Will judge’s decision impact ’11 draft?

Posted by hobsonschoice1 on April 26, 2011 – 10:43 am

A few warmup tosses to start the Tuesday before the draft, 48 hours from Carolina taking Auburn quarterback Cam Newton No. 1, so everybody says.

» The league is still in limbo the day after federal court judge Susan Nelson lifted the lockout and national reports have suggested the NFL won’t lift its lockout rules until either Nelson or the Eighth Circuit Court of Appeals rules on a stay of the lockout. Reports say the players have until 9 a.m. Wednesday to respond to appeal, so it won’t be Tuesday.

If Nelson doesn’t grant a stay, the league figures to ask the Eighth Circuit for a stay. If a stay is granted the lockout could continue for a couple of months until the Appeals court rules on the case. If there isn’t a stay granted, then the NFL would be open for business but no doubt it would take time to figure out which rules to use.

» With the situation still up in the air, there were no signs of Bengals players at Paul Brown Stadium Tuesday morning. According to ProFootballTalk.com, Washington’s Lorenzo Alexander showed up but he was told he couldn’t work out and left. According to Rich Cimini of ESPN New York, Jets wide receiver Jerricho Cotchery checked in but left when he was told he couldn’t use the hot tub for his surgically-repaired back.

NFL PR chief Greg Aiello sent out a statement Tuesday morning saying teams are going to observe the lockout rules until the courts make a decision.

“We are going to proceed in an orderly way that is fair to the teams and players and complies with court orders. Players are being treated with courtesy and respect at club facilities,” the statement said. “We do not believe it is appropriate for football activities to take place until there are further rulings from the court. Under the last set of proposals made to the NFLPA, teams wouldn’t even be into offseason programs yet. We need a few days to sort this out, as NFLPA attorney Jim Quinn indicated last night.

» The only way the labor situation impacts this draft is the belief that it could affect teams trading down and trading for 2012 draft picks. With Nelson’s ruling, the potential of implementing the 2010 rules looms larger and that means the same rookie pool system.

That’s the same system that has chilled trades into the top 10 because of the monstrous bonuses. Plus, the ruling raises the specter of the NFL getting hammered on antitrust violations because of the draft. So will there be a draft next year? And if there is, how long will it be are questions, you would think, teams have to ask before making a deal with ’12 draft picks.

» ESPN draft analyst Todd McShay tweeted Monday night Bengals defensive line coach Jay Hayes was seen at the airport in Mobile, Ala., home of Auburn defensive tackle Nick Fairley. Makes sense. Head coach Marvin Lewis indicated Monday the Bengals are looking at all the top five players beyond Newton and Missouri quarterback Blaine Gabbert. Their list is probably pretty close to media reports: Fairley, Texas A&M linebacker Von Miller, Georgia wide receiver A.J. Green, LSU cornerback Patrick Peterson, and Alabama defensive tackle Marcell Dareus.

Hayes also chatted last weekend with Wisconsin defensive end J.J. Watt. Hayes’ son Jesse is playing for the Badgers next season and he saw him at an event in Madison.

Tags: , ,

22 Responses to “Will judge’s decision impact ’11 draft?”

1. By mwindle1973 on Apr 27, 2011 | Reply

Will judge’s decision impact ’11 draft? Geoff we can only hope so! Although it seems unlikely being the draft is 8:00 PM tomorrow. And even though I think the judge will deny the stay early tomorrow. IDK if that means the NFL has to open up player trades, free agency, etc immediately. Or whether they will have the chance to schedule those things at a future time. But it is a possibility that player trades could be allowed during the draft. And wouldn’t that really open up the trade possibilities? You would definitely see teams try to land McNabb, Palmer, Kolb & Matt Flynn (Packers) via a trade of picks and/or players.

2. By jamison007 on Apr 27, 2011 | Reply

Bengaldom – my sense is the court is going to end the lockout. Free agency will soon be open, do not panic and think QB run, there will be plenty available in 2nd round.

