New Cincy Chilly?

Posted by hobsonschoice1 on January 21, 2011 – 8:12 pm

It’s unclear if Marvin Lewis has or plans to offer Brad Childress the Bengals offensive coordinator job, but he figures to be pursued by another team in the AFC North.

Would the Browns, coached by a familiar face in Pat Shurmur, be a more comfortable fit for Childress in Cleveland even though Shurmur would be calling the plays? Childress, no doubt, would be calling the plays here, something he’s only done one year in his 12 NFL seasons. While the terrain looks to be uncertain in Cincinnati after a brutal season, Shurmur is working on multiple years and a fresh start in Cleveland. He worked (and worked out) with Childress for seven seasons in the Philadelphia offense.

But wouldn’t Childress, a guy that has run the quarterback gamut from Donovan McNabb and Brett Favre to Gus Frerotte and Tarvaris Jackson, prefer to coach Carson Palmer rather than Colt McCoy?

Maybe.

But Lewis is facing a dilemma, too.  How much of the offense does he want to blow up with the possibility of a curtailed preseason looming with the lockout?

It certainly doesn’t seem to bother some teams. Houston and St. Louis, clubs that barely missed the playoffs, are starting over on defense and offense, respectively. Seattle, which even won a playoff game, hired a new offensive coordinator. The Browns not only have a new head coach, but are expected to change from a 3-4 to a 4-3 with the hire of Dick Jauron as defensive coordinator.

But one reason to keep things fairly similar in Cincinnati is the youth of the receivers: Jordan Shipley, Jerome Simpson and tight end Jermaine Gresham. And it appears that Simpson is just getting settled with the system, so how far do the Bengals step back if there’s a big change?

Yet it almost sounds like Lewis is talking more about approach than actual scheme. In his Thursday interview, it sounded like he doesn’t want 100 plays when 20 done the correct way will do.

Tough call for Lewis. But it sure sounds like he wants to make a change, doesn’t it?

The cons against Childress are his one year of playcalling and that Favre allegedly didn’t respect his football knowledge.

The pros are that he’s gotten a lot out of a lot of different quarterbacks and has a great pedigree in Andy Reid. I mean, the man went 10-6 in 2008 and the Vikes finished 12th in the NFL in scoring with Gus Frerotte making 11 starts and Jackson five.

And, he stood up to Randy Moss, which has to appeal to an offense looking to rid itself of diva receivers. Childress cut Moss last season after he cursed out the caterers feeding the Vikes a Friday lunch. That’s a point that Lewis won’t miss because during the season he rotates a couple of local caterers after Friday’s short morning practice, and is always mindful of how his players treat visitors.

34 Responses to “New Cincy Chilly?”

1. By blester01 on Jan 21, 2011 | Reply

At first glance this is a good move. I think the offense would improve in a west coast style so that part intrigues me. But the more I read about Chilly, I am not on board with this move. He only called plays for technically one year: 2006 in Minnesota. Their offense was nothing to brag about. Minnesota fans have been making the same comments about Chilly that we make about Brat: run, run, pass play calling and not very creative. We have had 10 years of mediocrity in the box, we don’t need a clone.

2. By jamison007 on Jan 21, 2011 | Reply

The points raised do offer apparently legitimate questions about how hard or possible it is to change Offensive Coordinator. One thing for sure that I like to hear is that Coach Lewis is taking the reigns of the entire direction of the team. I am also encouraged to hear Coach Lewis say that Palmer needs some more room. I think a smaller set of smart, standard routes should also help Palmer be able to make some quicker audibles and call his own plays more often. This also allows players to run more subtle variances to the same standard routes. I am glad to hear Coach Lewis pumped, because everything is possible if the top down culture is completely sold out to win.

3. By golflegal on Jan 22, 2011 | Reply

So if we keep everything in place on offense aren’t we going to have to blow up the offense and start over anyway??? Benson already implied that without changes he will be gone (the most important asset on offense, more than any coach, more than any player with Palmer moderately behind in 2nd). OchoCinco and T.O. are likely gone right? Hobs, could you suggest a scenario where we wouldn’t have to blow up the offense? It seems that it’s going to happen regardless, right? We’d have to build around whoever the new RB is. It’s not like the offense was built around Simpson, Caldwell, Shipley, and Gresham either. I’m not sure what the exact number is, but between all 4 there’s probably about 10 starts combined amongst them.

