Let the buzz begin

Posted by hobsonschoice1 on February 29, 2012 – 1:42 pm

That didn’t take long, did it?

One day after the Bengals returned from the NFL Scouting Combine, a report surfaced in the National Football Authority citing an NFL executive saying Cincinnati and the Cardinals are in talks for a first-round trade that would allow the Bengals to draft Alabama running back Trent Richardson with Arizona’s No. 13 pick.

But ProFootballTalk.com’s Mike Florio offered Wednesday that with offensive coordinator Jay Gruden saying he likes a back-by-committee he rules out the Bengals using a first-round pick for Richardson on what they see as a rotational position.

On Wednesday afternoon there were no indications that the Bengals brass was involved in any trade talks with any teams. And while the executive told NFA the Bengals think very highly of Richardson, the club is still in the process of setting its board following the combine.

Given that the Bengals have traded up once in the first round in their history and it blew up with the ACL injury to running back Ki-Jana Carter, it’s hard to see them doing it again for a guy that plays the same position. They could draft Richardson with one of their own picks at No. 17 or No. 21, but that would go against their grain, too. They’ve only taken a running back four times in the first round: Archie Griffin in 1976, Charles Alexander in 1979, Carter in 1995 and Chris Perry in 2004.

If they did trade up this year, it would most likely happen on Draft Day and it would be for a cornerback, but history says no.

Just think. There are still 56 days until they make those picks and it’s started already.

Tags: , , , ,

44 Responses to “Let the buzz begin”

1. By mac3333 on Feb 29, 2012 | Reply

What this team did in the past is just that. In the past. If Richardson is on the board @ 17 we take him. Or we have our collective heads examined. Marvin believes in the best available player. And if all things are considered and you have 2 players of equal grade you take the player at the position of need. So if Richardson is on the board @ 17 we should be SPRINTING to the podium. It would be the perfect confluence of value and need.

2. By hobsonschoice1 on Feb 29, 2012 | Reply

MAC: What this team has done in the past is important in anticipating what they’ll do now. I brought up the past in relation to the report of a trade up to show that it is highly unlikely, particularly with a running back.

I think if there are players with an equal grade, they would go by the premium of the position rather than need. For instance, if Richardson is graded the same as, say, defensive end Quinton Coples and defensive tackle Dontari Poe, they’d go with one of the defenders knowing they can get a running back later.

Running backs just aren’t valued the way they were even five years ago.

3. By mwindle1973 on Feb 29, 2012 | Reply

@Hobson: I agree trading up is a big risk when there is no reason to take it. The only trade like you said should be for a CB. And if it is it would have to be Claiborne. And I’m not sure he is worth both our 1st round picks +. Last year he would’ve been the #3 CB and he could’ve been had at 17. If Richardson is there at 17 then we need our heads examined if we don’t take him.have to take him. He is a difference maker. Not only does he have the traditional bell cow size and endurance. But he’s a great pass catcher, and an excellent and willing pass protector. That’s what we need. You can still have your committee-like offense. But this is an AFC North type back. He’s physical between the tackles, but can gain the edge and bounces it out well. But either way I think we have to forget about a CB unless we can trade down to the late 1st/ early 2nd round. I think 1 of the top 2 Gs could be there and we should grab one. Who knows maybe a WR will land in that range. I know this if we do the right thing we should walk out of the 1st round with 2 starters day 1.

4. By mac3333 on Feb 29, 2012 | Reply

Granted the past can be a barometer of the general thought of the team. But paradigm can be broken at anytime. The franchise had never drafted a CB in the first round, until they did with J-Joe. And I agree that the front office wont be looking to trade up to get a player at a position perceived to be deep this year. But I would hope they would think long and hard about Richardson if he were available @ 17. This team has had success drafting DT & DE’s in the middle rounds. In fact we don’t have a single first round draft pick on the D line. We’ve thrived recognizing Dline value and talent in rounds 2-4. Conversely we have ignored the RB position early in the draft to our peril. Sure we drafted Perry years ago in the 1st and he was a bust. But we also passed on Steven Jackson when trading down. We would have been better off taking the sure thing @ RB that year. We can wait until the 2nd round, and we might find our next Corey Dillon. Or he could be the next Kenny Irons. Richardson has the most complete game of any back since Steven Jackson in my humble amateur opinion. He can do everything at a high level. I think if we pass we spend the next decade ruing the day.

5. By hobsonschoice1 on Feb 29, 2012 | Reply

MAC _ I think five years ago your reasoning is very solid on the running back. But I think it has changed, in large part, because of the terrific pounding they take and the move to a more wide-open game.

