No trade winds

Posted by hobsonschoice1 on April 6, 2011 – 2:20 pm

Palmer

Carson Palmer to the Dolphins?

Armando Salguero of the Miami Herald has had the Dolphins wired longer since, it seems, Watergate, so when he reports the Dolphins are interested in trading for Bengals quarterback Carson Palmer, they are.

But if they think it’s going to take Dan Marino’s suggested third-round pick, they should take a drug test. Mike Brown giving up Palmer for only a third-rounder? Never happen. Brown giving up Palmer period? Maybe less than never.

Although Salguero suggests that the Bengals president is softening on his no-trade stance and others are theorizing the Bengals will trade Palmer if they get a quarterback in the first or second round, not so fast Bob Griese-breath.

Three weeks ago at the NFL meetings, Brown insisted he’s not trading Palmer.  Nothing has happened since then to indicate anything has changed. This isn’t an owner who checks in on his team every once in awhile. This isn’t a GM saying it. Or even an unnamed Bengals official.

It was the day-to-day CEO of the club saying it three weeks ago in a New Orleans hotel room and putting his name to it. No trade. And this is where Brown should never get underestimated. If you back him into a corner publicly on any issue, you’re going to have a long wait. Some might call him stubborn. But most tough, principled and smart people are. You’d call Palmer that, too. But his trade request died the moment it saw the light of day.

It could still happen. But should you hold your breath?

Plus, there’s this: Those close to Brown say Palmer is one of his favorite all-time Bengals. It figures. A great passer with a low-key, easy-to-like personality who never bought all the hype about himself.

I’m sure Armando is right on it.

But it looks like the Dolphins have to fish elsewhere.

At least for now. And now is looking like a long time.

And with the lockout freezing the league, that’s all we’ve got is now.

Tags: , , ,

47 Responses to “No trade winds”

1. By jamison007 on Apr 6, 2011 | Reply

Hobson – great post! I saw that supposed ‘news article’ on the web about Marino patronizing Palmer saying he would like to get him, but only for a third round pick. Made me really upset…does Carson know the rest of the league doesn’t give him anywhere close to the credit he deserves!? Bengal fans are bad enough, but Palmer gets a heck of a lot of heckling by the rest of the league…so it perplexes me why he would want to go anywhere else! Palmer is loved in Bengaldom and we are the only NFL fans that know just how valuable he is. C’mon Palmer, the rest of the NFL and fans just want to rip on what you have done in Cincy so they can get you on the cheap…doesn’t that bother you? It’s time that Palmer realizes he needs to prove himself in stripes! Who Dey!

2. By bengalanthony13 on Apr 6, 2011 | Reply

To not move Palmer (given there’s a new CBA in place before the draft) would be one of the most horrible decisions in Mike Brown’s career–and that’s saying something given his track record. I know people here in Southern California who have personally spoken with Palmer (one as recent as 3 days ago) and he’s not coming back nor will he play here again. EVER. To stand on “principle” and not deal him at this point would be outright self-sabotage by Brown to this franchise. He stayed put with Chad’s trade demand and didn’t deal him, and it has since backfired and his behavior has spiraled out of control. And, why? Because Brown doesn’t want to set a precedent for players being able to leave when they throw a tantrum. While I see SOME logic in that line of thinking, Brown should adopt the Bellichick/Patriots philosophy of “Everybody is replaceable” and/or “No one is bigger than the team”. Palmer’s presence at this point is only a distraction and if he did sit out and Brown got nothing for him this year, the team would suffer greatly. I’ve been a big Palmer supporter, but this is getting ugly and trading him is the only positive resolution at this point.

3. By hitdog042 on Apr 6, 2011 | Reply

hey bengalanthony13: I wouldn’t trade him either. Palmer has no right to demand a trade. He has a contract. Let him retire. Since you “know” people who “know” him (sure), be sure to pass that message on. Bengaldom does like Palmer. But no self respecting Bengal fan is on his side on this one. He has a contract. Play it out or quit and go home.

4. By hitdog042 on Apr 6, 2011 | Reply

I will add this: Palmer bragging that he has millions in the bank so he can retire is a joke too. Someone needs to remind Palmer who signed all of those checks that were deposited into his bank account. His demand is ridiculous. I am on Mike Browns side on this one. NFL has contracts for a reason. Palmer is not a special case.