4. By bigedge on Jan 22, 2011 | Reply

I wouldn’t be opposed to bringing in Childress as OC. The only caution I would offer is the fact that we MAY, and I stress the word “MAY”, have a shorter preseason. If that happens, there would be a bumpy road ahead for learning a new system to some degree obviously. If Marvin stresses to the new OC (assuming we replace Brat) to keep things simple, and “here is a list of things we have been doing that works effectively, and I’d like to keep these stratagies in place – beyond that the rest is up to you, just start out relatively simple this year….”, then I would be completely agreeabale to this scenario. One thing above all else I would like to see regardless who the OC is – the guy NEEDS to be on the sidelines rather than in a booth. A coach on the sidelines waiting for players to come off the field to interact directly with individuals personally – one on one, face to face. This is irreplaceable on any level.

5. By mwindle1973 on Jan 22, 2011 | Reply

I think the play calling thing is over rated. Take Zimmer for instance. He’s a great play caller, but he is not very creative or imaginative. He could be. But at this time he keeps things simple and straight forward . Teams are not often fooled anyway, they know what they are seeing. Either the offense executes the play in the right way or it doesn’t. Either the D reactes in the best way or it doesn’t. How that battle turns out often controls how the plays turn out. Play calling has a roll but isn’t the end all to be all. Besides Brat is a great play caller. He has often been limited in what he can call, because of bad execution on offense. That said I think Lewis deosn’t like the way Brat coaches the players. Or the complicated scheme he operates. And perhaps he doesn’t like his philosophy. THey seem to differ on the identity issue. Lewis wanting one and Brat not wanting one at all.

6. By hudey714 on Jan 22, 2011 | Reply

I’m not sure that Chilly would be an improvement. From what I seen from our offense to close the season, we need crativity along with simplicity. These young guys at reciever played well because they wanted to play not entertain, With Benson and Scott in the backfield, Gresham at TE, and Palmer driving ,give these (and other) young recievers some creative play calling and oppoents should be scratching their heads trying to stop them.

7. By mwindle1973 on Jan 23, 2011 | Reply

Just a little food for thought. How do we know Brat is already signed for 2011? I was reading some articles on the Childress-Bengals issue and kept reading we would have to fire Brat first. But do we? Do we know he is under contract already? Everyone assumed Chad wasn’t and he was. What if everyone is assuming Brat is and he isn’t. All we know for sure is that we don’t have everyone under contract for 2011 on the coaching staff. Hobs, do we know anything for sure here about the status of Brat’s contract at this time?

8. By mwindle1973 on Jan 23, 2011 | Reply

As well argued as my point about Brat maybe not being under contract was. It was not very well thought out. I’ll answer my own question: We know he is under contract because he is not looking for a job. Unless he is just not getting any interviews. But he would. At least as a WRs coach. But I wonder who is not under contract? We have that blog/rant from Big Willie about there being no changes to the coaching status but at LBs coach. But that makes no sense at all. Fitzy before coming here was looked at as a possible DC. And the LB corps has improved a lot during his tenure. But they may not be satisfied with what he’s getting with the talent. And again do you think Fitzty wouldn’t already have a job somewhere if he didn’t have one here. That makes my theory become that’s it’s the QC guy or someone in a nominal role. Someone who wouldn’t make press if fired or hired/interviewed somewhere else.

9. By 2ndboot on Jan 23, 2011 | Reply

I have to hope that this is just friends discussing things and little more and it wouldn’t be the first time speculation runs rampant.although I do like the idea of moving Brat to receivers coach because Mike Shepard doesn’t seem to have put much together in his time in Cincy..I’m not wild about Chilly.. I have a ominous feeling it would spell the end of Lewis and maybe the beginning of a long tenure of Chilly and many lost seasons under him.
    I’m much more in favor of Lewis pursuing someone with a solid and proven play calling record and NOT someone who has had a steamy relationship in the past with other divas and little of anything has been mentioned of Chilly’s record against the AFCN..then again I’m not in the mood to look it all up.. I have other fish to fry for the time being.

10. By thecincinnatikid45140 on Jan 23, 2011 | Reply

I dunno, I just received my renewal paperwork and I haven’t seen any changes yet that has peeked my interest to keep them. Nothing has changed except that Marvin has said he was going to change things. I wont comment on if I like Chilly or not as I don’t think he will make it here. I think Brown and Lewis are just giving the public what they want to hear by acting like Brat might be gone. They have no real intentions of moving him out. They will ultimately in the end use the CBA as a scapegoat and keep him here. Further stating that they don’t want to break up the continuity of the offense with the CBA in question. My answer back to them is what continuity did we have last year going 4-12 on offense anyways. We had more yellow flags on the field on offense than the Steeler fans had in the stands waving their terrible towels.