And, I think, in a minor way the injuries to guys like Perry and Irons, all the way up to guys last year like McFadden and Leshoure, have had an impact. They just get hurt too often to take that high.

I’ve got to disagree here. If they’ve got a shot to get a good pass rusher, or run stopper, or a big-play safety or DeCastro, you take them before this particular running back in my opinion.

You’re right. Richardson is a good player, solid, durable, productive. But he’s not Chris Johnson. A good call on Steven Jackson, though. So he should be there at 21 (Jackson went 24 in ’04), and if he is I’d take him there.

But let me ask you. If he’s there at No. 21 and somebody else wants him, wouldn’t you trade back for an extra pick? Then you can go corner, back, wide receiver from late first to third.

6. By hobsonschoice1 on Feb 29, 2012 | Reply

ALSO MAC _ I’m not saying you have to be a prisoner of your past. All I’m trying to do is use the past as a guidepost. At this point, no one knows what they’re going to do because they’re in the middle of the process. And even when they do know, they don’t tell you. So I’m not going to pretend I know. I think the best you can do is go off the emprical evidence in relating it to this year’s draft in anticipating what they do.

7. By mac3333 on Feb 29, 2012 | Reply

I understand the thinking in the league has shifted and the value of the RB position has plummeted. And for good reason. Teams are finding stars like Arian Foster on the scrap heap. But it’s this line of thinking that would lead to Richardson being on the board @ 17. He’s considered a blue chip player. One of the top ten talents in this draft. Five years ago he wouldn’t be a possibility @ 17. And still might not. That’s the intriguing part to me. We get a player with an amazing ceiling. I think this draft is deep at the major positions of need, G / RB / WR / CB. With four picks in the top 3 rounds the team should have the flexibility to get players of value at position of need. What if you pass on Richardson in the first and by the time you get all the way back to pick 53 and David Wilson, Doug Martin and Lamar Miller are all off the board? A distinct possibility after the solid combines all the players turned in. Whatever the course of action it sure does make for a great discussion. So thanks for that.

8. By overthroensamoan on Feb 29, 2012 | Reply

If DeCastro is there I can’t see them passing with that 1st pick. My big question is how much concern is there at MLB. Let’s face it #58 has been marginal at best and his off the field issues must raise some eyebrows. What about Hightower with that 21st pick. Also WR Stephen Hill would make MBs mouth water if he’s still setting there at 21

9. By gttiger68 on Feb 29, 2012 | Reply

Where this draft get’s exciting is our needs lineing up with availability. The most pressing needs are guard (depending on Bobby) and WR. It appears that the second best at both positions will be available at 17 and 21. If we come out of the round with Decastro or Glenn and Floyd or Stephen Hill, we become very tough to match up against. Toughness between the tackles, with the ability to create mismatchs outside is a very good formula. Add in some later round help to a solid defense and we should be able to win with a RB commitee. We don’t have to reach or wish for Richardson.

10. By nkybengalsfan on Mar 1, 2012 | Reply

I know it would not turn alot of people on, but I sit & dream of DeCastro & Glenn sitting there at 17 & 21.

11. By redhawk8 on Mar 1, 2012 | Reply

I totally agree with nkybengalsfan……if we were lucky enough to have both DeCastro & Glenn fall to those spots….it would be a killing to get both. We would have one of the best lines in the game…and that is where the game is won….in the trenches. The reality is that it won’t happen….but if it did….sign me up for that! Then we find our corner , rb, and our wr…..and turn to free agency to fill those we can’t get in the draft.

12. By mwindle1973 on Mar 1, 2012 | Reply

@ Hobson: What about David Pollack & Dan Wilkinson (you provided that example yourself). They were 1st round pass rushers. All players are prone to injury. Look at Andre Smith. Sure he’s on the verge of proving he was worth that pick. But he could still be a bust if he can’t avoid injury in the future. That’s the risk you take when you draft in the 1st round. The higher you pick the bigger the risk. That’s why teams like to trade down. Now I agree with you in principle on this RB/running game issue. But I think you are getting swept up in trending to some extent. The average team ran 41% of the time last season. You and a number of NFL media act like you can just completely discount running the ball like it has no bearing anymore. But it happens 41 % of the time still?!? What’s the confusion about. WHy do teams still run? Because deception is part of strategy in football, and you have to keep the D guessing. I’m reasoning the better you run the better you keep the D guessing. I think the best example is Green Bay. In 2011 they had a decent/average running game and a top D to go with their aerial assault. They won a SUper Bowl. THis year they had a bottom tier running game and D. They were one and done. ANd I’m still trying to figure out why people were surprised by that. When they hit a team with a top tier passing game that was balanced as well they lost. Pats went down the same way.

