Next five items on list

Posted by hobsonschoice1 on January 5, 2011 – 7:58 pm

Our next five issues facing the Bengals after Tuesday’s re-signing of head coach Marvin Lewis:

1. FIGURE OUT THE COACHING STAFF: Even though the Bengals are the favorite to coach the Jan. 29 Senior Bowl that begins its practices Jan. 23, they don’t have to make changes to the coaching staff by then. With Lewis hinting at changes, he may need time to see some dominos fall in the next few weeks, so lightning probably isn’t going to strike within days on that front. Given that it’s all-star-game-playbook-101 stuff in Mobile, the thinking is you wouldn’t need a full staff to function.

But there has been enough thunder in the form of a low rumble in the Bengals locker room to make you think they are taking a close look at the offense after quarterback Carson Palmer threw a franchise-record 586 passes in 2010.

Certainly running back Cedric Benson has made it clear all season he’s not coming back if that philosophy does. On Monday he declared of the running attack in the last three games, “We found ourselves doing the things that made us successful a year ago. It’s clear obviously that’s the identity of this team and it’s important that this team grows in that fashion. We were able to find some success here and I think we can find a lot more.”

And Benson isn’t the only player talking up the running game like that. The Bengals said they are going to look at everything, from scheme to personnel to coaching, and it starts this week when Lewis meets with his coaches.

It’s a bit ironic that offensive coordinator Bob Bratkowski’s name is drawing public heat. When Bengals head coach Dick LeBeau hired Bratkowski in 2001, he interviewed him at the Senior Bowl when he was working the game as the Steelers receivers coach.

2. TV SCHEDULE CHANGE?:  The Bengals are sending out mixed signals on wide receiver Chad Ochocinco, so are they are going to cancel his decade-long reality TV now and go with the Sesame Street young receivers?

There is a school of thought out there that believes the Bengals already exercised the team option on The Ocho and he’s under contract for ’11. That would mean there would be no timetable for a decision and if anybody is looking to get him they may have to trade for him. Plus, the Bengals are going to make sure all their ducks are healthy, lined up, and ready to go if he’s not coming back. So that may linger awhile.

3. JOHNATHAN JOSEPH DERBY: One starting cornerback, Johnathan Joseph, is a free agent. The third corner, Adam Jones, is coming off a herniated neck disk. (The brace comes off in two weeks.) The fourth corner, Morgan Trent, went to injured reserve with a recurring knee problem.

So what do you want to take with that fourth pick? If you said “Corner,” that might not be a bad way to go. Don’t say “wide receiver.” Not that high. Ten years ago the Bengals had the fourth pick in the draft and needed a wide receiver just as badly. They still went D-end (Justin Smith) and ended up getting their all-time receiver in the second round at No. 36 in The Ocho.

Look at the NFL’s top four receiving yardage leaders this season The champ, Brandon Lloyd, is a fourth-rounder. Runner-up Roddy White went late first round (27th). No. 3 Reggie Wayne also went late first (30th) and cleanup hitter Greg Jennings went in the second round.

The Bengals need one. But not at No. 4.

Corner or another pass rusher. Two spots you can truly never have enough.

4. THE ANDRE  FACTOR: No one knows how Andre Smith’s foot is going to be after its second surgery and no one knows what kind of shape he’ll be in. But they do know that third-year player Anthony Collins played well at right tackle once they got him in the lineup in December at the end of the year. Hey, if you’re a tackle and your club doesn’t allow a sack on 45 passes against Baltimore, you must be pretty good.

Good enough that they may be looking to move Smith to guard, where they have concerns. Bobbie Williams turns 35 early next season, Nate Livings is a gutty and smart but limited mauler who struggled at times, and Evan Mathis is a free agent.

One of the things that came up in the Tuesday news conference is that Lewis and Bengals president Mike Brown want to make a bigger effort to get younger players on the field sooner if they are worthy, a la Jerome Simpson and Bernard Scott. Smith may fit in that category. He better be one of your top five lineman as a top 10 draft pick, and if you’re already getting solid play from your tackles, a 350-pound guard athletic enough to be a tackle would interesting.

