ndboot.

14. By rparr32 on Oct 26, 2010 | Reply

Hey Tepidfan31, I have been saying that all year, but unfortunatly I have nobody to say it too that can make changes, and they probably wouldn’t listen anyways. I am just a dumb fan, with no football knowledge. How about we just fire Brat instead? Sounds like they are 4 years late on that anyways, but what else is new? The bengals are always late.

Sincerely,
    A bengals fan wondering where everyone’s common sense is.

15. By rparr32 on Oct 26, 2010 | Reply

Late snapping the ball before the play clock expires, late on calling timeouts when they are supposed to be called, late on scoring points to control the game, late on firing coaches that dont deserve to be here, late on listening to the fans (the same people who pay the bills). Just flat out late on everything!!!!!!!!!!!!

16. By naitjungle on Oct 26, 2010 | Reply

NFC North football= Run first Offense and Hard Nosed Defense. That was the winning formula last year with an injured CP and lack of quality Wr’s. Its pretty simple, if carson isn’t getting enough time to throw the ball then Run the ball. We keep starting the game trying to pass the ball instead of getting our run game going. Someone please tell Brat the bengals are not and never will be the 99 rams. If the bengals make the run game the first priority and stick to the run game, every thing else will improve. Carson will have more time to throw. PA passes will help our WR’s get open, and our defense will get better as well. Due to the fact the bengals will control the tempo, clock and amount of time our defense is on the feild.RUN THE BALL BENGALS-WHO DEY

17. By redhawk8 on Oct 26, 2010 | Reply

Hobs….

I am proud to say that I have never bought in to all the criticism of Carson Palmer. For one, he is one of the most “stand up” people you will ever find….taking blame often when it isn’t his to take. Has he had a few uncharacteristic games this year….yes….did the porous pass protection contribute in a big way…..HECK yes. You can’t expect great numbers from your QB when he gets hit or has to run on over half the pass plays. His numbers this week were great because, for the most part, he had time to throw. Let’s hope that keeps up.

As for the D….pressure on the opposing QB is the key….with a sprinkle of better tackling. We have to find a way to get pressure from the front four so that our very good corners don’t have to cover for so long. As for the tackling, is it just me, or does it seem like it’s always D. Jones or Rey missing a key tackle or taking a bad angle? I’m sure others contribute…but they seem like the biggest offenders.

I feel like if the Bengals can just put together a good game on both sides of the ball against the Dolphins and win…..there is a chance to make something of this season.

I won’t stop supporting this team….no matter what…anyway. I’ve been a Bengal fan for 47 years (since birth!!!)….and I will be for 47 more (I hope!!!).

18. By kaptkurt on Oct 27, 2010 | Reply

This is looking like the worst year ever for the Bengals. The championship expectations were realistic and not the lip service fans have been getting for decades. I was prepared to watch a deep run into the playoffs or heaven forbid, a championship year for our team. In the past, we’ve always known we are not an elite team and could take joy in beating Pittsburgh, Cleveland, or Baltimore. but this year was going to be “THE YEAR”.

I understand your frustration 2ndboot and let me add my embarassment from last weekend. On the pregame show, one of the commentators said the problem in cincy had to be management. Boomer gets up walks over to the guy and gives him a hug. I get it. I’ve been the biggest Mike Brown advocate out there but I’ve seen the light. Paul Brown was the greatest NFL owner, GM, and coach in the history of the game. Mike Brown is arguably the worst. The only person that is even close is Al Davis but at least he won superbowls. The Bengals haven’t come close since Paul Brown passed on. If the Browns and Blackburns worked for any other franchise in the NFL, or in any sport for that matter, they would have been let go a long time ago. Mike Brown needs to bring in a director of football operations or at least a GM and hold them accountable. Everyone involved with this team knows that their jobs are safe. Everything about this franchise from the top down is “Oh well, we’ll try again next year. My job is safe”. It’s even gotten to the point that our fans are ok with mediocrity. ,

19. By wardlowkd on Oct 27, 2010 | Reply

First off, let’s all face the facts: The good thing about this team is also the bad thing. This team is run as a family and not as a business. Players (in recent years) love playing for Cincinnati. The problem is often times the coaching staff and front office forget this is ultimately a business, and good business is winning. The problem with our offense is not the players, rather the coaching staff.