13. By mwindle1973 on Mar 1, 2012 | Reply

@ Hobson: In general I agree with you. If this is another year I agree. Pass on the RB until the 2nd round or later. THere’s some good guys that will be good RBs. Like Lamar Miller, David Wilson & Doug Martin. And if we do get one of them they will work fine and probably be starters. And we can get them in the 2nd round likely. Also we have BScott and Leonard and we don’t have to even draft a RB. We could go for a 2nd tier or so free agent for cheap and go committee. But Richardson is a special player. I just think you have a chance to add a play maker at 17 you have to consider grabbing it. Remember too, you and I have discussed the virtue of not taking a WR in the top 10 as well. Pointing to numerous busts and such. But last year we both agreed that Green & Jones were just different. They were WRs, but they were exceptions to the rule. Mayock has been researching this, and his new standard is no RBs until the late 1st round, unless they grade as a once in a few years back like Peterson. Then you take them anywhere. I think we are going to find 2 starters with those 2 picks one way or another. The G pick is good with me too. It’s not sexy, but it’s the safe thing to do. It’s just not exciting. But to me a 315+ LB G pulling through the gap and smashing the nearest defender in the mouth is exciting. And you really need your Gs to be able to pass block the growing number of 3 techs anymore. But you know if a WR like STephen Hill is there, then we have to think about that too. I think we have enough needs and there is enough variety of talent that we will land 2 good players with our picks who will contribute right away.

14. By 303bengalguy on Mar 1, 2012 | Reply

O-Line and CB are the primary needs, and I’d say CB is the higher of the 2. We can’t just roll with Leon Hall and ____ (fill in the blank) at CB and expect to compete next year. Dalton and the young offense really need a sound D to keep them in games still. I’m not yet convinced (despite the 4th quarter game winning drives and all the promise in the world heading into next season for this offense) that we can play from behind on a weekly basis and survive. We’re not yet making Tom Brady comparisons here and I think we can hide weakness at RB easier than we can at OG or CB and draft that RB later on. My first picks would be OG at 17 hoping DeCastro is there, then CB, even taking a flyer on Jenkins if they think they can keep his nose clean at this level.

15. By hobsonschoice1 on Mar 1, 2012 | Reply

WINDY _ I think you may be taking what I said and running away with it.

You must know I’m as big a booster of the run game as anyone. I know because Bratkowski would give me a few subtle shots when I gave a few subtle shots to him about being in love with the forward pass.

And I wrote the Friday before the Super Bowl the Giants would win because they can run the ball just enough. So I don’t think I’m trending.

I’m not saying ditch the running game. I’m not saying don’t draft Richardson. All I’m saying is they think it’s a deep draft for backs, then get a premuium position and get the back later. I’m not saying don’t get a back. Get one in the second, or third, or fourth. And it sounds like Gruden wants to use more than one, which show yous he thinks the run game is that important.

It’s funny, but this is all moot. He’ll be gone by 17.

16. By bigpapa7809 on Mar 1, 2012 | Reply

IMO, Trent Richardson will be long gone before we pick at 17. I think there’s a chance the Bengals looks at picking up a guy like Michael Bush in free agency, and then hope a guy like Isaiah Pead is still available in rounds 3-4. You see more and more teams addressing the RB need in free agency and placing more of an importance on the offensive and defensive lineman.

17. By mwindle1973 on Mar 2, 2012 | Reply

@ Hobson: That’s funny! This is a mute point, because he will be gone by 17. But I’ve never seen so much problems mocking a player. I’ve seen him mocked at #4 and #23 and everywhere in between.

18. By overthroensamoan on Mar 2, 2012 | Reply

What’s the purpose of drafting Richardson when you have a subpar line. You’ve got to fix the OL first. This line really struggled toward the end of the last season. Even Whit looked below average. DeCastro must be the pick if there. You’re still going to get a very good back in round 2. I’d like to see them trade down a couple of spots and maybe get another high 2nd rounder. Also great to have McNally back. Anyone other than me think he’s going to be more than a normal “CONSULTANT”

19. By mwindle1973 on Mar 3, 2012 | Reply

@ Hobson: Talk about learning from the past! Maybe you need to tell the front office what happened last time we franchised a K. Not a good move. With any K. Yes it’s a cheap position to franchise. But you can always find a K. But most of all if you are a team that consistantly spends in the bottom 3rd of the league you can’t afford to pay a K 2.7M. We have 3 back up Dlineman that are going to be sought after in free agency. Fanene, Rucker & Sims will all fetch about 3-5M a year a piece. We are overspending by about 1.5-2M on our K. That right about how much of a raise we need to give those guys. And if it’s not one of those 3 it will be someone else. Clements and Hall together are a 14M cap hit and we still need 2 more CBs. If we were going to be wasteful with money it should’ve went towards insurance at CB. In case we don’t find one in the draft, or Hall is slow coming back, or Clements declines more quickly than expected. They’ve made a ton of great moves over the last 14 months but this is not one. Unless you’ve cloned Ray Guy or Jan Stenerud in their prime you just don’t franchise tag a K or P!