5. By 303bengalguy on Apr 6, 2011 | Reply

Thank you bengalanthony13!!!! Exactly my sentiments. Self-sabotage all the way. Deal him, and deal the next guy that cries about playing here too. Deal anyone that doesn’t want to be here. There are guys that will fit, and guys who won’t. Don’t be so stubborn you wind up with your pants down in the end and nothing to show for it.

6. By jamison007 on Apr 6, 2011 | Reply

@bengalanthony13 – you live in Southern California and are a Bengals fan? In all my years growing up in South Cali, never saw another Believer in Stripes in those parts. So you know people who are connected with Palmer, eh? Note to Bengaldom, this is the kind of garbage that is being spewed all over the Web, people talking smack about the Bengals and Palmer but with no knowledge whatsoever of our team. I urge MB to double down and keep CP locked up if he doesn’t have the guts to wear Stripes. CP for a #1 pick next year, pickup Luck and on we roll. That way, we can make the playoffs next year and still get a #1 pick for Luck. I support seeing how Jordan and Dan can do this year and holdout for Luck in Cincy!

7. By donnyscott on Apr 6, 2011 | Reply

Great post??? Really ? Continuing to write posts about how Mike Brown keeps saying he wont trade Palmer seems to make little sense to me. Everything I’ve read from all NFL insiders suggests he will never play for us again. When this labor situation is eventually resolved Mike Brown will have a starting QB sitting at home refusing to take his 50 million to play for the next 4 years and making him and this team look pretty stupid. Once we reach this point I don’t think it will matter if Palmer is Mike Browns’ favorite bengal or even favorite person of all time. He, like the rest of most sensible fans will start to feel that Palmer is a pretty ungrateful sob if he doesn’t already. Then he’ll realize he has to trade him and get as much as he can to resolve this whole mess. If he doesn’t realize this then he just will continue to set this organization back.

8. By hobsonschoice1 on Apr 6, 2011 | Reply

ANTHONY: No one here is disputing that Palmer is serious about his demands. I think they get it. Everybody in the world has talked to him. The word has been passed. The point has been made. He wants out. They get it.

(Even Boomer Esiason informed me this week that Palmer has “shut it down, he’s done with Cincinnati.” But he also said he hasn’t talked to him.)

OK, he’s done. But how can you make any kind of a deal that is worthy with a gun to your head? Isn’t the definition of a bad trade self-sabotage?

And, how can you make a deal when you can’t make a deal?

Look, I hear you. But you’re looking at it like the labor situation is unchanged. The lockout puts everything upside down.

Hey, if we were in that world and Frisco came looking for him with a top 10 pick, who knows? But it’s not that world. And it may have not made a difference anyway.

9. By hobsonschoice1 on Apr 6, 2011 | Reply

HEY DONNY – Really?

I can certainly understand your frustration of the topic, but I didn’t pull it out of the river. The post was simply in reaction to a Miami Herald story. Somebody forgot to tell the Dolphins they’re not going to trade him.

I thought it was interesting the paper suggested Brown was softening up on the trade when all indications are he’s not. Hence, the stuff about Brown and his feelings about Palmer would seem to me to be relevant.

Before making any sweeping judgments about Palmer, I think in the end we have to wait to hear from him and not his real estate agent, or his second cousin or whoever else has been spewing. The guy is far from ungrateful. He’s decent and hard-working and, you’d have to say, extremely frustrated. That probably describes a lot of us in our various pursuits.

You make a good point about making the club look bad. But why make a bad situation worse if you can’t get what you think is fair value? Or if you think you deserve the four years?

Someone said ugly and they were right.

10. By donnyscott on Apr 6, 2011 | Reply

And to all bengal fans who continue to hold out hope that Palmer will come back. Why in the world would you want a QB coming back here with his tail between his legs to try and lead this team when he hasn’t been able to successfully do so before this whole fiasco. Things will get ugly very quickly when Palmer continues his inconsistent and shaky play….To those fans who say, ” he’s got a contract, live up to it.” Contracts were made to be broken. Owners do it all the time when they cut veterans whose play is falling off and I don’t blame them. Just like I don’t blame players when they’re vastly underpaid and want out of a contract.