5. FISHER-PRICE POCKET SCHEDULE: Get the copyright from linebacker Brandon Johnson and start pumping out some Fisher-Price billboards on the side of 471, 275, 75, 71, not to mention, 96 and 97.  The last two numbers are the numbers of Carlos Dunlap and defensive tackle Geno Atkins. Dunlap led AFC rookies in sacks and Atkins was second among AFC rookie defensive tackles. The “Fisher-Price Package” is Johnson’s name for the young defensive players that include right end Michael Johnson and linebacker Rey Maualuga, heading into their third seasons.

But throw in tight end Jermaine Gresham and slot receiver Jordan Shipley, who tied for the AFC rookie receptions lead, and running back Bernard Scott, heading into his third season, and you could have a nice playground shot of the kids sprawled around the equipment.

Call it something like “No Kidding Around in 2011,” or something like that.

Just a rough sketch. Get your people with my people and let them have at it.

44 Responses to “Next five items on list”

1. By bengalpirate on Jan 5, 2011 | Reply

I look for some minor adjustments with the coaching staff, perhaps even 1 or 2 leaving and getting replaced with better position coaches. It will surprise me if Coach Bratkowski leaves, as installing a new offense, with all the CBA questions and issues that need resolved is suicidal for a team that needs a big comeback next year. With Ochocinco, I think the matter is academic already, where he either gets on the bandwagon in a bid for one last big contract, or we cut him loose when we see whether or not he can contribute in 2011. Totally agree with drafting either the best CB, or DT available with the 4th pick. Especially in a year where the draft is heavily laden with CB’s, DT’s, or even DE’s. Finally, this team is young no matter how you look at it, but there are already many 2nd, 3rd and 4th year players who are seasoned vets now, so let’s blend in a few “old-timer” vets and just point them all in the right direction and turn them loose on the NFL. Who Dey!!!

2. By mistermc76 on Jan 5, 2011 | Reply

Hello,

What do you think the Bengals will do at offensive coordinator, if anything? The reason I ask is:

Sam Wyche calls Marvin Lewis before he signs on Tuesday. Why is that?

Could Sam Wyche be coming to the Bengals as a General manager or offensive coordinator?

If it happens, you heard it from me first.

3. By gizmo63 on Jan 5, 2011 | Reply

Letting the EGO TWINS, Terrel (me me me me me me) Owens and Chad (I’ll run what ever route I want to) Ocho-Stinko, leave will be the best thing tor the 2011 Bengals. They may have had some good games but I believe they caused more problem than they were worth They were the biggest reason for Carson Palmer sub-par season and for the Bengals bad season.

I would rather live mistakes that young inexperience reciever like Simpson and Caldwell may make then put up with tyhe EGO TWINS. At least Simpson and Caldwell played hard and hustled when they were finally given the chance to play. Also Palmer sure had much better games with these two playing then he did with the EGO TWINS.

I see Carson Palmer bouncing back and have a great year in 2011 and for Bengals to win at least 10 game maybe more. With the experience gain from this year and with Palmer’s confidence in them Shipley, Simpson, Caldwell and Greshim will all be better next year.

4. By mikeyred on Jan 6, 2011 | Reply

They have to make some kind of change. Please just let Chad go!!! Enough is enough. He’s in obvious decline and the Bengals can no longer live with the distraction minus the production. I know I’m not saying anything that hasn’t been said before, but damn I’m just tired of him and his worn out act.

5. By kaptkurt on Jan 6, 2011 | Reply

To steal a line from the White Sox “These Kids Can Play!!”. I agree with your blog completely, but i want to add 1 more Item. Both the Steelers and the Ravens go from middle of the pack to shutdown on defense when their All Pro Safeties are on the field healthy. It would be a dream come true if we could land that type of player through the draft or free agency. I’m just not sure if there’s anyone out there that fits the bill.

