Ocho, bull have brief fling

Posted by hobsonschoice1 on May 14, 2011 – 11:34 pm

In the time it takes The Ocho to get off the line of scrimmage, the bull named Deja Blu tossed off Bengals wide receiver Chad Ochocinco in 1.5 seconds Saturday night at the Lucas Oil Invitational in Duluth, Ga. The Professional Bull Riders offered him money, a truck and renaming of the bull if he could last for eight seconds. But instead he took his toughest hit from a Bronco since Denver cornerback Champ Bailey kept him out of the end zone in the ’09 opener.

A video showed The Ocho getting tossed right out of the gate while wearing a helmet and a facemask, then he barely avoided the bull’s feet before scrambling through the fence “flashing a big smile as he looked down.”

According to the NFL Web site, The Ocho told the riders’ Web site, “Two seconds, one second, four — whatever it is. This will be something that I’ll be able to tell my kids, my kids’ kids and so on,” Ochocinco said. “Everybody can’t say that ‘I rode a bull.’ I don’t think people understand. To me, that’s awesome.”

The incomplete throw capped a worrisome day, according to The Ocho’s tweets, one of which read earlier Saturday, “I close my eyes I’m still shaking from today’s unfamiliar atmosphere of PBR. Sound of steel gates,bull,mounting,1 nod,gates open #GodBeWithMe.”

He did win over the riders and the founder of PBR, Ty Murray, who tweeted “I’m proud of Ochocinco for looking fear in the eye and having the courage to ride anyway. Been an honor. #HugeRespect.”

The Ocho is now 1-4 against Broncos.

The event appeared on The Versus channel, where wearing a New York Mets hat he said in a pre-ride interview that he realized how dangerous of a sport bull riding is.

“But if it’s my time to go, it’s my time to go,” The Ocho said before his class with Murray, a nine-time champion. “It’s something I can tell my kids.”

Before Saturday The Ocho had been unbeaten in individual matchups against beasts. On June 9, 2007 at River Downs in Cincinnati he beat Restore The Roar by 12 lengths in a horse race he donated all proceeds to Feed The Children. Reports said he would donate $10,000 from Saturday to Feed The Children.

The Associated Press reported via ProFootballTalk.com that The Ocho said “one and done” when it was over. Versus is showing the replay Sunday at 11 p.m.

Tags: ,

6 Responses to “Ocho, bull have brief fling”

1. By mwindle1973 on May 15, 2011 | Reply

Well, I do support him in the fact if the coaches or NFL doesn’t like it…go stick it. It makes me wonder too, if the NFL can just take a contract and put it on hold, how does it go back into effect later? Isn’t it breach of contract to keep players from earning offseason workout bonuses? You can’t seem to find any info that shows what all the issues the players are pursuing in court. But I have to wonder if that isn’t one of them. I’m watching the replay of the bill riding now. Still had it on VS after the Bruins game, but missed the first playing of it. I haven’t watched bull riding in a couple years, so I’ll catch up a little bit.

2. By mwindle1973 on May 15, 2011 | Reply

Well I seen it. Hobs you are right, at about .5 seconds his butt leaves the bull. Or should I say is catapulted off the bull? But the timekeeper doesn’t stop until the rider is forced to let go of the rope. This is because professional riders can sometimes get knocked a little sideways and pull theirselves back up or hang on for a longer time. Chad foolishly held onto to the rope as long as he possibly could. I’m pretty sure when you get bucked off like he did, you should just let go. He came within a inch or so a few broken ribs. I will say this, he is better at getting out of the ring than most bull riders. He came up off the ground so quick and after a couple strides leaped the fencing. BTW is Dhani doing his show again this year?

3. By backjudge on May 15, 2011 | Reply

looked like he was diving for the ground as soon as the gate opened. I’ve seen him put more effort into blocking downfield if you can believe that!

4. By 2ndboot on May 16, 2011 | Reply

Anything for publicity… What’s next? Is he considering a run for president on the republican ticket before dropping out for another “reality show” run? He better find a new mop to rival Donald Dump..

5. By jamison007 on May 16, 2011 | Reply

Good friends, waited a few days to comment on this latest Ocho show antic, to fully complete my thought. When it comes to attitude, I see nothing wrong with good natured fun…if behind that good natured fun/attitude is a lot of extra fitness effort, studying of the playbook and taking extra time to gel with the team and Carson/Dalton. I thought up until the last season that Ocho was doing just that. Perhaps Carson and Coach Lewis thought so too. But it is now obvious. Sadly, Ocho let his individual success get the best of him early and it affected how he prepares himself in the offseasons. The Ocho let his personal success blind him from team success. I wonder if it bothered Carson that Ocho and TO were not under Coach Lewis’ ccontrol. We have way too many young, talented athletes on both sides of the ball to let that type of character walk around in the locker room. I implore Coach Lewis to strike a deal with Belichik once it becomes possible and keep the Ocho show away from Green, Dalton, Shipley, Gresham, Coffman, Caldwell, Simpson…those are our boys; many of whom are out in Cali with Jordan working hard…at least that is my sincere hope. If that is indeed happening, those are the guys we need to root for when camp breaks open this year. Who Dey!

6. By 2ndboot on May 18, 2011 | Reply

It does seem the Bengals are at a cross roads to either attempt to turn Ocho back into a viable star on the field or to simply begin dumping off the toxic asset that is the Ocho.. Of course they could merely bench him for the season and only bring him in when things are hopeless and hope he has something left in him, but as the last poster said, who wants his toxicity in the locker room with all these young guys? On the other hand he does have a bit of knowledge of how to catch the ball in traffic as we have seen him do and take more than a few HARD hits only to get right back up and do it all over again, but his off field work ethic as defined by many peoples standards seems to be just a tad lacking..
    If they want a guy who can do nothing but attract media attention then he’s a bargain, but his football skills have taken to many hits by all appearances.