Catchy stocks; Peyton welcomes Caldwell

Posted by hobsonschoice1 on March 21, 2012 – 8:14 pm

If the Bengals are indeed in the market for a wide receiver in next month’s draft at No. 17 or No. 21, they look to have another first-round option after Baylor’s Kendall Wright  ran a 4.3-second 40-yard dash at his pro workout Wednesday in Waco, Texas.

Wright fell over the side last month at the scouting combine when he ran 4.61 seconds, which mystified teams because it didn’t match how fast he played on tape.

Now Wright seems all right. NFL Network’s Mike Mayock said on the air he’d be stunned now if Wright fell out of the top 20 and ESPN’s Todd McShay said on the ESPN Chicago blog that the 40 “helps you kind of solidify the fact he’s one of the top two or three receivers in the draft.”

NFL.com’s Gil Brandt observed on his blog after he watched Wright catch balls from Heisman Trophy winner Robert Griffin III, “Everybody ‘oohed and ahhed’ at some (of) the catches that Kendall Wright made. The thing about him is, you can’t throw the ball over his head on deep routes. But he’s a very, very athletic guy who’s very strong.”

The Bears are apparently all over Wright and there were tweets Wednesday saying he won’t get past Chicago at No. 19. In the Bengals.com Media Mock Draft held this past weekend, the Bears took Notre Dame wide receiver Michael Floyd and Wright was still on the board for the Bengals.

Speaking of receivers, former Bengal Andre Caldwell also helped his stock Wednesday when he became the first receiver recruited to Hall of Famer Peyton Manning’s stable in Denver with a two-year deal. Caldwell was never really right last season after a groin injury in training camp and the additions of slot receivers Jordan Shipley, Andrew Hawkins and Ryan Whalen made him expendable.

He’s a relliable and smart player, a good route-runner and a  good blocker. He  caught 124 balls in four years, but will always be remembered for two he caught within 21 days from Carson Palmer; TDs in the last minute to beat Pittsburgh and Baltimore to help the ’09 AFC North sweep possible. And Caldwell’s five-yard TD catch with 10:52 left in Tennessee last year brought the Bengals from behind in the win that ended up putting them in the playoffs.

Tags: , , , , , ,

25 Responses to “Catchy stocks; Peyton welcomes Caldwell”

1. By theredbengal on Mar 21, 2012 | Reply

I was initially against taking another WR in the 1st round for this year. But once Manningham, Meachem and Colston were signed, and the trend of recent Bengal free agent WR signings (Coles/Bryant) didn’t pan out, I’m definitely on board with taking one in the 1st round. The last 2 WR’s taken high in the draft have made immediate contributions to the team their first years (Green in ’11, Shipley in ’10). That doesn’t mean it’s a guarantee that a Kendall Wright or Micheal Floyd would be instant impact players, but I think where the Bengals are right now, it would be their best option.

2. By mwindle1973 on Mar 22, 2012 | Reply

If Wright is gone by 21, does that mean Floyd is still there? WR is definitely a position we could get decent value at 21. On another note. I usually agree with Whitworth and disagree with Goodell, but not this time. Whitworth is wrong. Goodell handled this perfect and I think what Whit fears is 4, 8, 12 & 16 game suspensions for players. But that’s how it should be. I agree with Crocker that this is inherently wrong. I think the punishments fit the crime. If they wanted lesser punishment they should’ve stopped the first time the NFL inquired about the program. They lied, covered it up, and refused to stop doing it. I think Goodell needed to set a strong precedent that this is a no tolerance issue, and it should be.

3. By mac3333 on Mar 22, 2012 | Reply

If Wright and Floyd are both still on the board and we are looking to take a WR who do you see the staff choosing?

4. By biglur09 on Mar 22, 2012 | Reply

What about alshon jeffery he is a beast and bigger and in a better conference than mr wright

5. By shamby24 on Mar 22, 2012 | Reply

NO WAY we take a WR in the first round, we have other needs and the talent at WR this year isnt as deep as it usually is…other than blacmon there is no WR first round worthy…We should go OG/OT with #17, and CB at #21 or vice versa…2nd rd first pick RB and 2nd pick WR

6. By tepidfan31 on Mar 23, 2012 | Reply

Can someone tell me why we signed Derrick Harvey? He was a first round, 8th pick BUST for the Jags, then did absolutely nothing last year for the Broncos. I suppose it is that he is alive and came very cheap. Stupid, what will he do for us, but be on the inactive list, like at Denver.