20. By mwindle1973 on Mar 5, 2012 | Reply

Can someone tell me why punching someone during a football game is not assault, but in a bar the same player gets arrested for the same actions? Kind of makes me wonder why Greg Williams isn’t considered a criminal. Like a loan shark who pays people to break bones to collect overdue payments. He paid people to physical harm other people. And he did it multiple states. Isn’t this a federal crime? The whole situation makes me sick. He should be banned from the NFL for life. And any players proven to be involved should be suspended for a minimum of 1 season. You shouldn’t need told that this is wrong. If 1 player had spoke out it would’ve stopped right there. So they are equally to blame.

21. By bengalpirate on Mar 5, 2012 | Reply

My head is kinda buzzing with the fact that apparently the organization sees no value in bringing Cedric Benson back??? I see Benson as a valued property in the AFC North Division and coupled with almost required strong defenses in the North, how do you not try and bring him back? He obviously likes playing in Cincinnati and IMO, he is a classy guy, who can pound the rock. If Jay Gruden says he wants a running back by committee format, that’s fine, but you still need a pounder who can carry the ball 20-25 times in those close defensive struggles, when you need to run out the clock. Given a whole year in Gruden’s WCO, I see Benson as only getting better in the offense and adding to his receptions totals in keeping opposing defenses honest. As Santayana said “Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it” and do we go down the path we have before and think we can bring in a rookie, use unproven vets, or role players and win the division in a run dominant, defensive heavy division? Resign Cedric Benson and then build your RB by committee on a strong, proven factor, not a potential factor. Sorry, but I love the way Cedric plays and I don’t see anything better in free agency, the draft, or already on the roster. I’m just sayin’. Who Dey!!!

22. By mwindle1973 on Mar 5, 2012 | Reply

I’m looking at the recent re-signings of RBs Lynch and Foster. Lynch got 18M guaranteed, 7.5 p/yr. Foster got 21M guaranteed, 8.7M p/yr. That makes them the 3rd and 4th highest paid backs in the league. Now to me that is crazy. The top paid RB, Adrian Petersen is making 12M+ p/yr. How can any team pay that much for a RB? That’s 10% of the cap! How do you afford to hire lineman to block for him? I’m still smarting over us giving Ced Benson 5M for the last season. Plus it’s one position where there is very little correlation between salary and production. I still think if you see that special RB in the 1st round, maybe you should grab him at the new lower rookie prices. But when it’s time to re-sign him, let someone else make that mistake.

23. By bengalpirate on Mar 5, 2012 | Reply

Windy, beg to differ with you, but there is a reason RBs are paid such a premium salary. Good ones, or even fair ones, are so hard to find that you have to overpay to get/keep them. If you play fantasy football, you know pretty much what the first thing everyone drafts is top-notch RBs, or maybe one of the top 5 QBs. In fantasy, having 2 stud RBs is pretty good insurance to make it into the playoffs. I also think that Ced Benson getting $5 million last year was a bargain, considering what he brings to the table. I just wish we would sign him to one last 2 year deal and look for him to have that career year that is so overdue for him. But apparently Jay Gruden has decided he might hog all the carries and not allow for the RB by committee that he thinks will win the AFC North. I think Jay is a brilliant OC, but is forgetting what a stud RB brings to the game and how hard it is to have one that is durable over a career. Who Dey!!!

24. By mwindle1973 on Mar 5, 2012 | Reply

I read an article early in the offseason that predicted that the old Jimmie Johnson trade value chart used for almost 20 years by all teams is out the window with the new rookie wage scale. It predicted that lower salaries will lead to lower risk, which increases the value of the picks. I also read an article the said the value would stay the same and the lowered risk/unchanged reward would just lead to more trading up and down in the draft. Well now we have finally have our 1st glimpse at this question. It’s reported that Rams want the Browns to give up the #4 and #22 picks to trade up to #2. According to the old trade charts. The #2 is worth 2600 pts, The #4 is worth 1800, and the 22 is worth 780. It’s almost equal value by the “old” trade charts. THe Rams have a pick worth 2600 and they ask for 2580 in compensation. So put a notch in the column for “old” trade value system. So far I see no sign that what was predicted will become true. Yet the theory seems pretty logical, and it is early still. But it seems that the value of the picks are going to stay about the same. Maybe teams will be more likely to move up because of the lowered salary risk. But it sure seems like business as usual.