Truly,
    Lifelong Bengal Fan

3. By tepidfan31 on Apr 28, 2011 | Reply

Draft Morning, I hope I’m not in mourning after tonight. Be Creative! Carolina needs a QB and also to replace Smith. Trade Palmer and Ocho, plus 2012 1st round pick for their pick tonight. Then select Peterson and either Jones or Green. The word on Green is that he can’t block, whereas Jones can. Select Jones. Result: infinite happiness!

4. By tepidfan31 on Apr 28, 2011 | Reply

I hope, if we are not creative, we pick Peterson. The reasons; if we do not pick up a good FA QB, I think the only one it should be, is Kolb, then we have a marginal FA QB or a questionable Draft QB. If it’s the latter, we will not have a great offense for a year or two, and Green will not help us much. The only hope we have to be competitive is to shore up the defense into a top 5 unit. A lot of the pieces are in place, and Peterson along with Joseph Hall,and Pacman will give us the best pass defense in the league. If Joseph goes,again we need Peterson. Also, remember that Hall becomes a FA next year. It has to be Peterson,a pro bowler, if there ever was one.

5. By chiragn on Apr 28, 2011 | Reply

I’ve always felt that the Bengals and Falcons have a good working relationship. Is it true that they are desperate to get into to the top 10? Any chance they call Mike Brown? Also, I wouldn’t put too much stock into what Peter King is getting from some anonymous NFL GM. If I were the GM of a team picking after number 20, I would be trying to scare other teams into reaching for a QB also.

6. By mwindle1973 on Apr 28, 2011 | Reply

Word is the skins are desperate to get Gabbert. And would trade as far up as 2. I think the Falcons want Green. Last mock I looked at had us taking Green and then Mallett at 35. I would be pretty happy with that. I still believe Mallett is the best QB and most ready to start right away. Plus it seems that his character issues are non-existant. Only the teams know for though. Gabbert would be a great pick too but not at #4. I don’t think he can start until mid-season or next. I’ve said before and again I think we should take Petersen if hes’ there, Dareus next, then in no order Fairley, Green or Miller.

7. By jamison007 on Apr 28, 2011 | Reply

Have to say, I am very proud of our pick. It seems Coach Gruden just found his top opener. Stay in good shape AJ, its going to be a fun season. I wonder how Kaepernik (sp?) looked to our coaches. You have to at least give him credit for bringing attention to Nevada…pretty hard thing to do, surely he had to fire up his squad somehow. It will be fun to see how Round 2 shapes up now.

8. By tepidfan31 on Apr 28, 2011 | Reply

That’s just fine, a WR, but unless we get Kolb, there is no one to throw it. If we don’t sign Joseph, we have to hope that Pacman steps up, and we still don’t have a decent safety. Where is the upgrade from last year? We still need a LG and may need a RT. We are unsettled at LB, with Jones aging and the others so far mediocre.Then, if we don’t sign Benson, we have another hole. Tack it all up to the wisdom of our un-leader and uncreative Brown. It skipped a generation!

9. By coachwine on Apr 28, 2011 | Reply

The only thing that was surprising about Susan Nelson lifting the lockout was that she pretended not to know her decision before she heard arguments. The union picked that court for a reason and was wise on their part in doing so. She’s been in the tank for union causes for her entire judgeship. As a fan, it’s like all this rain we have had, you can’t do anything about it, so don’t get worked up. If they can make a trade-great–if they want to, If not, football will be played sometime and someone will be throwing passes and handing the ball off. We will love and hate our beloved Bengals and life will resume as always in Bengaldom. Nice choice on Green. Are there any 2nd or 3rd round quarterbacks that will fit the offensive scheme—That’s the bigger question.