6. By bonniebengal on Jan 6, 2011 | Reply

Why is Bratkowski not gone yet? We have NO hope if he stays. He cannot make adjustments to the offense and is consistently outcoached by the opposing team’s defense. He does not know how to game plan based on the strengths of his players. He runs the ball up the middle practically every flipping second down. His plays are so predictable that they have become a drinking game. He needs to go or we can forget about winning anything.

7. By 303bengalguy on Jan 6, 2011 | Reply

I will be 100% fine with everything going on around here if they simply get rid of Bratkowski. Nothing against the man, it’s just simply time to make a change there. I’m accepting Lewis and Palmer back, I don’t think those guys are the problem here, although numbers would indicate futility… the numbers say one thing, the insight into them say otherwise though. I love Andre as a guard (a la Robert Gallery) and I really agree with “kaptkurt” above with regard to the Safety play on 2 dominant defenses… you saw both struggle without their stars, Polomolu, and Reed. I think the position is far too underrated in terms of draft slotting of a potential star secondary player – if one is there in the first, I’d love for us to go get him.

8. By looking4sb1 on Jan 6, 2011 | Reply

I think the Bengals aren’t in a do-or-die situation with any position. So, that should give us some leeway in the draft. I agree with the comments above that a dominant safety at the four spot would be ideal. But I don’t see any Eric Berry’s in this years draft. If there are no dominant top-five safeties in the draft, we should pick the best available player at either defensive end, offensive tackle, cornerback or center — in that order. All of those positions would either improve areas that need a boost (S,OL,C) or add depth to the most valuable positions other than QB (DE,CB). A dominant player of at least one of those positions should be available with the fourth pick. And, if a player has a questionable work ethic or attitude, avoid them at all costs (see: Andre Smith). Any risky players should be taken with lower picks. A first-rounder should have no question marks.

9. By 2ndboot on Jan 6, 2011 | Reply

I hope there are some changes in coaching. On offense Bob Bratkowski has been treated worse than Mike Brown in the press and among fans, but that shouldn’t influence thought. What should influence is his track record, but he might not be the culprit here as much as some think. Receivers seem always to be undercoached and a guy who never played QB as your QB coach? That doesn’t make a whole lot of sense to me. My point is that if your position coaches aren’t getting guys ready the coordinator is always going to be limited on how he can call plays and so on. I would like to see them move on from Brat, but position coaches have GOT to go first.

10. By bengalmaniac on Jan 6, 2011 | Reply

Position coaches are one thing, but Bratkowski is culpable for the lack of creativity and the inability to adjust. We go into the 2nd half of every game with the same game plan in place while the defenses have adjusted and we haven’t. Our offensive game plan is boring and stagnant. The play book may not be, but how it is being called is. So maybe the answer is to just let Carson call the plays based on what he sees on the field, just like the Colts do. I am going to trust the guy that would get his head bashed in by calling the wrong play rather than someone playing eenie-meenie-miney-mo in the booth. Look at teams like the Falcons & Raiders, they have done it running the ball but being creative & adjusting.

11. By atn1980 on Jan 6, 2011 | Reply

I don’t know if you remember my comment from before the season but I was one of the guys questioning the offensive line. About how you can’t point out one guy that makes stupid mistakes at the worst time because they all seem do it.

I think my point it still pretty valid after the season. Except now, I think you could say that about every player we had on offense. Which leads me to believe that it is a coaching issue.

So my question to you is… Are the Bengals better off replacing the whole offensive staff? Or should they just cut ties with Coach Brat?

I don’t see any young OL developing. Before the last couple games, I did not see any young WR developing (besides Shipley, who from day 1 looked like a veteran). We all know that there is no young QB developing. And the RB position has B.Scott, but that’s it…

I’m interested in your insights and opinions… even if you do get paid by the Bengals so you can’t be too negative.

12. By sapon1 on Jan 6, 2011 | Reply

Marvin must be a glutton for punishment. I can’t think of any other legit NFL coach that could dance w/ MB. The press conference made both persons and the team and the fans look ridiculous. What ever happened to candor?