11. By donnyscott on Apr 6, 2011 | Reply

Hey Hobs, thanks for getting back. I’m all for getting fair value or as much as we can. I’m a bengal fan for goodness sake but who knows what fair value is right now. Palmer’s been between 20 and 25 in passer rating the last 2 years. As for the 4 years you can see from my previous post I don’t think that would go to well…..Re: whose talking, it’s his very well paid agent I’m talking about but I do wish he had the guts to come out and make some kind of statement on his own.

12. By jamison007 on Apr 6, 2011 | Reply

@Donny – yeah, it was a great post by Hobson. FYI, Hobson has been the most credible and legit source of information since we have been in the “era of CP silence”. Hobson is also right that all of us need to keep in mind that CP hasn’t said squat himself, and if you are a follower of CP you know how many times he has said he “hates speculation”…so as a Who Dey Believer, I will give him the decency to speak for himself when the time is right. Otherwise, as far as getting something for CP is concerned…I seriously have a gut feeling that dealing him this offseason isn’t smart, as it was said, making deals at gunpoint won’t get us the #1 pick CP is worth. MB should go ahead and let CP sit 2011 out, then CP will be itching to get on the field in 2012 and mark my words, we will get a #1 pick and if by misfortune we go this route, we will get Luck with that #1 pick in 2012. I want CP back, but if we have to do it, lets make the deal worthy of CP and the fans of Cincinnati.

13. By tralfaz1127 on Apr 6, 2011 | Reply

Thanks Hobson, I think most of us realized you were addressing the supposed news report coming out of Miami. These trade rumors are almost as bad as the pre-draft smokescreens. @hitdog you need to realize that the comments supposedly coming from Carson are bogus. Players that know him,(Whit for one) have said that now way he would ever make a comment about how much money he has. When you hear it from Carson believe it, but other than that the only thing we know is that all word from those close have said he’s serious about the trade. Personally I think the main impetus for the trade demand coming now is the fact that almost all of the west coast teams have unsettled QB situations. Now is the time if you’re going to jump to S.F.,Seattle,Oakland,Phoenix, every west coast job outside of San Diego. After this years draft that could change so it’s kinda now or never for Carson. As for Mike Brown, he’s stubborn and at times incompetent, but I think he will trade Carson after he has found his replacement.

14. By bengalanthony13 on Apr 6, 2011 | Reply

hitdog042: I’m glad you’re not running the show at 1 Paul Brown Stadium Way–sounds like you’d be just as inept at running a franchise as Mr. B. Name another franchise that has hung onto disgruntled players as long as the Bengals do? Where has it gotten them? Chad wants out and the Bengals are offered a first AND third round pick for him (which could’ve become another first) and Brown sits on his thumb. What was their record with Chad that following year? 4-11-1. The Bengals hang on to these types too long and it kills the progression of the franchise. The problem isn’t Palmer. Palmer is just a symptom of the atmosphere that Brown creates around his team. Players usually don’t want to play here unless it’s their last hoorah or they’re forced to by being drafted. Brown would rather take everything personally and hold grudges. This is where the need for a General Manager OUTSIDE of the Owner becomes paramount. The temporary solution is to deal Palmer and get some picks to re-build. The long-term answer is for Brown to change the culture here.

15. By gttiger68 on Apr 6, 2011 | Reply

Hey Hobs, Not to change the subject but it seems clear to me that Chad won’t be here next season either. If the thought was that there is no use having an ageing receiver without a veteran qb, what is Chad worth on the trade market? When there is one of course. He is still under contract for a season right?

16. By mwindle1973 on Apr 7, 2011 | Reply

Did Brown ever say he wasn’t listening to trade offers? No. That’s why he keep hearing occasional reports he’s softening. Instead he’s just listening. Did he say he’s not trading Palmer? Yes. And Why? He said he doesn’t think he can get the value he wants at this time. I thought at one time that Brown was playing the role of riverboat gambler. But what I really have begun to think is that he is willing to pay Palmer and his replacement for 1-2 seasons. We will draft, trade or sign a replacement for Palmer for this season. And then he will show up at camp. And the thinking is Brown has to trade/cut him then. But he can afford it. I know more than anything Brown wants Palmer to be our starter on opening day. And this scenario gives him the best shot at that. I’ve been convinced of this for some time now. That’s why I haven’t really been talking Palmer trade talk. It won’t happen. Not in 2011 period. He will play/sit or retire IMO. I think they are covering all scenarios. And lets remember that Palmer means what he said but he never said he would retire. “Friends” were credited with saying that.