On to the defense: We aren’t getting any sacks, or any pressure. Our defensive line didn’t get either of those last year either. Please don’t mention Odom’s 8 sacks last season. Let’s be honest here: 5 of them came in one game. Geathers had 3 sacks all last season (don’t quote may i may be slightly off). Peko has 2 (again don’t quote me). Tank had 3 (again). Then Fanane put up 6 sacks in half a season! Finally some pressure. Our younger players aren’t out getting 10 sacks a season, but why keep in veterans on the down-side of their careers when we can be giving our EXTREMELY TALENTED young guys experience.

At this time in the season it’s time to come out swinging. With our schedule, we’re not going to come close to the playoff unless we completely change overnight. I say let the young guys get some experience and let the dogs loose. The young guys are the ones looking for blood. The vets are the ones looking for the paycheck and camera-time before they retire.

Food for thought: Why on Earth did we get rid of over half of our draft picks (the coaches knew they didn’t have a chance in He!! of making the team) when we could have packaged a deal to grab a player like Mays? We have all the pieces to the puzzle, but between the coaches and front office, nobody can work together to put it all together. It’s time to forget about the past glory of 2005 and start thinking about this season and next season.

20. By mwindle1973 on Oct 28, 2010 | Reply

Do people give up and throw a fit this easily in real lif when met by frustration? There are 8 teams in the AFC with 3 losses or more.

It’s simple. We really need to take the home games against Miami, Buffalo & San Diego. We also need to take 3 out 4 of the remaining division games. That puts us at 8-5. With road games at Indy & the Jets, and a home game against the Saints. It’s reallya question of whether 9-7 can get you in or not. If not we would have to take 2 of the last 3 games I mentioned. Which will be tough.

Sure you say we couldn’t beat Cleveland or Tampa how do we beat one of those teams. Well the Saints were beaten by Cleveland, and Indy isn’t the same team this year. The Jets look great, but how often does a team start the season this strong and hold form until week 17? I still think people have underestimated how good the teams we have played already are. It doesn’t matter what there record is. The Browns have been ahead of every team the played and all but one game had the lead going into the 4th quarter. Carolina has played all but one team close. The Browns have played teams with a combined record of 25-12 excluding us.

The teams we lost too are 16-10 combined. The Pats are 5-1, The Falcons 5-2 and arguably the best team in the NFC, and the Bucs 4-2.

At this point the only teams you count out are the ones with 1 or 0 wins. The ones at 2-5 are pretty much gone too. But at 2-4 your not done yet. You’ve put yourself too close to the door that’s for sure. But at 2-4 your still on that bubble, you could easily be 2-6 and out of things by midway, or you could be 4-4 and right back in it.

21. By tepidfan31 on Oct 29, 2010 | Reply

Geoff, not pertinent to this blog, but I, and I think most of your blogers, would like to hear what you believe are Marvin’s appraisals of our last draft class. We know he thinks highly of Shipley; but has Atkins, although he plays, proved to have upside potential; what about Gresham, why hasn’t he been thrown more balls – is it route running, understand, blocking or what; what about all the others, do any have the potential to develop into very good starters, or are they back-ups, or busts?

22. By dagohshon on Nov 2, 2010 | Reply

I just looked at the stats and one telling statistic is the rushing yards per attempt. The Bengals have dropped from 9th (4.1 16 games 2009) to 23 (3.8). Passing is a complex art but rushing is just straight ahead smack mouth football. If the rushing is falling off, the O-line just isn’t getting it done.
    Defense has the same problem. After 7 games then Bengals rank 29th with a total of 6 sacks. For 2009, the Bengals had 34 sacks in 16 games. Many of those came off the edge thanks to Antwon Odom. The D-line (especially the interior) isn’t getting it done.