25. By hobsonschoice1 on Mar 6, 2012 | Reply

PIRATE: A big issue with Ced seems to be the back-by-committee thing isn’t in his DNA. I think if he was more open to sharing the carries, he’d be in their plans and they would be in his plans.

I also think they’re worried about the fumbles and how close he came to fumbling them out of the playoffs in the fourth quarter vs. Arizona with two. Can’t have that in an AFC North grindfest.

That said, Ced has been a huge factor the last several seasons and saved them from the injury heap of Chris Perry and Kenny Irons. You’ve got to love his toughness and his old-school style. Part of that style is he loves getting the ball all the time and it seems to be no longer a match.

WINDY: I’m not a chart guy, but it would seem to make sense it’s now much easier to throw around those those top 10 picks in trades, given that they cost about a third of what they did prior to the new CBA. Which should be fun.

Also…I can’t get too fired up either way about the franchise tag. The kicker is the only guy you would use it on. Nelson is a good player, but you wouldn’t give him $6M and you might as well use it. And I don’t think you can compare Graham to Nugent. Two completely different guys. It would seem that both sides want the other in this case and I’m not sure it was that way with Graham.

P.S. _ You just can’t go wrong drafting good linemen on either side of the ball in any round. If there’s a good D-tackle there at No. 17 (Poe, Still), take him. I do think they’ll end up taking a tackle at some point with Sims unsigned.

26. By bengalpirate on Mar 6, 2012 | Reply

I’m hoping, Geoff, that the current Ced Benson situation is a negotiating position and not a final position on both sides. If we got Ced more involved in the passing game that gives him more carries and in a potential 2012 season with Ced in the mix it allows depth for the inevitable injuries that push teams out of playoff contention. I also see Benson’s fumbles in the Rams and Cards games as more an aberration, as opposed to the norm. If only there was a little give-and-take on both sides, perhaps both Ced’s DNA and Gruden’s back-by-committee DNA are altered enough to make a run thru the playoffs. Maybe only a forlorn dream, but I’m haunted by the thought of no Cedric as a Bengal and future nightmares of his presence elsewhere and against us. Who Dey!!!

27. By mwindle1973 on Mar 6, 2012 | Reply

@bengalpirate: The combine is usually when the game of smoke and mirrors start. And I’d bet that Gruden’s comment was a negotiating position, as was Benson’s response. I agree with you, but I don’t think Ced will settle for being in a committee system. He reminds me of Rudi Johnson, YOu have to let him get into a rhythm or he often won’t perform well. Second I don’t think we will offer more than about 3M. Then I’m wondering why he resisted the offense scheme so much, and why his performance was so lackluster. And I’m inclined to think that it’s either he didn’t fully commit or this offensive scheme really isn’t meant for his skills or both. But like you I’m very afraid for the team to make this move and cut ties with him. But to be honest. I was afraid to cut ties with Brat, Palmer, TJ, Ocho, Rudi, Levi. I was wrong on all accounts. We were wrong on Kelley Washington and Kevin Walter though. But they weren’t star players. The only time I can think that we cut a star player because we thought we could do better and it backfired was Willie Anderson. And it back fired for about 2.5 seasons. We thought his replacement was on the roster and Stacey Andrews was not the guy. WIllie ended up starting in the AFC championship. I miss that guy. You could run the off tackle 15 times a game and it would be successful 15 times a game. Ced is a special RB. IMO he’s the most violent, brutal RB in the NFL.

28. By mwindle1973 on Mar 6, 2012 | Reply

I was excited when we signed Binns. But now that we are hearing reports that he’s catching on and is in the mix, I’m really exticed. This guy has a combo of size and speed that is almost identical to AJ Greens. Look at the combine ht, wt 7 & 40 time. Green is 6′ 3.5″, 211 lbs, 4.48 40 time. AJ also posted a low of 4.40 during the team workout process. Binns is 6′ 3.0″, 209 lbs, posted a 4.50 @ combine, and posted a low of 4.43 during the team workout process. AJ’s vertical jump is 34.5″, Binns’ is 33.5″. Their 10 & 20 yard splits during the combine 40 were identical, except for .02 secs on the 20 yard. The obvious difference was AJ had him beat big time on the fundamentals. Other than the frame I think he could be a top 20 WR or better in this league. I know he wasn’t drafted, but I never got why? He should’ve went in the 5th-7th round. And if there wasn’t questions about his frame and strength he could’ve went 3rd-4th round. THat’s why I think it is totally plausible that he could from undrafted to starting #2 this season. The draft process misses sometimes. Man, we had great year in the personnel dept last season. I hope we can continue the streak this time around. I can’t hardly wait for free agency to start and see which of our own free agents we want and are able to land. Then our roster needs will be well defined.