17. By wnyjoe on Apr 7, 2011 | Reply

The combination of Palmer’s value outside of Cincinnati and Mike Brown’s … well… Brown’s inability to soften his stance. Add in the CBA and Palmer’s contract, this deal isn’t happening anytime soon. Talking to fans of 49ers, Seahawks, Dolphins, and Cardinals, they don’t think Palmer has much left. All they see are the ESPN lowlights of the Bengals season last year. Most of them say they’d give up a 3rd or maybe a 2012 2nd round pick. The coaches and GMs know his real value. Palmer can win games. Especially with a good team around him. He would make any of the three NFC West teams instant favorites to win that division. Isn’t that worth multiple picks? I’ve always thought if a trade does happen, it might be better to wait until after the draft anyway. As a draft nut, I can tell you there aren’t enough QBs to go around this year.

18. By bengalpirate on Apr 7, 2011 | Reply

Way to keep the vigilance on the blog 007. Perhaps I’m wrong, but I don’t think I’ve ever seen bengalanthony13 on this blog and the same
    goes for donnyscott and his off the wall comments. Maybe anthony gave his hand away when he alluded to the fact that he is from California and “knows” people who have talked to Carson. C’mon now man,REALLY!!! Maybe he can tell us what the Palmer’s named their new baby too??? Carson doesn’t appear as talking to anyone about any of this except maybe his wife, kids and agent and I respect him for that. “Anthony is probably another one of the self-serving types who is a 49’ers fan who would really like to see Carson traded to San Francisco. So why not pose as a Bengals’ fan and stir up the blog muck? Geoff brought up some good points before, in that NO player for draft picks deals can happen as long as there is no CBA and if the lockout drags into July, August and even September. What then??? Unless there is a CBA agreement, or a court ordered deal, it is all academic and Carson won’t get traded anyway and he is realistically looking at next year for any trade that will work for him. Might as well accept this coming season as a wash anyway and play one more year in Cincinnati, if there is a season. Maybe by then, Los Angeles finally gets an NFL team back in the LA area and Carson can do a daily commute from San Diego, which is best for him and his family.

19. By 303bengalguy on Apr 7, 2011 | Reply

Is there any scenario where the Bengals might get a compensatory pick for losing him? Retirement doesn’t count for comp picks does it? If so, I’d think that a 2nd rounder would come from a player of his stature, and thus, that’s the negotiation point for which any team looking to acquire him would start right?

20. By 454rat on Apr 7, 2011 | Reply

If the labor deal gets moving enough to allow trade talk before the draft and I was MB, I would pursue a trade with a dormat if I really wanted to punish CP for quitting. Buffalo, Carolina, hell even Cleveland – yes Cleveland. Why trade him where he wants to go? But we all know the deal isn’t coming, I’m not MB, and CP is sitting this year out. Maybe even sitting this career out. I was a fan during the productive years, but leaders come through when things get tough. CP doesn’t. We need a QB who will not be a hermit here. My vote is for Ponder in 2nd and sign a short term vet – Collins or McNabb maybe. Chances of that are about equal to the chance of Marshall Faulk being drafted here.

21. By tepidfan31 on Apr 7, 2011 | Reply

Get over it; whether you like Palmer or not, He’s gone! So forget it. The problem is; Brown won’t forget it.
    Opinion: I don’t like any first round QB picks, especially when there are question marks on each one of them. PICK PETERSON, and play him at S like Polamalu or Reed. He is bigger, faster, and a better cover guy than both. He is the only sure-fire Pro Bowler in the draft.

22. By donnyscott on Apr 7, 2011 | Reply

Yeah right bengalpirate, my thoughts were so off the wall that Hobson responded directly to my first comment and admitted that I had a good point. You know you don;t have to post here often or at all to know what you’re talking about. Most people who post here don’t have a clue….Obviously everybody should know that no moves can be made now but once this is settled decisions must be made and I stand by all pevious comments. Why would you want a player who has publicly quit on ownership, coaching staff, teamates and fans to ever play one more game here.

