More apologies to Lance and The King

Posted by hobsonschoice1 on October 27, 2010 – 7:02 am

A request for an I Think I Believe is granted. Naturally, with apologies to Cincinnati Sports Talkmaster Lance McAlister and Sports Illustrated titan Peter King.

I Think I Believe if you had told me 27 days ago that in  the first three games of October, Bengals quarterback Carson Palmer would have seven touchdown passes and three interceptions for 992 yards in leading the Bengals to 73 points, I would have told you they must be 5-1.

I Think I Believe I would have lost Lance’s I Believe T-shirt right off my back because there is no way the defense lets Cleveland’s Peyton Hillis get 102 yards, or Tampa Bay score 10 points in the final 1:26, or Atlanta to have four touchdown drives of at least 74 yards. No way.

I Think I Believe the most stunning thing about the defense giving up 39 points to the Falcons is the lack of tackling from the linebackers. Middle linebacker Dhani Jones is the brains of the outfit and Rey Maualuga and Keith Rivers bring the athletic lumber, but there was nothing going on there Sunday from three guys that are usually pretty solid. I Think I Believe they have to be thinking about putting Maualuga in the middle, but how do you sit the captain and signal-caller of your unit in Jones?

I Think I Believe the most stunning defensive stat of the season is six sacks in six games despite the presence of two very talented kids in Michael Johnson at right end and Geno Atkins at tackle. You’d think one of them would make more than one play like the sack they shared against Baltimore. Maybe that’s it. They’re young. But no scout is going to sit there and tell you they can’t play.

I Think I Believe the Bengals do have a little bit of karma going into Sunday’s Paul Brown Stadium game against Miami on the last day of October. The Bengals have never had a winless month when Palmer has started all the games. They went 0-for September and October in 2008 when he missed games in each month.

After one game, I Think I Believe I am winning my bet with Mo Egger, the versatile voice of ESPN 1530 in Cincinnati. He owes me a coffee at my next Bengals roundtable if Palmer isn’t the slumping bust he has been talking about. Palmer showed in Atlanta he can do all the things he did in 2005 and 2006.

I Think I Believe that rookie wide receiver Jordan Shipley is in the top four draft picks of the Marvin Lewis era, right there with Palmer, Leon Hall and Johnathan Joseph.

I Think I Believe that Bengals great Ken Anderson is going to go into the Pro Football Hall of Fame, but it is going to be as a senior candidate in the next five years and not this year in his final year of eligibility on the regular ballot. The Cincinnati selector to the Hall, The Cincinnati Enquirer’s Joe Reedy, has to have his ballot in this Friday as the 44 voters whittle the list from 113 to 25. Then the vote from 25 to the final 15 should be announced the first week of the New Year.

Anderson is on the big list and Reedy says he has an outside shot at making the final 25. It is a struggle, though. You’ve got the 10 guys of last year’s final 15 that didn’t make it, plus four first-year guys that look like they’re going to make it: Deion Sanders, Marshall Faulk, Curtis Martin, Jerome Bettis. So that’s already 14.

Reedy is doing some lobbying and here are my three favorite Anderson arguments I’ve been pushing since 1991:

» He’s the only eligible quarterback with more than three NFL passing titles (four) who isn’t in.

» He’s the only man to win back-to-back passing titles in different decades (1974-75, 1981-82). Peyton Manning may do it, but he hasn’t done it yet. It shows he was at the top in two different eras of offense: Smash-mouth and wide open.

» He was no dinker and dunker. He has the same career yards per attempt (7.3) as 2005 inductee Dan Marino.

Good luck, Joe. You’ve got reason and sanity on your side.

8 Responses to “More apologies to Lance and The King”

1. By 454rat on Oct 27, 2010 | Reply

The six sacks are atrocious. There are 14 players out there with at least six sacks, two on the same team! Another 6 with five. I think it is high time Jay Hayes is held accountable along with the players for the abysmal line play. Does he teach these young guys anything? They come in with ability to rush the passer, but now they have no rush skills at all. Geathers has done nothing since he signed his contract. Peko tackles runners that come his way. Tank is invisible. No one has any fire. It is not exciting to watch.
    I also think Paul Alexander should be held accountable for the pre-snap penalty problems that have plagued this team since the first pre-season game. Eleven games have been played and nothing has changed. Both lines play poorly. Poor line play always leads to a poor record.

2. By pacomomogoose on Oct 27, 2010 | Reply

454rat is 100% right… no fire and not exciting to watch at all. Sad.

3. By blester01 on Oct 28, 2010 | Reply

I don’t get it… This team has been flat since day one of the preseason when they got beat down on national TV by Jerry’s kids.

It is as if they know Marvin is leaving this team at the end of the season b/c Mike Brown is not going to hand over control of the team. The players feed off the coaches, but if they know the head coach has given up his fight so will the players. That is the only rational explanation I come up with to explain their behavior that we have seen every week.

Regarding the offensive woes, it is the responsibility of the offensive coordinator to take care of the pre-snap penalties and make sure that guys line up properly; not Marvin’s. Brat has never proven that he is a top notch OC, and we have had these mental mistakes ever since Mike Brown selected him for the job. Seems like we read about pre-snap penalties, illegal formations, and wrong routes every season. Since Mike Brown doesn’t believe in accountability, Brat is staying on & I bet he is still here next year after Marvin leaves as will the team “doctors” who helped cause the Bryant debacle.