29. By mwindle1973 on Mar 7, 2012 | Reply

@Hobson: Poe at 17 = dream pick of the draft for me! DT is deep and we could get a difference maker with any of the first 5 so long as they fit the scheme. It’s just so wide open what we could do this year. There are several good scenarios. It’s a good thing. I think once we re-sign our own and make any FA additions, we’ll maybe get down to 2-3 positions. Right now it looks like there are 6 positions in the discussion…CB, G, RB, WR, DE & DT. And you could argue a pass rushing LB too, but we need someone to rise or fall in draft status for that.

30. By mwindle1973 on Mar 8, 2012 | Reply

It was sad watching Manning today. I like an article I read that said that Irsay had no choice, but he still better hope he was right. You know Luck may be the best QB prospect since Manning or Elway as we keep reading. But that doesn’t tell us how good an NFL QB he will actually believe. I’m kind of with Phil Simms on this one. He’s a bit over-hyped. He doesn’t have an Elway arm. He has a slightly side arm release. He gets very little rotation on the ball. Now I’m sure Luck will be a starter and an above-average QB. But I think the kid is bound to be a disappointment. He may be more hyped than LeBron James. Luck will have to win a ring and be a first ballot HOFer to match his hype. And even then I can’t see how he can ever live up to the hype. He isn’t even being criticized at all. Not his side arm release, or Tebow-like waist level wind up. I mean don’t get me wrong, I think he’s going to be good. But he has some kinks to work out to be great. And even then part of it is being in a good system with a supporting cast, etc.

31. By lostwou on Mar 8, 2012 | Reply

IMO they wud be crazy not to make some sort of play for richardson. I wouldn’t give up the farm for him but if he were still there when the cards pick I wud give up a 3rd and 5th to get him. So if he were sitting there at 17 like other posters said i wud run to the podium. We play in the afc north. Smash mouth football. Richardson is as durable a back as any that have come along. For the bengals to compete in this division a running game is just as important as a great defense. If there was ever a “can’t miss” rb he would be the one. Trent Richardson on this team would be scarey crazy. And this is the 1st time I have ever agreed with the bengals moving up. I wud rather have quality than just a bunch of picks.. For one it wud take up alot of cap space to sign too many high pick player and we wud just lose them when their contracts were up anyway. Wud I give up our 2nd first rounder for him? No I’m sick of watching us let other teams get guys like him and kill us when we cud of had them. Its not often we have an opprotunity like this. I think our chances are small but u better believe if they got him i’d be doing a dance!

32. By lostwou on Mar 8, 2012 | Reply

Also ML said himself hes not concerned about the OL. He seems to think they r fine in that department. He doesn’t ever seem concerned about any position. The Bengals haven’t traded up in years you r right. If anything they trade down and look where thats gotten them. Until they show me they can consistantly make wise choices in the draft, more picks just means more mistakes. Our draft needs wont be clear until after FA. Aside from Decastro, who cud also be gone when we pick, they can get equal talent at the position in the second rd than to draft Cordy Glenn. After Decastro you have at least 3 OG who imo are pretty equal.

33. By ekupike569 on Mar 11, 2012 | Reply

Let’s look at the teams who made the playoffs last year. IMO 7 of those 12 teams had a single dedicated running back. 7… 2 more of them rarely ever ran the ball. If you tell me we are headed toward never running the ball, then I agree, don’t draft Richardson. Find some better receivers. Also, if we are headed toward a committee of mediocre running backs, why not give the ball to the players we will have after they let Benson walk? Remember, committees consist of multiple people. One, they take multiple roster spots, and two Mike Brown will have to pay these multiple people. That means paying less per person for sure!

34. By mwindle1973 on Mar 13, 2012 | Reply

Looking at the current 19 unrestricted free agents I’ve put them into 3 groups to predict how likely we are to re-sign them. Group 1 are players that we want to keep, can afford market value, but not on a long term deal. Collins, Fanene, Rucker & Sims. They all will require mid-level long term deals, but they are all backups, and we can only afford so much for them. The best chance is a short term deal. Not likely. Group 2 are players we can afford, but have dings, like legal troubles, past injury, underachiever, etc. that may stand in the way of a deal. Benson, Caldwell, Simpson, Williams & Jones. They all have their dings of some sort. We may not want them at all. If we do some will be at discounted price. Deals in this group are anybody’s call. Maybe…maybe not. Group 3 are players we want back, can afford but will have a limit on what we will pay for them. Lee, Scaife, Livings, McGlynn, Roland, Johnson, Lawson, Jennings, Nelson & Wilson. These guys are all wanted back. Virtually all want to be back. I think it’s a matter of matching up on $$$ here. Signings are likely in this group. We could see from 7 to all 10 of these guys back.