Per the 5 Questions… 1) Purge Brat and the entire O staff; 2) Purge Chad & Owens; 3) Pay JJoe; 4) Keep Andre at Tackle and make him earn a starting spot – don’t give him a spot – go out an get a REAL guard to replace Bobbie; 5) Let’s make sure the F-P package is for real before they end up on billboards. I’d rather see Chris Pressley & Ced on billboards riding a road grader.

13. By bengalmaniac on Jan 6, 2011 | Reply

This is a coaching issue. In years past we held defensive coordinators accountable for sub par years, i.e. Leslie Frazier & Chuck Breznahan. it led us to get Zim who finally has them clicking, even with all of the injuries they had. I can understand Marvin wanting to finish what he started, to prove that this is not a complete failure. Two things I took away from the press conference: 1) Marvin got what he wanted because he pretty much said so in his opening statement. he also could not contradict MB in his assertions, due to the Pickens rule. 2) Mike Brown tried to play it off as if this system still works and nothing is wrong. A great leader knows that you must be able to change course to adjust to changing times & situations and also knows when to admit that it is time to do so. It makes you look more respectable and gives you more credibility to be able say I liked what we were doing but it doesn’t work and now we have to move on.

14. By ikilledsuperman on Jan 6, 2011 | Reply

theres no ifs ands or buts about it. the whole offensive staff has to go with the exception of jim anderson. anderson is the only one who has constantly done a great job with his position of rbs. shephard? all of our wrs have regressed ever since hue jackson left. paul alexander? name one offensive linemen that hes made great…hmmmm exactly. i dont mind ken zampese as the qb coach but i think he should probably go and give palmer a new set of eyes watching him. bob bratkoswki has to go. i will not renew my season tickets if hes retained and i know alot of bengals fans who will do the exact same thing. its terrible when a fan at home….can literally call out the plays were going to run before they happen. just imagine what coaches from the other teams can do when they watch hours of film on us and study keys and what not. the whole offensive staff has to go…with the exception of anderson. PERIOD!!

15. By bonniebengal on Jan 6, 2011 | Reply

It’s been four days now since our last game and Bratkowski is still here. After 35 years as a fan, I will be on strike if Bratkowski stays. I am not taking this treatment anymore. This team is lucky they have any fans after that press conference where Mike Brown and Marvin Lewis basically told the fans (who as taxpayers help support this team) that they had no right to know anything. Make a change soon or lose me.

16. By kaptkurt on Jan 6, 2011 | Reply

I love Carson Palmer as a QB. I still remember the Akili Smith and David Klingler years. I LOVE CARSON PALMER. He needs a QB coach to start at square 1 with his mechanics. Second he needs to take a page from Manning and learn to confuse defenses. I was watching NFL channel and heard TJ telling the Ravens def. “when he doesn’t talk to the WR, I guarantee it’s a running play”. And we wonder why play action doesn’t work. That falls on the OC and QB coach.
    Second, Having Ocho for 2.5 mill next year is a steal. his work ethic is off the charts. If we bring in a new OC, he’ll probably be here for off season workouts. The young WR talk about how he’s helped them. Unlike QB, the WR (especially the young guns) seem to be well coached and ready to play.

17. By chiragn on Jan 6, 2011 | Reply

First, I want to be the first to say that chad will be a Patriot next season. Im sure they have several picks as usual and would be willing to part with a 2nd or 3rd for chad. Everyone knows NE’s coach loves chad and would utilize him properly. second, I think it is pretty clear that the biggest needs on this team are at WR, OL, and DL. Taking a corner in the top 5 wouldn’t be a horrible way to go, but would do nothing to improve this team whether j-joe stays or goes. I understand your argument for not taking a receiver in the top 5 but guys like calvin johnson and andre johnson have proven to be worth it, and if last years draft were done over i’m pretty sure dez bryant would go top 10. If AJ Green is that type of big and skilled receiver then adding him sounds like a great way to show CP they are serious about helping him become the elite QB they think he is.