10. By mwindle1973 on Apr 29, 2011 | Reply

Green was a great pick. I wish we would’ve went with the best player available period instead of offense. Petersen was there. It’s like passing on Deion Sanders…but….is it worse than passing on trading down? It depends on how good Green turns out to be. But I really think we need more help on D than we seem to indicate. I know everyone thinks he replaces Ocho. But only on the roster. He is a flanker by all accounts. I think you will see him take the spot TO played last year. SImpson will be the starting split end in Chad’s old positon. Just my take on it. But by all accounts of the “experts” he’s a flanker or Z as they say now. Now do we trade up to 33 or not? If we don’t someone else could and both QBs could be gone leaving us only Kapper. But why trade down with so many options. There is of course Dalton & Mallett (please let it be so!), Bowers (DE), Paea (DT), Ayers (SAM LB), Moore (FS), Williams (CB) & LeShoure (RB). So unless we absolutely have to have one these QBs, then we shouldn’t trade up.

11. By mwindle1973 on Apr 29, 2011 | Reply

Here’s a good topic for debate. Bowers was once considered to be the #1 prospect. “Reports” (they use this word like a noun) say that some teams were so doubtful about Bowers knee that they took him completely off their boards. With pick 35 do we go for a QB? Or do we pull the lever on the once concensus #1 pick? After all look at the value if his knee heals fine. Or we have a good value pick at DT, LB, FS, CB, RB & OL? Me I think we aren’t in a postion to take risks right now. But low risk can sometimes mean low reward. And at #35 you should be picking up a mutlti-year starter.

12. By jamison007 on Apr 29, 2011 | Reply

@tepidfan – back off on all the bad talk of MB and our Coaches. Just talking bad about our organization for the heck of it isn’t helpful. Actually, of all our weak spots, WR was one of the glaring ones. Especially given that Ocho quit on this team some 3 years ago and never ‘bucked up’ as we all hoped he would. Instead, reports have it he was flying to LA with T.O. after every game. Its also about time that us fans give Jordan some credibility for taking the reigns this offseason and keeping our team in shape out in Cali. Jordan deserves a full shot during OTAs. Who says that Kolb is the answer anyway? And, my last point…nobody expected Dalton, Mallet and Kapper to be available in Round 2, huh? The AJ pick now looks all the better my friends in Bengaldom!

13. By mwindle1973 on Apr 29, 2011 | Reply

Oh my! I just read that ESPN inside info says Dalton is plan a and Mallett is plan B. I reallly want to see us pick up Mallett in this scenario. Please football gods, intervene and force us into a position to take Mallett. Please! DOn’t get me wrong I think Dalton is pretty good. But he lacks size, he runs too much, and he’s 1-2 seasons from starting in the NFL. Mallett is ready to go now, and I just think he is going to be special.

14. By mwindle1973 on Apr 29, 2011 | Reply

Oh yeah, as for plan C with the 2nd round pick. It’s reported we don’t want to think about that scenario. Meaning obviously we just pick the best guy there or trade down. But they don’t want to be faced with not getting one of these 2 guys. That means Kapper is not a consideration at #35. If we can believe this. But this same analysts had inside info we were targeting Miller or Green with #4 and would not pick a QB yesterday afternoon and he was right.

15. By mwindle1973 on Apr 29, 2011 | Reply

I was so happy that we got Dalton. I wanted him or Mallett coming into the draft. THen I hear the lockout is on again! We may be in trouble football fans, those who respect law and order, justice & right. We have 2 W Bush appointees out of the 3 judges hearing his case. In otherwords there are 2 puppets of the business/corporate/industry interests in control here. But don’t despair. Judge Nelson knew this was going to the 8th circuit for appeal. And she prepared was is thought to be an appeal proof decision. These judges will be under intense public scrutiny from this point now.

16. By jamison007 on Apr 29, 2011 | Reply

Can you believe? Who Dey!!??; no WHO DEY! I love this 1-2 punch thus far in draft. Did you hear AJ? “I have to prove myself”. Join the boys AJ, Gresham, Shipley, Simpson…guys with character, humility and a hunger. Coach Lew, trade Ocho please. This locker room needs a humble crew like this without distraction. I rooted for Ocho all the way, but you got some great people on the team now and its time to protect the character of the team. Carson, you are my hero, please get your butt back to the squad! More reason Coach Lew to adjust the locker room for good. We have such a great crop of character, why let it be aggravated from being anything but great?!!!