7. By mwindle1973 on Mar 23, 2012 | Reply

@Hobson: Back at the end of the season it was projected we would receive a 3rd round compensatory pick this year. Now there are projections of no pick at all. Or possibly a 7th rounder. I guess that you have to lose more qualifying players than you gained qualifying players to get a pick. If you lost and gained equally then you can get no higher than a 7th rounder. What’s not disputed…we lost JJoe and Mathis who both qualify, and we gained Howard and Lawson who both qualify. What’s disputed…we lost Ndukwe, but some feel he signed to late in the season to qualify. We gained Jean-Gilles but even though he was released before opening day, he still qualifies. So these all paint scenarios ranging from a 3rd round comp to nothing. Confusing situation huh? Jean-Gilles was released by us during the preseason, then signed by the Panthers and released hours before their opening game and was never signed by another team. So he was never on a game day roster, active or inactive in 2011. Ndukwe was signed by the Raiders in week 7 and played in the Raider’s 7th & 8th games before injuring his ankle and being waived. Plus I have left out the possibility that the speculators could be forgetting players we lost and signed. I can’t remember any that would qualify. Plus we all have to consider that nobody knows for sure how the NFL decides the picks. With them due out in a week or so, do you have a take on this issue or a prediction?

8. By tepidfan31 on Mar 24, 2012 | Reply

Shamby, you’re right on!

9. By mwindle1973 on Mar 24, 2012 | Reply

This is a link to the greatest single document I have ever read supporting Ken Anderson’s HOF selection. It’s a lengthy read. But I think it makes a clear case that not only does he belong in the HOF. But using a number of comparisons, indicators, stats, etc, and pitting him against the 23 post WWII HOF QBs, he measures in the middle of the pack. Therefore being in the HOF should not be a question. When reading there case I no longer view Anderson as a player on the fringe who should be in. He clearly is amongst the top 15 QBs of all time, and it’s unthinkable he wasn’t in by 1994.

10. By mwindle1973 on Mar 25, 2012 | Reply

I couldn’t be happier with our activity in free agency. I feel like we’ve made all the right moves to this point. All the signings to this point have been value deals. And the guys we let someone else sign, were guys whose market value was way above their performance value. I’m sure we have some more signings to come. They way we have approached it we go into the draft with a maximum flexibility. Which is exactly what this draft calls for. It will prevent reaching for a need and let us go in looking at several positions instead of 1 or 2.

11. By mwindle1973 on Mar 25, 2012 | Reply

@biglur09: I assume you are talking about Jeffrey being bigger than Wright. Floyd combine measurements were 6′ 2 5/8th” and 220. Jeffrey measured 6’2 7/8th” (he was listed in college at 6’4″-5″) and 216, losing 15 lbs from his playing weight his Sr. year. We’ve yet to see his 40 time but it’s expected to be in 4.5 range. FLoyd was in the 4.4′s. But Jeffrey has huge hands! 10.3″. He also is considered to have great hands. 40 time doesn’t bother me because Jerry Rice ran a 4.71 at the combine and he was never caught from behind in his life. Some guys lose speed when they put pads on, some guys don’t lose any, and guys like Rice get faster with the pads on! Anyway the only knocks on Jeffrey are they are afraid him losing 15 lbs to be faster will effect his strength, or he will be too slow if he put s the lbs back on. He’s not a great route runner also. I believe you are right though. He has the most upside of any WR in the draft. It could take 2-3 years but he could be an elite WR. Problem is he’s projecting around pick 30-35 right now. Maybe his stock will rise by draft time. Or I keep hoping we can trade that 21st pick and move down.

12. By mwindle1973 on Mar 28, 2012 | Reply

@Hobson: In Mike Mayock’s most recent rankings of the top 5 prospects at each position now has Stephen Gilmore as the #2 CB. With Hall, Clements, Allen, Jones, Ghee & Murray already on the roster & Lewis just saying he hoped we signed Terrance Newman soon at the owner’s meetings, do you think we will still consider a CB @17? I know you would, and I know I would, but will the Bengals? That would be 8 CBs. I know I speculated on possible cuts of guys like Clements, but only if we needed the cap space, and it’s looking like we won’t. So drafting a CB would involve likely parting ways with Ghee & Murray, and going with 6 CBS/4 Ss. Do you think that CB @17 is still on the table if Newman is signed?