18. By dagohshon on Jan 6, 2011 | Reply

Bratkowski must go. I saw the Bengals run the same ineffective play over and over. When the defense is is playing 8 in the box, Benson up the middle doesn’t work. If Chad wants to run his own routes, he should be able to run them elsewhere. Try to get JJ back. But I disagree about a WR a pick 4 if AJ Green is available. If he’s not, take a DE or DT. Yes, move Andre Smith to LG or RG. Not playing “Fisher-Price” probably cost the Bengals wins. Jerome Simpson didn’t suddenly figure it out in Cleveland. He’s was catching passes in the pre-season.

19. By homerbengal on Jan 6, 2011 | Reply

Not on the same page, work in progress how many times did we hear that this year. I count 6 offensive coaches versus 4 defensive coaches. Maybe we had too many authors on offense or the offensive players received the wrong books. T.O.,Ocho, and J.Joe all must GO. Pay the money to players like Leon Hall who can actually make a tackle by himself. Andre Smith blocked well at Alabama hire the Alabama offensive line coach here. Next years theme could be EVERYBODY ON THE SAME PAGE OR YOUR OUTTA HERE

20. By jamison007 on Jan 6, 2011 | Reply

First of all, great blog Geoff – looking forward to reading your next one. @ bonniebengal – thanks for your post and others to follow. Someone posted that changing O Coach would be suicidal, I don’t think so…in my humble opinion, I always read about how each year has a new “wrinkle” in the office (as Carson will say). And, as many others have posted, any enthusiastic avid fan can see with our own eyes on TV that our plays are being snuffed out on Offense. We have WAY more talent than our creativity took us this year, even me, Mr. Accountant, can tell you that.

I root for Marvin to do what is best, but my leaning is to get a gamer of an Offensive Coach in there with Marvin’s oversight.

21. By jamison007 on Jan 6, 2011 | Reply

In regards to all the Ocho & TO comments. I really have to say that I myself have been impressed how they handled the media this year. I do not know if they were giving it all or not, or if they were in the right mental state or not…only those guys on the field know that. I did see flashes of brilliance from both of them this year and we are all starting to agree that our Offensive Coach simply has been getting outcoached all year (and arguably last year too). So, I want Coach Marvin and the players to determine if those guys should come back or not – because who knows folks, in the right situations, they could still be weapons.

22. By phil1245 on Jan 6, 2011 | Reply

I see a good future for the team. Good young talent and some good role players. Let the team make changes they need. I’ll still be a Bengal win or lose, but want a Super Bowl. Caution Cincinnati: I’ve been a fan since 1968 and lived through it all. we’re lucky to have a team in the NFL and this is it folks. If the Browns decide to leave with it there is no other team coming in. Known that for years. They own the team and I believe they’re in it to win like the others. Winning it some and winning it all in pro sports takes a lot of things to happen right…especially luck with injuries. Yes, let’s change what will help, but change it without a witch hunt. Also, they need to change the offense they’ve run for 8-10 years. It’s stale and I can figure it out. GO BENGALS!

23. By bonniebengal on Jan 7, 2011 | Reply

Willie Anderson is tweeting that there will be no changes to the coaching staff except Linebackers coach. If this is true, I am on strike. This better not be true.

24. By mwindle1973 on Jan 7, 2011 | Reply

Agree with most of what you say Hobs. But have to go the other direction on the Collins issue. Yes he can pass block. Well enough to play LT at times. 45 passes on Baltimore without a sack is proof. But he can’t run block. And the numbers show that too. But we’ve known he can’t run block for 2 seasons now. He’s a LT not a RT. And when you view him as such then he’s only an average pass blocker. Here’s the answer to me. Go back to Oline in the draft. Maybe not at #4 but in the first couple rounds.
    On another note…Brat’s job is in danger, I’ll agree. But this is the guy who according to past reports, drafted and melded Hines Ward with the Steelers. He comes here and melds Ocho & TJ. Now Simpson and Caldwell may be the next guys on his list. He has some things to point to when defending himself to management. I think it’s possible he stays and we have a change of scheme. And maybe the play calling will be assigned to someone else. Perhaps Mike Sheppard? Or perhaps he may be the next OC?

25. By 303bengalguy on Jan 7, 2011 | Reply

Benson, Bonnie and myself…. oh wait, and 99.9% of the fan base (leaving the delusional 0.01% including some of the apologist posters here that fall for that “add a new wrinkle” crap year in and year out and think things are going to get better).