11. By bonniebengal on Jan 23, 2011 | Reply

This is dragging on too long. The Bengals need to quit jerking their fans around. Enough is enough. I know too many people who are waiting to hear if Brat is staying before they renew their season tickets. If Bratkowski stays, they are not renewing. A lot of other people are saying that if Bratkowski stays, then they are done with the Bengals. I personally am going on strike if he stays. So make up your mind Mike Brown.

12. By thecincinnatikid45140 on Jan 23, 2011 | Reply

I just seen on the NFL show that Carson Palmer wants to be traded or he will retire. Even he knows that things aren’t going to change and he wants out. I have 30 days to make up my mind about season tickets and it could get real interesting either way. One thing is for sure if I cancel my tickets I’ll never get them again. I am not going to keep paying a bunch of COA’s each time. I am totally sad for Cincinnati having to represent the Bengals. The city can’t even balance their budget and Brown wants a new screen. I think he should see that and say, let’s look into a new screen at a later time. I am not complaining or trying to dictate to anyone but this is how I see things as a fan currently.

13. By sapon1 on Jan 23, 2011 | Reply

The fact Carson wants out tells me everything I need to know about the peace treaty between MB and Marvin. Bringing in Childress will add a 3rd party to the power struggle that only MB will win. Bottom line the organization is still dysfunctional. I sincerely wish CP success in his endeavor. As for Chad, his revisionist history further illustrates his depth of self deception. Hope he ends up w/ Hue and Raiders.

14. By jamison007 on Jan 23, 2011 | Reply

I really hope this isn’t true about Carson. He has done nothing but work hard his entire career here at Cincinnati and he deserves all of us fans support.

15. By bonniebengal on Jan 23, 2011 | Reply

Hey, I just saw that Carson wants to be traded. This team is imploding and I blame management. You can be sure if Carson leaves and Brat stays, I’m done with the Bengals after 35 years. I’ll be a fan of Carson’s new team.

16. By jamison007 on Jan 23, 2011 | Reply

Cmon Cincy – are you kidding me? Trash on Palmers lawn? Its time the fans get on the blogs and express your support for Carson. He was, is and will continue to be a great quarterback. We need him!

17. By mwindle1973 on Jan 23, 2011 | Reply

So Palmer wants out or he’s will (key word coming up here) contemplate retirement. In other words it’s just a power play. And it might work if we could get any trade value for him. But unfortunately he has very little right now, because of his enormous salary. See this is why I said signing Lewis was most important. He’s the only one who wants to see this one through and make us a winner. Obviously the QB has given up now too. I really thought he would come back and see this thing through. But then again what other fans in the NFL would dump garbage in their QBs lawn. Fans like that deserve 4-12 seasons. This ones going to get ugly. Because to Brown the futility of fighting Palmer will not matter. He will not trade him. What can we get for him anyway with his salary. A 4th or 5th round pick at best. Or a young prospective back up QB that will never start in the NFL.

18. By mwindle1973 on Jan 24, 2011 | Reply

According to bengals insider, a website of leaks, that are claimed to come from 2 secret sources inside the organization, this story has been misconstrued. It claims that Palmer will make a statement this week to clarify the situation. Is also says that while he has asked to be traded if certain things don’t change (Brat being the key thing). That he has made no ultimatum or retirement threats. He has simply presented a list of teams he would like to be traded too and expressed how angry he is over the fact that Brat was retained. Also has expressed his wife would like him to retire. Which ESPN made into a trade or else story.
    Make of it what you will, but this site has been dead on through the last few weeks. And I truly believe they have reliable inside sources.

19. By bengalpirate on Jan 24, 2011 | Reply

New Offensive Cordinator? How about a new QB? Wow, this is a severe disturbance in the Bengals FORCE!!! Carson Palmer has kinda been the calming force in Bengaldom for the last 7 years and if the reports of him wanting a trade, or he retires, are true, then we’re toast. If Carson is so fed up that he is abandoning ship, that speaks volumes for rest of the team. Perhaps he is playing the trade card, to either get the Brown family to finally step up big and make the needed upgrades, but at this point I’m worried that no matter what Mike Brown says or does to placate Carson, it’s still not going to matter.