17. By mwindle1973 on Apr 29, 2011 | Reply

Too bad we couldn’t have gotten some playbook material in Dalton’s hands before the lockout came back! I’m excited about the pick but with caution. Because I do not believe he can start day 1 without running a vanilla offense. And you better have a grade A OLine, running game, defense & special teams if you think you are going to win with a vanilla offense int he NFL. But I’ll say this. I felt lonely, out on an island, almost crazy for professing for the last couple weeks that Mallet was the top QB in the draft. Reports have it that the Pats had as the #1 QB on their board too. So I’m alright if Belichick is the only person who agreed with me :) I think it speaks volumes that they thought the value to be so great, that they passed filling a need and went with him.

18. By tepidfan31 on Apr 30, 2011 | Reply

Even though we didn’t get Peterson, I like the draft through 4 rounds, Geoff, a question for Marvin. There are a ton of receivers around 6’2
    and weight around 210-220. Most have good speed. Why not consider some of the tougher guys and convert them into safetys? Some have it all, but the experience.

19. By tepidfan31 on Apr 30, 2011 | Reply

Now, it’s after 6 rounds. Like No. 5, but don’t understand picking Whalen in the 6th. I thought that you draft for potential in these late rounds, and we pass on Studivant, Guy, Lockette, and Ian Williams!! I’ll bet that Whalen doesn’t make it out of training camp, further, why another receiver at this point?

20. By mwindle1973 on May 1, 2011 | Reply

Mel Kiper chose us as best overall draft. I still have my reservations about Dalton being ready day 1 and hope they do sign a vet for insurance. Green…what a great pick. I wanted Petersen. But I thought Miller and Green were equally as good of picks. Moch is going to be the future SAM, and what speed. Boling was a 3rd round prospect who should have a chance to start. Sands is going to be a monster at SS, and with Moch will improve the special teams. And we made good use of our picks in round 6 and 7 as well. My only problem…there were 3 good FBs on the board when we picked in the early 7th round. 2 of them were gone a handfull of picks later. Yet there is still a great FB, Henry Hynoski (Pitt), if we can pick him up as a UDFA. Overall this draft is impressive.

21. By mwindle1973 on May 1, 2011 | Reply

Well now let’s just hope that the permanent stay isn’t granted next week and we can get playbookas handed out and sign some guys. And then hope the appeal is denied. If so, then we will have an agreemnt soon after that. The owner’s immense leverage will be gone. And then they can quit demanding the player’s finance the league’s revenue sharing issues. Perhaps if the big market teams want what’s best for the league’s long term profitability and health, they could spread some of that money around to the small markets. After all when the NFLPA formed. One of it’s original stated goals was to obtain a 55% share of league revenues. That goal was met many years ago. Now the owner’s want to tamper with a working formula. THe real issue is they need money for the small market teams to continue to compete. And I believe Brown has been pretty outspoken about this. Owner’s like Jones and Snyder have been the ones who orchestrated this whole strategy.

22. By mwindle1973 on May 2, 2011 | Reply

I’m hopeful like our coaches about Dalton too. But you have to be real careful about starting a rookie QB. Not just because it can ruin your season. But mainly because you can ruin the QB that way sometimes. We have to be able to run the ball. And we have to be able to protect him and give him time. We have to play grea D and special teams to make sure he’s not asked to do more than he can handle. If we can design an offense that brings him along slowly and he can handle it…great. But odds say that’s not likely. Especially since we don’t know when he’ll even get a playbook, let alone have camps, etc. We really need some kind of veteran insurance policy. At least a guy who can maintain the “status quo” if Dalton doesn’t prove ready or has a major stumble along the way. But for the sake of Dalton’s long term performance, please don’t rush him. That’s one reason when Palmer took over why it was seamless. He didn’t play like a rookie.