Simply put, I will be FURIOUS if Bratkowski is allowed to stay on staff here! How in the world can we fire guys like Frazier after an extremely short leash yet keep guys like Bratkowski, who’s toiled in futility longer than Lewis has been here, yet if you let him go today, couldn’t probably land a gig above the college FBS level in an attempt to salvage his career? It’s absolutely mind boggling! Frazier just got a HC job yet we keep a guy who should be coaching high school.

The clock has been ticking since Sunday and other teams have already made coordinator moves… what’s the hold up here? I will become the biggest negative nancy ever if Bratkowski and his atrocious track record are allowed to return. We’ve done 2 out of 3 things right thus far in my opinion (bring back Lewis and reaffirm Carson is the man behind center) but that last one is enough to break this camels back… #3 is that the OC must be changed… please for the love of Lombardi!

26. By 303bengalguy on Jan 7, 2011 | Reply

@mwindle:
    No disrespect but that may be one of the worst cases I’ve ever heard for someone to think they did a good job over 10 years. If I took that in front of my boss hoping to salvage my job, I’d be pulling up to work with a U-Haul behind my car…. He hasn’t “melded” a thing honestly. And on another note, if I hear about 2005 one more time I might puke. It is now 2011… and the clock is ticking in everyone’s lives.

27. By jpatct on Jan 7, 2011 | Reply

I think letting TO and Chad go is the right thing to do, but I think they need to re-sign JJoe and Cedric. I think the biggest coaching change needs to be the O-line coach, thats where the biggest problem lies. Move Whitworth to right tackle, Andre Smith to guard, and look for a left tackle in free agency or the draft. I wouldn’t mind seeing AJ Green in Stripes either!

28. By gizmo63 on Jan 7, 2011 | Reply

Chad as a Patriot. I would love to see Tom Brady’s and Bill Belichick’s reactions on the first pass play when Chad runs his on route. Brady and Bilichicks will not tolerate Chads freelancing. Chad drove Carson crazy with his route running. I don’t think Brady and Belichicks really want Chad. There are better recievers available.

29. By jeff1964 on Jan 7, 2011 | Reply

Okay the draft is coming upon us. In the First Round, any of these players should bring a smile in the Bengal Dome. Any of these picks should help us get where we want to be. Offensive Line – Rodney Hudson, Nate Solder, Joseph Barksdale or De Marcue Love. If we believe one of these linemen will still hanging in the second round, then I would still be smiling if we chose either DT Nick Fairly or Corner Patrick Peterson.
    I blame the David Klinger and Akli Smith years on our offensive line inepts, although we are not that bad off. Let’s face it we don’t have the offensive line power we did back in the Boomer days or when Palmer was putting up his best play. I hope to see JJ re-upped and in stripes next year. As far as the Ocho, well I have been saying it since we did it and before TJ left, that we had re-upped the wrong diva.
    Cedric Benson 3.7 YPA is not worth numbers worth Elite $, so let’s keep his re-up money realistic if he is chosen. I do say re-up, RB Brian Leonard, DL Jon Fanene and WLB Brandon Johnson, along with JJ.

30. By jeff1964 on Jan 7, 2011 | Reply

Great Point! We need to get a QB who can develop into a steady back-up this year. I have not seen the numbers for kid brother to warrant hanging around for another year.

31. By chiragn on Jan 7, 2011 | Reply

The number 1 problem with this team is that they do not have the resources that every other team in the league has. I know people talk a lot about the lack of an indoor practice facility, but the biggest issue is game planning. With no advanced scouts, they rely solely on brat and the offensive staff to prepare week in and week out. Obviously, they aren’t doing a good job because opposing teams know what plays they are running, T.O said this outright and CP and chad have hinted at it on numerous occasions. For all the shortcomings this team has in resources, hiring a creative playcaller will mask those issues and revive our QB. This team is in such a mess that it makes me sick as an NFL fan. I strongly believe that this team is not in touch with the rest of the nfl and does not have a clear picture of what it takes to win.