20. By whothey2010 on Jan 24, 2011 | Reply

what a mess, honestly Brat has to be gone, guess we will find out after the senior bowl, its time for Brat to retire, maybe he and carson can go along with jordan, the three stooges! It is very frustrating, we all knew that Brat was a huge part of the problem, Palmer had a terrible year, but what veteran qb has the talent and ability to take back the North next year? would Hasselbeck be a good fit for us? Mcnabb? doubt we could afford Vick

21. By killertruc on Jan 24, 2011 | Reply

With rumors of Palmer wanting out, Childress coming to town might be an indication the rumors are fact given his experience with quarterbacks. What better way to try to get something out of J. Palmer than a guy who has a ton of qback coaching experience.

22. By kschoenfel01 on Jan 24, 2011 | Reply

CP has been nothing but great for the franchise and MB has done nothing to re-pay him except for cash. Let CP go to another team so he may have a chance for success and allow Cincy to try someone new possibly Kevin Kolb. I am so sick of MB, especially when CP threatens to retire if he is not traded and MB refuses to trade him. It’s ridiculous! If the guy is going to retire then at least trade for someone to replace him. I hate baseball, but I am becoming more a Reds fan each and every day because at least they turned themselves around and are trying to win. MB you have ruined this team and part of the NFL (and I’m sure you really care)!

23. By bengalfanincharlotte on Jan 24, 2011 | Reply

jamison007, thanks for calling out the pathetic “fans.” I’ve lived in North Carolina my entire life, but I’ve been a Bengals fan since I was 8, taking all kinds of crap from my friends who were bandwagon 49ers and Cowboy fans. I’ve been to the last two games Cincy played in Charlotte and up to Cincy twice to see the Bengals. I’m ashamed to be a fan sometimes simply because of the way other “fans” behave. Booing CP’s 20,000th completion and throwing trash on his lawn is pathetic! Anderson was treated poorly, Esiason was treated poorly, and now Carson is getting the same. If a team can waste as much talent as this team has over the years, the one big problem must not be the QB; it must be somewhere else. Criticize the organization and superstar TV personalities, but respect and support the one’s who do their jobs.
    Carson, not everyone who wears black and orange is an ungrateful jerk. Thanks for all you’ve done. I hope you’ll hang in there a little longer.

24. By mwindle1973 on Jan 25, 2011 | Reply

I personally don’t see Carson leaving 50M on the table to not play football though. And even though he’s demanding the trade, he has very little teeth to back his threat up with. Brown won’t trade him and his only option is to play or sit out a season at 31 years old. I’m not even sure what we could get in a trade. He’s damaged his stock some. To boot we can’t do a trade until after the draft. That said, can this all work out? Can we really expect Carson to come in here and play football to the best of his ability and bring us wins? I say not. All we have to do is look at the Ocho situation. He stayed, he kept playing, but he’s never been the same. But Carson is not Ocho, but if your not giving your all in the NFL….. This is definitely the darkest off season I remember. It harkens back to 91-92 offseason. But you really didn’t see how bad it was then until it unfolded that season. THis one feels like a runaway train headed for a cliffdive out of the gate.

25. By jamison007 on Jan 25, 2011 | Reply

@bengalfanincharlotte – man, I cannot believe to hear this about our fans. I was born in Ohio and my dad has brought me up a Bengal fan all my life. I never got to live in Cincy and be a fan. Do our fans know how truly awesome it would be for fans like me to be in Cincy, able to hear and see much more of my favorite team!!?? And all some fans can do is mess it up for everyone else. I thought Cincy would be a great place for players to play and that people being true football fans would know how to treat our players.

Now, on the other hand, we got a bunch of fans that are throwing their hands in the air and giving up on the team again. Hold on folks, Carson is probably most likely giving it one more shot to get MB and MLs full attention – to correct some serious issues, namely our Offensive Coordinator. So step up fans, this is our time to BUCK UP and do our team proud. Yes, we do have a stake in this team, so lets stop being whiney babies and support our boy Palmer!

26. By mwindle1973 on Jan 25, 2011 | Reply

I don’t want to assume anything in the current climate. But can we assume that Brown is drawing a line on the Brat issue as well? This makes no sense. You have your head coach, franchise QB, and un-signed bell cow RB demanding a change in OCs. Yet Brown is actually getting more emboldened. Recent inside reports have him termed as being very “agitated” and “hostile” in the last week.