4. By mwindle1973 on Oct 28, 2010 | Reply

I think I believe that people really can’t but that a roster this good can perform this bad. It’s got to be that Marvin isn’t signing and the team doesn’t know it. Carson is washed up for his career. Etc, etc, etc. Has anyone seen the Cowboys or Viking? How about the Saints throw one to the Brownies last week?

I think Marvin states it best as he iritatingly answers the question about how did we lose to this team or that team each week. He says that he thinks you’ll come to find that this is the NFL and any team can easily win each week. Because that’s simply how competitive it is. It isn’t college where the #1 team is heads above the #10 team. In the NFL the #1 team is barely better than #32 team.

Mike would give him the bank, and I don’t think money is what is most important to Marvin. I think he wants control of more things, mainly personnel and I don’t know if Brown will give it. I can tell you this I’ve been a Bengals fan for 31 years. But if we don’t re-sign Marvin we better be bringing Cowher in here or else I could find myself rooting for Marvin’s team next year. I’ve been a big fan of his since about ’98 and thought they couldn’t have made a better choice in ’03 when we hired him. I think the only mistake we have made is not giving him more control at this point.
    There doesn’t have to be a ratiional explanation for any of this. And sure enough it has to be Brown’s fault now, doesn’t it? Perhaps Marvin is not committed to coming back for sure. Perhaps there is a different team that grabs his eye. Or a big pay day that Mike Brown won’t give him.

But i think he will be back. I just really feel that they didn’t reach an agreement before the season started and that Marvin didn’t want the distraction of negotiating during the season. I think they start negotiating again when the season is over and Marvin gets a big payday to come back to Cincy for 3-5 more years.

5. By naitjungle on Oct 28, 2010 | Reply

I think i believe football is a team sport! I think i believe the bengals are off to yet another loosing season. I think i believe the bengals can’t have back to back winning seasons no matter how hard WE bengal fans cheer.
    I normaly enjoy what you have to say HOBSON really. Your words have helped me get through the summer. How many of us bengal fans believed this was the year?
    The bengals are 2-4 and now is hardly the time to talk up CP’s stats in the last 3 games in which we lost. Or even saying i told ya so. Now is the time to ask why an AFC North team refuses to sign a FB. Last time i checked Ced Benson and our Defense lead us to the playoffs last year Not Chad and Carson.I will always be a bengals fan but HOB please dont try sugar coating a disappointment.

6. By bengalpirate on Oct 29, 2010 | Reply

I think that I believe, that given that the defense is hurting, we should now go with the no-huddle offense and try and put up as many points as possible each game. Go back to an offense that puts up big points like in 2005 and 2006 and hope the defense can make enough stops on 3rd down to provide the winning score. I love it when our defense is capable of playing smashmouth defense, but with our defensive backfield in shambles and we’re not getting any sacks, we need to adapt, improvise and overcome on defense and ride the no-huddle offense for awhile until our defense gets healthy again. The 2009 model of a strong defense and an offense based on the run game won’t work right now and we need to go with Carson using all the weapons he has available and score as many points as possible to win games. Then, if the defense gets healthier and we win a few games, we can go back to the 2009 model of Bengalball as needed in the playoff hunt. Hang in there DEFENSE, GO OFFENSE!!!

7. By overthroensamoan on Oct 29, 2010 | Reply

I think I believe this is Marvins last year in Cincy. I think a power struggle exists and you know who wins that. Marvin wants an indoor facility and more decision making. Not a chance either of those are going to happen. I think this has hurt not only his coaching decisions but also his intensity towards the game. The team is a direct reflection of its coach and so far this team has played like a team with no leadership. The ongoing number of foolish mistakes and mental lapses have taken a heavy toll on this team. If this happens in the first 2 weeks you can blame that on early jitters but 6 games in and the same stupid mistakes continue well now you have a pattern. I want to agree with you on #14 being in the HOF. Just a shame him,the Rattler and the original #85 have been snubbed. What really bothers me about Anderson is that 3 QB’s Young (who was a train wreck before Walsh) Fouts (the only time he ever handed off was to rest his arm) and Kelly (stole entire offense from Cincy)all played in wide open offenses Kenny played many years in the traditional 2 back 1TE and 2 WR sets. No spread offense and the only time you saw no huddle was in the final 2 minutes.

8. By mwindle1973 on Oct 30, 2010 | Reply

I think I know we were just as bad in the penalty Itdepartment last year. And the offense was putting up less points too. The D has not been as strong and we have some problems covering kicks. That’s where guys like Abdul-Hodge, Hebert & Jeanty were real stand outs. But at some point guys have to step up. It is special teams after all.

There seems to be a lot of fans who thought this was “the year”. Why? How often does a team go from a first round playoff loss to Super Bowl champions the next season? Things do happen, but usually a team works it’s way up. A reasonable goal this season should have been to secure a playoff victory and hope for more. Experience counts, especially in the playoffs.

Just like a team can play terrible in one half and great the next. The season is the same way. At any time things could just start rolling. It isn’t like we are falling apart. Things continue to evolve. The Chargers start slow every year, but usuallly are one of the best teams by seasons end. Right now they are the #1 offense and defense in the NFL but are 2-5.

I still say this is a watershed game here this weekend. For both teams. Because Miami is underperforming expectations too. If we lose, then we fall to 2-5 and not many teams start 2-5 and make the playoffs. Win and we are 3-4 and tied for 9th in the AFC at worst. At that point we face 4 of the teams ahead of us, one of them twice. That’s the one good thing about the tough schedule, is we get the chance to give losses to teams in front of us. I still hold out hope that we can do it. But we have some things on defense to work out. But if the offense can put up 24+ pts a game, all the D needs to do is prvent the big plays.