32. By naitjungle on Jan 8, 2011 | Reply

The bengals really owe it to carson and the city of cincinnati to move on and hire a new Offensive cordinator. Who’s call was it to 1. Not have a FB on the active roster most of the season 2. sit jerome simpson most of the season 3. keep roland at RT most of the season 4. not play coffman most of the season 5. give ced less then 25 carries per game”25 plus carries per game has equaled bengal victory.”? If the answer to most of those questions is brat then he truely needs to do us a favor and work for the steelers.

33. By naitjungle on Jan 8, 2011 | Reply

Do you think it would be wise to trade down in the first round? Do to the fact that we could use a few extra picks and we’ve had hold outs in the past with our higher draft picks. I’m thinking the pats wont need all 9 picks they have in the first 4 rounds.

34. By mwindle1973 on Jan 8, 2011 | Reply

I think too many people assume too many things, without having any facts or real info to base them on. I think mostly the organazation relishes continuity. BUt it doens’t have a continuity in philosophy from top to bottom team wide. I think that more than anything is what Lewis wants to change.

On another note….Chad is still going on about being “thrown under the bus”. How will they co-exist? It would be smarter to trade him this time for sure. Or we are about to see the I want out of CIncy act that Chad has done in the past. I’m a big Chad fan (still wear my Johnson jersey). But I’m a bigger Lewis fan. And we should have dealt Chad for 2 #1 picks 3 years ago. He will have a renewed committment to football making him a better player. And his unharmonious attitude departing will be best for CIncy. It’s time to let this be coach Lewis’ team. And most of all like Whit said. It’s time this become the players team too. And they take ownership of their roles on the team.

35. By psychosully on Jan 9, 2011 | Reply

Brat may be a good coach but he has not produced a super bowl in cincinnati and with talent they have had over the last 9 years on offense. it is time to move on. i am glad to see Marvin come back and hopefully with the control he needs to succeed. if he does not produce well then it is time to move on with him also. Resgning lewis with the CBA in quesiton was smart move by Brown. We have the talent to be a playoff team and we proved that with the last 3 games of the season. Lets not froget that 11 of our 22 defense players were hurt on one point in the season. It is hard to compete with those types of numbers lost on defense. I would love to see Mike Zimmer as head coach of the Bengals if Marvin Lewis does not work out. Marvin’s knock over the years has been discipline.. and know that Zimmer will gives us the discipline this team needs. i have not given up on Marvin Lewis yet…Just get the damn Job done in 11. Us the fans who pay the bill deserve it. Mike Brown hire a GM and give Marvin what he wants, and we will succeed

36. By kingbengal on Jan 9, 2011 | Reply

The Bengals will be fine IF they FIRE the O coordinator,and let Chad and T.O walk and if they keep any of the two please let it be T.O beacause of his work ethic, period. Yes he is a bit of a diva, but he can teach our new, young, solid wide-outs the good work ethic of staying in shape year around. Release Antwon Odom and give Johnson and Dunlap contract extensions. Try to get Kieth Richard’s contract re-structured for his poor performance 50% of the time. In doing this, you will begin a new era in Bengals football. Pay Fenene and Peko and draft a bigger version of Dunlap in the first round. Second round draft a saftey, because we pick early in the second. In the third round, draft a big, athletic wide out that works good in space. Fourth round on, Mike and Marvin should go defense for depth and the Bengals will be fine. Please, to make all of this solid; re-sign Ced Benson.

37. By kingbengal on Jan 9, 2011 | Reply

And I almost forgot, PLEASE resign Joseph, and Release Andre Smith. In the fourth round, draft an O-Lineman then go D-fence for remainder of the draft. Because I firmly believe that anyone dedicated to winning DOES NOT get that far out of SHAPE! That would send a message to rest of the O AND D- Lineman on the team. The Bengals need to quit drafting people who play football for the pay check first, they need to darft people who play for the love of the game first, and the pay check second. What other excuse does a first round pick have for coming into camp 60lbs overweight? Obviously, he dosen’t love the game, he loves McDonald’s!

