Bengals sign Torrence to practice squad

Posted by bengalsweb on December 19, 2011 – 2:42 pm

The Bengals on Monday signed cornerback Devon Torrence to the practice squad. Torrence (6-0, 190, Ohio State) is in his rookie NFL season. He signed with Minnesota as a college free agent on July 27 and played in all four Vikings preseason games, with four tackles on defense and two on special teams. He was waived on Sept. 3. Today’s signing marks his first NFL assignment of the 2011 regular season. He is a native of Canton, Ohio and played at Canton South High School.

Tags: ,

9 Responses to “Bengals sign Torrence to practice squad”

1. By mwindle1973 on Dec 19, 2011 | Reply

He’s a good addition to the practice squad. We have a pretty good PS going. Binns, Coffman & Develin are all players who could payoff in the end. Really I think 7 of the 8 have a really good chance of making an NFL roster next year or the year after.

2. By bengalsfan339 on Dec 20, 2011 | Reply

Different subject, but where has Michael Johnson gone. Has his playing time been greatly reduced or just his results

3. By bengalpirate on Dec 20, 2011 | Reply

bengalsfan339 You should check out the NFL Gamebook stats for the last 4 games for Michael Johnson. Although he is now playing more in the passing package defense and getting somewhat less overall playing time, his stats are still impressive. In the last 4 games, he has 13 tackles, or assisted tackles, 2 solo sacks, 6 QB hurries and 2 tackles for loss. In a defensive line that is back rotating 8 players, those are very good numbers. When you look at the contributions the 8 defensive linemen are providing as a unit, yet they stay fresher and healthier, it is good for the stretch run to a hopeful playoff spot. I think that is good for the overall performance of our defense. Who Dey!!!

4. By mwindle1973 on Dec 21, 2011 | Reply

@bengalsfan339: Yeah I wish the Dline could find that high they were on again. I think the Dunlap, Hall & Sims injuries have been the biggest factor. But also we aren’t smothering the run like we were earlier in the season. So most of the time the DLine is forced to play honest. Where as before we were allowing so few run yds that teams became one-dimensional and we could pass rush virtually every down.

5. By tepidfan31 on Dec 21, 2011 | Reply

Redemption: All you posters; remember Dec. 7, 2010, Bengals were 2 and 10. I posted that I hope that they lose their last 4, since who cares if the record is 3-13, 4-12; 5-11, or 6-10; they are all equally lousy; and we will get much better draft picks. To a man, you posters, you roundly derided my post. Now let’s take a look at 5-11 and 6-10; we would not have been able to draft both Green and Dalton: those two guys have been the primary reason for the success on offense. Now here we are at 8-6; I couldn’t care less if we went 10-6 and made the playoffs, since we’re not going anywhere in the playoffs this year. Keep in mind, we have not beaten a team with a winning record this year, and depending on what happens this week, the Ravens might be in the “rest” mode. Of course MB would like it; one more playoff in the last 21 years; a justification of his leadership. I also hope that the Raiders lose their last two; since I think there is no way that they both make the playoffs and get a win, thereby their No. 1 in 2013. We need several quality players to augment what we now have in order to be considered a contender for the crown. Who cares what the record is, if you don’t get the ring. MB won’t do it with quality trades or FAs; we need to do it with quality drafts.

6. By mwindle1973 on Dec 21, 2011 | Reply

tepid: I’m not sure it’s redemption. You wanted us to go 2-14, and we went 4-12. To me I don’t want to see this team blow it at the end. It’s not good for their young budding confidence. I wouldn’t trade Green for anything, but things could’ve turned out if we picked later than we did. There were plenty of players that have had big impact. And Mallett (the guy we would’ve picked after Dalton was gone, and whose liked pretty well in NE) would’ve been available. We probably would’ve ended up with Julio Jones or Patrick Petersen and Ryan Mallet with the first 2 picks. The Chiefs had no wins against teams over .500 either but they beat the Packers. Nobody thought the ’05 Steelers were going anywhere in the playoffs either. I’d rather we make the playoffs and see what happens. As opposed to wishing we lose the last 2 games to gain 2-4 draft positions. On the Raiders issue, I’m not sure where your coming from there. As far as the Raiders, they will be playing either Denver or the Texans, or us if they win the division. So I wouldn’t rule out a win by them in the playoffs either. I understand where your ocming from with this. But usually when you wish for bad things to happen because you will gain something from it, there is often a hidden consequence your just not finding.

7. By tepidfan31 on Dec 22, 2011 | Reply

Mostwindy, would you rather have Green and Dalton, or Jones and Mallett? Did the 4-12 vs. 2-14 bring you joy? And if we were 6-10, which you would have liked, we would not have had either Jones or Peterson. Whereas 6-10 means absolutely nothing to me. KC over GB; these aberations happen all the time; that’s a lame argument. Goodluck on the Raiders.

8. By bengalpirate on Dec 22, 2011 | Reply

Tepid, perhaps you should change your blog handle to grinch31, as you apparently never have anything positive to say here. I agree with Windy, in that I’d rather take our chances in the playoffs, even if we barely make it, as opposed to not making it in. No matter how you look it, making the playoffs is a pretty exclusive club since only 6 teams make it and for this young club, just the experience of playing in 1 game is priceless. If they make it and win a game, then we will see how much this team has matured. Who Dey!!!

9. By bengalsfan339 on Dec 23, 2011 | Reply

Thanks for the MJ stats, havent been able to see last 2 games, just radio. As far as playoffs, huge boost for these young guys to get just the experience of being in a playoff game. If we find a way to get in, it’s probably gonna give us another shot at those darn Texans.