23. By donnyscott on Apr 7, 2011 | Reply

jamison007, I disagree. Reiterating what M. Brown says brings nothing new to the table in a situation thats not going away. Palmer is not being silent, he’s just not going on the record. Him or his agent is obviously telling all insiders that he’s not coming back. Thats why now even Boomer Esiason is convinced he won’t return. I guess he doesn’t hate speculation as much as you think because if he did he would at some point either deny or confirm some of these comments that have been attributed to him. But maybe he feels he doesn’t have to confirm or deny anything his own agent – who does work for him – says. So keep waiting for some statement from him if you like, I don’t thimk its coming. We’ll probably hear from his wife before we hear from him.

24. By bengalpirate on Apr 7, 2011 | Reply

OK donnyscott, I apologize that perhaps your comments were not so off the wall, as they were just plain negative. Saying that Carson “Palmer is a pretty ungrateful sob” goes well beyond civility and reminds me, once again, of the mindset of the “fans” who dumped garbage on his lawn and booed him without a clue of whether bad plays were Carson’s fault or not. Carson was a man and never complained publicly and his trade request was a totally private matter, as oppose to many players who try and force a trade in an obnoxious way. To call him a “sob” makes me wonder if you would have the nerve to call him that to his face. As far as your comment that “things will get ugly very quickly when Palmer continues his inconsistent and shaky play.” HUH??? You throw out the 2010 season and the 2008 season he was injured, I challenge you to show me the seasons where Carson was inconsistent and shaky. In 2009, how many last minute drives did he orchestrate on the way to a division title? Was he inconsistent and shaky from 2004 thru 2007? I think not. There were at least 3 seasons that playoff berths were within reach, except for missed field goals, bad snaps, etc. etc. Was Carson inconsistent and shaky then? I admire your passion Donny, but I question whether or not, you are a true Bengals fan, or one who jumps off the bandwagon when a season goes awry and finds a classy guy like Carson Palmer to blame it all on. WHO DEY!!! Thank you Carson for the great years in Cincinnati.

25. By donnyscott on Apr 7, 2011 | Reply

Thanks for the apology bengalpirate but this is a very negative situation. Re: comment about Palmer possibly being viewed as an ” ungrateful sob”, I’ll say this. You own a company. You;re paying the most important employee very very well. Probably more than he’s worth or has earned. Now he refuses to honor the contract that he loved being renegotiated that will pay him 50 MILLION DOLLARS for the next 4 years. A sum that better employees for other companies may not be making and now he is demanding you send him to one of your competitors. How would you feel?,,,,Re: Palmer being inconsistent. Every year except 2005. The shakiness began in 2007 (20 interceptions, several pick sixes) Not as much in 2009 because he was made less of the focus of the offense. Look at his numbers from game to game over the years. Not neccessarilly his overall yearend numbers. He tended to have some very big statistcal games that then skew his numbers. The most important statistic though is points. When is the last time this offense scored at least 24 points a game or more on a consistent basis.

26. By bengalanthony13 on Apr 7, 2011 | Reply

bengalpirate — Are you kidding? You REALLY think I’d create a Bengals screenname just to pose a Bengals fan, even though I’m a 49ers fan and want Palmer? Ridiculous. I’ve been here before Hobson created the actual blog and just took fan email questions. Please re-read my first post. You’ll see that I started the whole thing with a disclaimer about the new CBA being in place in order to deal Palmer. I’m a hardcore Bengals fan and get continuously ridiculed for it here in SoCal. My reasoning for bringing up the Palmer situation that happened out here was not to “stir” anything up, but to inform Bengals fans that from the “horse’s mouth” itself (Carson’s), he’s told people out here that I know that he’s done in CIncy. He hasn’t elaborated, but that’s it. If you don’t want to believe me, that’s fine, but it’s legitimate news. As for “bandwagoners” that you mention, the fact that much of the Bengals fanbase would like to see Palmer traded doesn’t not make them fans. This situation is hurting the team. If Carson truly wants to leave, do you think he’ll really come back and play if he’s not dealt this year? Futhermore, do you think he’d even care and be effective if he actually came back? I don’t.