35. By mwindle1973 on Mar 13, 2012 | Reply

I think if DeCastro is there at 17 take him unless RIchardson is there (he won’t be!). If we miss on DeCastro, and Glenn is there at 21, take him! What I don’t want to see is us take a chance on a character problem @ CB. Kirkpatrick could be there at 17, but that’s going to be a big judgement call on our part. Janoris Jenkins has way to many character dings and it’s looking like he’s going to project from #25 on down. It’s starting to look like the better option at CB is to trade down into the late first/early second and try to get Gillmore. And I know that finding a starting level CB after the 2nd round is unusual. But if you look at the makeup of this years CB class it’s unusual. The more this goes on I think with the first 2 picks we have to do 2 of these 4 choices: CB-Steven Gillmore, Oline, Dline or the right WR if he presents himself. Oh and of course Richardson at 17, if he’s there, above anything else. But he won’t be there! If had to make a guess right now. I’d say he’s going #6 to the Rams if he doesn’t go 4 to the Browns. If he made it passed there then surely the Chiefs get him at #11. If he was still there we will still need him to go past the Cards @13, Eagles @15 & Jets @16 to get our crack.

36. By mwindle1973 on Mar 14, 2012 | Reply

I just read we have a visit scheduled with Michael Bush. This intrigues me and scares me at the same time. He’s a great power back, and has great ability catching balls out of the backfield. At 6’1″ 245 he’s a big back. And he would work nicely against some of the AFC North Ds we face. I think that one thing that was not appreciated about Benson was his durability. And whoever takes his place he will not likely fill those part of his shoes. All I can say is I’m for the back by committee if that is what we are going to do. But be careful how you build the committee. Because it does give flexibility in game planning, etc. But it leaves you open bad scenarios. You better make sure you have 1 back that can be the lone runner if injury hits your backfield. And you probably need 1 that could do the same if that guy goes down. To me if you want examples, the current Giants do the committee thing well, but there RBs can also function as featured backs if injury requires it. The best historical example was the Broncos under Shanahan. But you build a stable like that through the draft. They drafted a RB at some point in almost every draft for 10 years. When your contract was up it was time to go play for someone else and they would bring another up from the stable.

37. By kschoenfel01 on Mar 14, 2012 | Reply

Is anyone else upset that the bengals organization says that they want to keep the players they already have and let two great role players walk? I am sick of it….Look at last year with Jonathon Joseph, we give him a low ball offer and the guy walks. WOW!! Great job bengals! Second of all, it is sad how under prepared you are for free agency, its ridiculous, that is your full-time job, to anticipate and be ready for these times. We have almost more money than any other team to spend by next year and we barely anything to show by it. Oh wait, we signed big named players dan skuta, hayden, and peerman…since they are our go-to guys. I am sick of seeing and hearing the bengals talk about how they want to be like the New England Patriots and develop their own team and then we let two of our great role players walk. We are nothing like the New England organization and will never be as long as Mike Brown is around. What a laugh stock this bengals organization truely is.

38. By mwindle1973 on Mar 16, 2012 | Reply

I don’t understand the Mock Draft. I read all the way down then there is no projection on our 17th pick. I appreciate the point that there are a group of players we will choose from at 17, and it will be hard to tell which one it will actually be until we make the pick. But for the point of the exercise, don’t we have to go ahead and pencil a player in that slot? If not, how do we get to #21?

39. By mwindle1973 on Mar 16, 2012 | Reply

Well McGlynn is the next guy to get signed with another team. That makes 3 now. What will be interesting is how we fill these holes. Because there will be more. We could fill these holes in free agency or in the draft, but we may also fill it by subtraction. And it may be the case that there are guys on the roster already that they feel comfortable moving too. Like Boling, Hudson, Mays, etc. But DT & DE are going to require some kind of moves. We only have 3 DTs & 3 DEs on the roster right now. I think with Fanene & Rucker gone the chances of getting Sims back are better. But again like with the other 2, if it takes more than 2.5-3M a year we won’t sign him. We may not even sign him then. There are not a lot of attractive free agents at DT/DE. But we are simply looking for a role player/backup. But it would also seem that drafting a Dlineman in the 1st round is becoming more likely.