38. By bonniebengal on Jan 11, 2011 | Reply

Brat’s still here. Still no “changes” as promised. NO hope for this team.

39. By thecincinnatikid45140 on Jan 12, 2011 | Reply

I wanted to let all of you know that its been great being a part of the Bengals nation. But as of now I will not be renewing my season tickets as long as Brat is the OC. I was hesitate hopeful when Marvin resigned because I know he wants some of the same changes we as fans do. But as of now I see no changes only the same and it hasnt been good for me as a fan to watch. Brown and Lewis said at their press conference that they need to win to fill the seats. Well when Brown starts winning then I will think about going to a game and consider season tickets again. If he says he is almost there then he can prove it to me first. Until then they can black out the games until they prove they actually can have atleast an 8 and 8 season. Nothing has changed in 20 years and Brown made it very clear he is almost there doing the exact same thing…

40. By jeff1964 on Jan 13, 2011 | Reply

I understand why everyone wants to throw Brat under the bus — as my 8-year old was telling when and where the Bengals were going to run it. I understand why people are finally realizing Chad needs to go — if for no other reason so we do not have to listen to him. I understand why many are saying keep TO — as he made me smile with his blocking and effort down the field. I understand why many doubt the Bengals will keep TO — see Chad’s comments. The one I do not understand is why everyone is screaming to keep CB — his numbers do not warrant a huge contract. If his YPC were 4 + then I could be on this band wagon – but they are not! I say draft OL, Corner, DL or WR. Preferably one of the stud OL in the 1st round. For the most part or at least the games I watched this year our defense may not have been spectacular but they were good enough to where our Offense should have been able to win the game. Offense – before I can place blame completely on Palmer – I need to see our OL provide better protection. Everything starts with our OL! One last wish I’d like to see us move into next season with full back on our roster.

41. By jeff1964 on Jan 13, 2011 | Reply

The Andre Factor – Until he is able to make it thru an entire season at this point. I do not believe we should be penciling him in anywhere on the OL. I see a huge upside in his potential as in one of his games he was holding the D at bay and his replacement came in and immediately gave up sacks. This is a demonstration of what he can do – but the issue is he hasn’t stayed on the field.

42. By jamison007 on Jan 13, 2011 | Reply

In regards to Cedric Benson, after I saw his interview after the Cleveland win, hands down thats the kind of guy I want on our team! This is the kind of passion and spirit we need out of Andre big time. He had just finally gotten into shape and was playing great in the first game against Pitt, in fact he was getting cred for holding his own in a pass play block…then the next play he gets hurt. Why? He didn’t prepare in the offseason. Mr. Brown – please do the wise thing, let Coach Lewis upgrade at Offensive Coordinator. You just spent several years finally putting together a solid defense and then we had to watch the offense sputter all year…and I have to say it wasn’t cuz there wasn’t talent in the offseason…Mr. Brown, our offensive scheme ability last year was ridiculous – we have a pure MANCHILD out there in Gresham and we couldn’t design some plays to take advantage of a virtually guaranteed mis-match every play of every game? Coach Brat hasn’t shown any coaching savvy at all…The fans are speaking loud and clear on this one – the bottom line is this is a business decision you do not want to be on the wrong side of Mr. Brown.

43. By jamison007 on Jan 15, 2011 | Reply

Given that it is Divisional Playoff Weekend, I couldn’t help but to peruse our blogs again. I definitely meant no disrespect to Mr. Brown by calling on him to let go of any pressure he is giving Coach Lewis to either keep or let go of Coach Brat. Simply put, its in his and the fans best interest to be sure Coach Lewis can take full responsibility for the house that is built next year. Because quite simply put, I and many other fans want to see if Coach Lewis can produce. I myself, want to see him shine in ’11. So, its wisest to give him full control,so there is no debate who is responsible for results. Being a businessman, I am sure he can agree, that allows for a better evaluation of Coach Lewis by the City of Cincinnati and Mr. Brown at the end of the ’11 season. Capiche?

44. By gizmo63 on Jan 18, 2011 | Reply

Chad Ocho-Stinco must go.