27. By mwindle1973 on Apr 7, 2011 | Reply

@donnyscott: You are trying to simplify a complicated situation. Just because you have feelings about it…well let’s just say welcome to the club. We all blame something here. I at least partially blame ungrateful fans. I don’t think people understand how much that has to do with this. And there has always been a contingent of fans who are Palmer detractors. They tend to be Lewis detractors, and Bengal detractors in general. And no matter what Palmer has done it’s never good enough. @wnyjoe: Does it matter what the 49ers, Seahawks, etc. fans think about Palmer’s trade value? So the fans think he’s only worth a 3rd round pick. It’s not up to the fans. He’s not a WR, he’s a QB, an 8 year vet, and a former Pro Bowler. And most media pundits who have weighed in on the subject, think Palmer’s value is worth at least a high 1st round pick. Some think more than that. Dan Marino thinks a 3rd rounder. He is generally considered to be a media lightweight by his peers.

28. By mwindle1973 on Apr 7, 2011 | Reply

Apologies to wnyjoe. I missed the point of his comment. He was disagreeing with the fans of west coast teams, not agreeing. My mistake!

29. By mwindle1973 on Apr 8, 2011 | Reply

I keep hearing a lot of scenarios where the labor situation is compared to an employee/employer situation. The owner’s are the employer. But actually the employees are the coaches, the beer vendors, cashiers, etc. The players collectively provide the product that is being sold which is football in this intance. So while they are technically employees, in law and reality it’s not that simple. It’s similar to other entertainment based unions. You ever hear of all the Broadway outlets collectively conspiring to shutdown because the Actor’s Guild decertifies in abscence of a CBA? They wouldn’t and couldn’t. They would go out of business. It’s important to note these complications when considering a player/owner contract/trade dispute. And especially when considering the current labor situation.

30. By kaptkurt on Apr 8, 2011 | Reply

It’s a moot point for two reasons. 1. All these comments are hearsay. I have yet to hear ANYTHING from Palmer. His original comment was from his agent, 2. There’s a LOCKOUT!! Any trade rumors are just that. Rumors. I would think there are some tampering issues involved because he’s under contract and because teams are not allowed to talk under the terms of the lockout. The absolute worst thing we can do is draft a QB #1. If we do that, the gun to our head would turn into a cannon.

31. By atn1980 on Apr 8, 2011 | Reply

I think the thing that most of us are really missing about this situation is… how is this going to effect the rest of the team? How will they respond if Carson comes back? Do they even want him back after he asked to be traded? This is the real issue that Mike Brown should look into… Not the fact that sometimes players change their mind after asking for a trade… but the repercussions that it has on your team. All the reporters asking the current players about the situation takes a toll on the team’s mind set (see 08 with Chad). I do agree that he should not be traded for anything less than a first rounder, otherwise let him retire… It’s going to happen some day, if that day is today… So be it. Let him turn his papers in, so at least we can get one last dig and make him retire as a BENGAL.

32. By bengalpirate on Apr 8, 2011 | Reply

Yeah donnyscott, we are going to have to agree to disagree, but I still don’t understand the bitterness in your postings. Did Carson do something to you personally that makes you so bitter and vindictive? Maybe you bought season tickets after 2005, thinking the Super Bowl Championship was next? Too many folks are taking all this garbage, sports gossip and acting like it is reality. It’s like watching a really, really, bad reality show, where all the drama is made up just for sensationalism and ratings, and not a shred of it is real. Once again, though, until they win a Super Bowl, I guess the Bengals are just one of those bad reality shows and we are all just part of it. I hope I someday get listed in the credits for “Bengals Gone Bad” or more hopefully, “Bengals Win the Super Bowl” reality shows. :)

33. By tepidfan31 on Apr 8, 2011 | Reply

I can’t believe you guys; all these blogs are Palmer, Palmer, Palmer. DAMIT, he’s gone. Let’s discuss the pertinent issues for next year, assuming there is one. The issues: 1. Draft a QB, trade for a QB. 2 Joseph, Benson, Chad. 3. Is Andre a bust. 4. We need safetys, LG, MLB, or who,etc.? Why are we drafting 4th, instead of 32nd? Put Palmer to bed in California, since he won’t wake up until Brown does. I really tire of hearing all of your comments about a dead horse.