Where does this leave the Lewis situation? We’ve heard nothing from him since Brown’s statement yesterday. Brown made a good-faith promise to compromise work out Marvin’s issues. This already seems to be a breach of that agreement doesn’t it. I just hope the next news out isn’t that the Lewis is retiring a few weeks after signing a 2 year extension. Other franchises don’t do this. When there is this much drama they have the respect to let fans know what it centers around.

27. By mwindle1973 on Jan 25, 2011 | Reply

Interesting. Boomer Esiason and a few others think that we could get very high value picks for Carson to the right team. Boomer suggested we could possibly get 2 first rounders & a late rounder. Or a first round pick, and 2 later rounders, plus a low level vet. He implored Mike Brown to do his due diligence and at least explore what he can gain from a trade. Very interesting huh? If we could get a first round pick, plus 2 more picks and possibly a player. Then why not. Carson is our guy that’s for sure. But without his salary and 2 first round picks, we can sign a vet or draft a QB. And still have a first rounder, plus extra late round picks and possibly a vet. It just seems this would be too good to pass up if true. But then again you have to find that franchise guy again. But if your guy doesn’t want to play for you anymore then why fight it if you can benefit from it.

28. By mwindle1973 on Jan 25, 2011 | Reply

Now Chad wants to fight Lewis. Seriously. Seen it on ESPN. He’s willing to play his heart out for the Bengals and coach Lewis, and whomever the QB is this coming season. But he wants Lewis in a cage fight this offseason in the meantime!

29. By mwindle1973 on Jan 25, 2011 | Reply

Also it’s not Ochocinco it’s Johnson again. My best guess on that one is he is that sure he wil be playing for another team. Perhaps the Pats, who already have an 85 in rookie TE Aaron Hernandez?

30. By jamison007 on Jan 26, 2011 | Reply

C’mon Mike Brown…think about it – its time to realize that the wise business decision is in this case aligned with the best strategic decision for the team becoming a dominant winning team with multiple years of home field playoff crowds. Your franchise QB, bellcow RB and 09 Coach of The Year seem to all have something in their, as you say, “craw”. Your entire fan base is threatening to not re-up on their season tickets for what is starting to seem apparent – we all want a new Offensive Coordinator. I can totally understand that Brat is your friend, but this is a year in which your bottom line is in jeapordy if you don’t allow Marvin to move quickly on an OC. Here is the deal – if you try to fight all 3 of them, parts of the soul of our team will be gone and then next year is undoubtedly another year of “building”. Give in this year, if only this year only, and tell them “ok, you get your wish – we will evaluate how well y’all do at the end of the season”. Easy as that! You will bring back the fans, have the team’s respect and they will feel like they have “ownership” in the season and the results of the ’11 season. Please Mr. Brown, take my advice!

31. By mwindle1973 on Jan 27, 2011 | Reply

Anybody else find it odd that Chad is going back to Johnson? I mean what will become of the cereal? There is a reason for this for sure. See Chad can never keep his mouth shut. I’m basically sold on this news alone that he will not be here next season. He already has advance knowledge of a coming trade or something. In his statement he says “I’m going back to Johnson,” and adds that “I have no choice really, I’ve taken this Ocho thing as far as it can go.” But what about the cereal? I say the key words are I have no choice. I’d had loved to hear a simple follow up question of why? But real journalism is dead anyways isn’t it?

32. By jeff1964 on Jan 27, 2011 | Reply

As much as I believe CP is our answer if we want to win immediately. I do believe if someone is willing to give up two first round picks + a second, this would be to much to pass up. As we would be in position to get one immediate beast and another franchise quarterback this year and follow it up again next year. This would have the possiblity to match the Hershal Walker trade between Minnesota and Dallas a few years back.

33. By mwindle1973 on Jan 27, 2011 | Reply

Nothing shows how out of touch Mike Brown is more than this quote in regards to Palmer. “We’ll reach out to him and see what’s in his craw.” Craw? Is that an expression that’s been used since the 50’s? The biggest screwed up thing in this whole mess is the fact that we are possibly looking at a 1st round QB pick. This year is so deep in Oline and Dline talent, and we might have to “waste” a pick on a what looks to me like a bigtime down year in QB talent. Next year is a much better year to pick a QB. Is there a QB in the draft that is fit to start out of the gate? I just hate to see us pick a QB out of need that won’t start in the NFL.

34. By mwindle1973 on Jan 29, 2011 | Reply

In a recent article on this website you started a story off by saying Lewis was “still canvassing for offensive coaches”. But said nothing more. What is this based on? A lot of people go down there. It certainly would be a place where you could put out feelers, etc.