40. By rparr32 on Mar 16, 2012 | Reply

@Hobson. Is it me or does it seem like the Bengals are just sitting by watching alot of their key players being signed by other teams while not doing anything as far as signing the remaining or obtaining any free agents? I know this question has nothing to do with your blog post but it was the only way I knew how to reach out to you. As a fan, (for 30 years) this seems to be typical Bengals again. It is already Friday and I havent heard of one signing that fits a major need. If anything, I see them allowing key players being picked up by other teams hence Rucker/Fanene and now a Mcglynn (not sure if that is how you spell it) I dont know about what you think , but arent we already thin at gaurd? I still havent heard anything about Nelson either. Can you fill us fans in on this and why they are allowing this to happen. Also, with all this money why havent they signed Bush yet? AKA Michael Bush. I just know as someone who has lived in this city for forty years that if they dont start getting on the ball, and quit allowing key players to walk out of here, the blackouts from last year will be even worse this year. Us fans are tired of this crap. Just saying

41. By mwindle1973 on Mar 17, 2012 | Reply

Good move at G! They are approaching this as I had hoped the team would. The team is being smart with it’s money and it should be. The only big money we should unload in free agency is to a starting CB or if the contract is a 1 year deal. And by big I mean over 2-3M a year. Just too many guys to re-sign in the next 2 years. And even if we leave space i future years, it’s going to be hard to re-sign them all. By the time 3 years passes we will have had to do new deals or replace everyone on the roster but Hall, Cook & Whitworth, That’s 37 contracts that expire by the end of 2014 or before. 29 of them expire by the end of 2013 season. 18 of them by the end of this season, including 6 starters from 2011 roster. What puts us in a unique position is we have tons a young talent on the roster and if we don’t mess it up we will have the money over the next 1-3 years to re-sign a great deal of that young talent.

42. By mwindle1973 on Mar 20, 2012 | Reply

@Hobson: In your recent article ‘…Back Debate’, you question whether it wouldn’t be better to match BScott with a drafted RB instead of Green-Ellis and Bush who had ypc below Benson’s. I agree, but also warn that Benson had a better run blocking line. But you have a strong point. Do we want to pay them Benson money for Benson stats? IMO Benson is, even at his age, on a different level than those guys. But your comments assume that we are going to only feature 2 backs and stock 3 on the roster. I think Gruden is talking a true committee instead of a duo. Which means stocking 4 RBs on the 53 man roster and featuring 3. If you look at it like that then we can keep Leonard and BScott, sign a RB in free agency and draft a RB. But honestly you could counter with a better one and suggest that simply drafting 2 RBs in this deep RB draft would be the best move then. To be honest I don’t understand Green-Ellis, because he is a terrible pass catcher…only 26 receptions in 53 career games. Bush on the other hand would be a good signing to me, because he’ll provide power running and he had 37 catches at 11.3 ypc last season.

43. By mwindle1973 on Mar 20, 2012 | Reply

In the same article previously referenced you also commented on the CB situation. We now have 5, are expected to draft one and you say we are probably about done. I think we will sign one more. And I’m going on the record to say we may pass on a CB in the draft this year, due to not matching up with one of value when we pick. I will stress the words “may pass on a CB”. We may pick one with #17. But the way the roster is starting to shape up points to a DT or DE @ 17. I said earlier in the year I thought we would sign a CB in the 3.5-4M range in free agency. I also said we would sign one more, either one of our UFAs or an at large one. We seem to be pursuing just that. I also suggested if we signed 2 in FA and drafted one that we will cut either Clements or Crocker. And I really think it could be Clements. I know you’ve said already it won’t happen. But we can save 4.3M on this years cap hit by cutting him vs 1.5M saved by cutting Crocker. You said yourself if we draft another CB that’s 6. If we sign one too that’s 7 and one has to go. In fact one S would have to go as well. So both could be cut if we needed/wanted to clear cap space. Rivers (save 1.9M) & Geathers (save 4.2M) could be cut too but it’s very doubtful. All 4 are on the last year of their deals and are the only players that offer any significant savings. Do you still think it’s out of the question that Clements could be cut?

44. By mwindle1973 on Mar 21, 2012 | Reply

With your ear so low to ground, I thought you might have heard some rumblings about the status of Sims & Collins. Haven’t heard anything on them. Leading up to free agency there was plenty of speculation from multiple sources that these 2 could be signed as starters for other teams. Yet there has been zero info about them talking to any teams, including us. Do you think that’s a good sign for us, or just an indication that a run on their respective positions just hasn’t started yet? Aside from Reggie Nelson, Collins & Sims were the guys I thought we should next try to keep. But only if we could get them in the 2M-3M range. They aren’t starters but they could jump right in and be starters without us missing a thing. The 2 best backups on our roster IMO. Also there a 5 other names we haven’t heard yet. Andre Caldwell, Dennis Roland, Gibril Wilson, Brandon Johnson & Bo Scaife. Any news on them?