34. By bengalpirate on Apr 8, 2011 | Reply

Hey bengalanthony, I’m glad you are actually a hardcore Bengals fan and I empathize with the abuse you must take out there. However, my big point I’m trying to make is why someone doesn’t go on record with all these things Carson is allegedly saying. If something came directly from the “horse’s mouth” i.e. Carson, then why don’t these folks go on record with these conversations? I’m sure ESPN or TMZ would pay them well with such juicy tidbits.

35. By donnyscott on Apr 8, 2011 | Reply

@mwindle1973. I’m only using that employer/employee scenario strictly in reference to the Palmer situation and my characterization of him possibly being viewed as being a ” pretty ungrateful sob”. He’s taking his 50 million dollar contract, stomping all over it, and telling you he’ll just go home and live off the millions you’ve already paid him!!!

36. By donnyscott on Apr 8, 2011 | Reply

Hey bengalpirate, don’t mean to sound bitter but 50 mill is a lot of money but if he doesn’t want to be here it’s better that we know it so he can be moved for something…..You know somebody made a good point. There’s plenty of other issues to focus on which was kind of the point of my original post. Talking about M. Browns refusals to trade is a waste of time.

37. By ghostzw on Apr 9, 2011 | Reply

I’m not sure I understand anyone’s frustration with Mike Brown being stubborn here. What’s he supposed to do, come right out and say, “yeah, Palmer is going to be gone anyway so we are planning on trading him.” That wouldn’t exactly do much for the trade value of a player that is already a little bit tarnished by last year’s INT numbers. Brown is doing the right thing. He can’t make a trade right now anyway. Slow play it. Show an intent to stick with Palmer to a.) massage the trade market, b.) allow flexibility if something changes and the guy ends up coming back. Not that it matters. After the lockout stretches past the draft, it will be hard to get fair value even if they wanted to make a deal. They’re better off hanging on to the guy in hopes that he’ll unretire in 2012 and some desperate team will make an offer worth their while.

38. By mwindle1973 on Apr 9, 2011 | Reply

Donny, I’m not sure what your comment about 50M is. So Palmer is threatening to retire and not honor the contract. Owners prematurely end contracts all the time. If they thought Palmer was washed up like the media was trying to sell this season. THey would cut him, or ask him to play for less, or trade him. Remember what they did to Willie Anderson. It’s certainly his perrogative to retire whenever he wishes for whatever reason he wishes. I’m sorry but I think Brown is right in not trading him. Unfortunately Palmer’s poor performances have lowered his probable trade value. Which has made this situation unworkable. His timing sucks. With no CBA he couldn’t be traded anyway, and having 20 INTs, etc. has made people question his abilities. Plus you can’t let one guy do this and not expect more mutiny down the road. And what’s the problem with Hobs writing about Palmer as new reports hit the news cycle? It’s relevent first of all. And then to boot this is his blog! He can write about what he chooses.

39. By tepidfan31 on Apr 9, 2011 | Reply

Let’s start a discussion re the Draft. My Perspective: Before the draft: 1) We must know that we can sign our key FAs, especially Joseph the Benson, since if we do not, these positions become draft Priorities. 2) We should consider trades at other key positions, and if we don’t trade for a QB, we absolutely need one in the draft, but when? Draft: Are we in the rebuild mode or in a championship mode? This determines priorities, then assuming “championship mode”, what do we need?
    We probably all have different perspectives, but mine are with Joseph and Benson in the fold, and hoping we’re comfortable with the above. Free Agents: 1) CB Joseph: Very few good ones. 2) RB Benson: Prime player, but generally can find a back in draft. 3) DL Fanene: When not hurt, plays well with 6 sacks last year with limited snaps. 4) WLB Johnson: A good backup at LB. 5) S Ndukwe: A good back up, probably keep, since other safetys are weak link. 6) RB Leonard: Good back up, but doesn’t get many snaps. 7) MLB Jones: Good but not great MLB, sometime we’ll need one. These four FAs are our least concerns: WR Terrell Owens, G Evan Mathis, S Roy Williams, TE Reggie Kelly.

40. By whodeysteve on Apr 10, 2011 | Reply

Ok guy’s I have a plan. Someone in the organization need’s to find Dan LeFevour and tell him to go to Ken Anderson’s Elite Football Camp from April 14-17 at St. Xavier High School. At best he will learn to be half the quarterback Ken Anderson was and will go on to have a great career with us. At worst he will learn how to grow a awesome mustache.

41. By mnkwhodey on Apr 11, 2011 | Reply

Guys face it, Carson Palmer is not the man we drafted anymore. Im not going to pretend to know Carson or anything like that, but something has happened in the last 4-5 years that has changed him. I think you are all missing the variable that has takin place in his life in the past few years. The fact that he has started a family. I think the man wants to get a way from the small town drama that is Cincinnati. Carson is a young man that doesn’t mince words, so I would take him for his word and let him go. Mr. Brown please don’t let your pride get in the way again. I know you have invested a lot of money in Carson, but you need to cut your losses and move forward. I know you are a family man, and a good man at heart. You should take a step back, and think in terms of, what your father would do. It will hurt for a little while then you will get over it. We all will. We finally got a new offensive coordinator, let him develop a QB and get on with the future of this team.

42. By jamison007 on Apr 11, 2011 | Reply

@Bengalpirate – thanks for the shout out earlier, it is amazing how any Bengal fan could not clearly see how the level of excitement around Bengal football has been elevated tremendously since Palmer came into town. @Donny & Bengalpirate – go back and re-read Bengalpirate’s post. Do we really have to go over the 7 last drives in 09 to win or tie the game? Really? Too long ago? If you two are truly fans, then let me just point a few things: 1-no draft pick or FA this year or next will ever compare to Palmer. The smokescreen is to talk Palmer up as if he has nothing left in tank, what a crock…if we were talking about getting a FA like Palmer, we would be drooling over ourselves. 2-if us fans don’t get out and show our love and support for Palmer, how do you think he will ever have even a chance of changing his mind, huh? Seriously, if players like to feel loved, don’t you think Palmer might like to get some fan appreciation and persuasion to return? 3-If you are a true Bengal fan then how many times have you heard Palmer get upset about speculation in the media? huh? how many…? Answer:all the time. I believe we need to show Palmer love, give him support…if Palmer played his cards right, he would use his power to get MB to make the player moves he wants to see happen.

43. By jamison007 on Apr 11, 2011 | Reply

key edit –
    @Donny & Bengalanthony -….

44. By tepidfan31 on Apr 11, 2011 | Reply

I’m negative again, but after 20 years, why shouldn’t I be. Marvin “we drafted pretty well”. But, referring to those eight draft years, I would think that every team would want to be satisficed with at least 9 guys. My question: who in the Bengals organization pushed for Rivers over Mayo? Rivers is ok, but he should be at 9, but understand that the Patriots were in ectasy that the Bengals gave them Mayo at 10. They should be; he is all pro. Maybe our personnel department in those 8 years should have drafted like NE.

45. By jamison007 on Apr 12, 2011 | Reply

@tepidfan – Rivers had a rough rookie year, but he came along well last year and is one of a youthful bunch we have on defense with Dunlap, M. Johnson and Rey…everyone in the league thinks we are in re-building phase…let em keep thinking that. If our team took this offseason very serious they could get a big jump on any slackers in the rest of the league, this should be big motivation for Jordan and Dan…and I still vote to give them a chance.

46. By whodey543 on Apr 22, 2011 | Reply

How does the NFL handle retirement? Like, if Carson retires, sits out for x months or maybe a year, can he then ‘unretire’ ala Brett Favre, and then go to any team he wants? Just curious on what the NFL rules are on that…

47. By oldbengalfan on May 2, 2011 | Reply

Now that the Bengals have drafted an excellent quarterback prospect the question is how should they handle the Carson Palmer situation. Palmer may still have great potential but I’m sure I’m not alone in wondering if he will ever be an elite quarterback. In the playoff game against the Jets a few years ago he was consistently off target, throwing the ball high to open receivers. His performance in 2010 was also very average. Unless we could get a first round draft pick for Palmer I’d let him retire and I’d cut his brother at the same time. Jordan Palmer is only on the roster because Carson is there. It’s a joke to think that Jordan could ever start in the NFL. Not trading Carson and cutting Jordan would send a message that we don’t appreciate a man not living up to his word and fulfilling his contractual obligations. Let’s get a fresh start and get rid of the Palmers.