13. By mwindle1973 on Mar 29, 2012 | Reply

Trent Richardson ran a 4.45 40 at his Pro Day today. Looks like the knee surgery went pretty well. I think that pretty much ensures that he will go in the top 10…probably top 5. Mark Barron – S, ran a 4.53, but he’s at about 80%, recovering from a hernia surgery. He is going to be one of those players that could be sitting there at 17 & 21, and will be ready to come off the board. Assuming that Lawson re-signs, then there are only 2 position groups where we lost players that we haven’t replaced yet, WR & S. At S we lost Wilson, who was the #3 last year. I’m convinced Mays is now the #3, he practically was by the end of the season. But Crocker is the ?. Are his legs getting old, or was it just his knee, or the CB injuries, that made his performance suffer in the last 6-8 games. We have Mays & Sands at S, and Binns, Whalen, Tate & Hazelton at WR. Usually I would say it’s just smoke n’ mirrors. But in this case it’s hard to tell. Lewis could mean it. He could be trying to cover up our intentions to draft another WR. Free agency hasn’t let us know much more about who we might draft in the 1st round.

14. By mwindle1973 on Mar 29, 2012 | Reply

Seen that Fanene was the last player left from the tragedy prone Bengals 2005 draft class. Our 1st, 2nd & 3rd round picks were LBs Pollack & Thurman & WR Chris Henry. Pollack & Thurman would never play another NFL season after ’05. Henry met his tragic demise while trying to “run to the daylight,” as Mike Brown so poignantly stated the day of Henry death. 4th round brought us C Eric Ghiaciuc. He started 42 games for us over 4 years, but was replaced by Kyle Cook. He stayed in the league until 2010, but never played another snap after leaving the Bengals. The 5th round pick Adam Kieft, a very promising yet raw talent at OT, spent 4 years nursing injuries, and never took an NFL snap. The 6th round brought us the gem Tab Perry, WR/H back/KR/PR. He signed with Miami in ’08 and tore his achilles in camp and never played again. The 7th round pick was Fanene, a guy who had his share of injuries, and sometimes had conditioning issues earlier on and as late as this past offseason. But he fought his way to a productive role, and is now a successful NFL DT. Go figure, it looked like Henry, Pollack, Thurman & Perry were 10 starters and had just about finished Lewis’ foundation for a perennial playoff team. I still say if you ever wondered what happened between 06-08 that kept us from following up on the promise of 05, it was that cursed draft.

15. By tepidfan31 on Apr 1, 2012 | Reply

By the way, it appears that Rivers doesn’t have a starting spot this year. I would like to know who were the stupid scouts, coaches, or admin, who pushed for and made the decision to pick him over the all-pro Mayo? Of course, I’ll never know.

16. By mwindle1973 on Apr 2, 2012 | Reply

@Tepid: Yeah it seems like that was a a bad pick in hindsight. Mayo was projected as a 3-4 ILB so I think that’s why we picked Rivers. I think we should’ve have bucked conventional wisdom and went with a CB in the 1st round for the 3rd straight year with Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie. Rivers can still fight for a job, but I think they see him filling the Brandon Johnson role. Which is an important one. But we are overstocked at LB with 10 and only 3 will be eligible for the PS. So one will have to be cut. It could be Rivers. We also have an option to pick him up next year at 2M if he stays. We wanted an outside LB that year though, that’s one of the problems with going into the draft locked in to one position in a particular round. I’m getting the idea that this year we will be a lot more flexible and are going to pick from a pool of players, and go for the best combination of need and value. I think we trade down if it’s there. And we could trade up at little cost 3-5 spots, or as far as #4 if we want to give up the 1st round picks but we won’t. But we have a golden opportunity here. We have the 2 1st rounders, 3 picks in the top 53, 5 in the top 116, our 7th player comes off the board at 166 & all 8 picks are in the top 191. Normally we are picking our 3rd player in the mid 80s and our 7th player in the 230s. Hopefully we will continue the success of the last 2 drafts and pick wisely.

17. By mwindle1973 on Apr 3, 2012 | Reply

Official NFL salary cap numbers came out yesterday. We now have 20.5M remaining in cap space. We have the most out of all 32 teams right now. Hobson says we always leave 7M for the rookie pool, but I’m wondering with the new rookie wage scale in effect for this draft, that number could shrink by 1-2M. But for now we’ll call it 7M + 4-5M injury pad equals = 12M at the most. That leaves us with approx. 8.5M to finish the roster off or do some front loaded re-signings. We are still light at TE and I could see us still signing 2-3 of our UFAs and Terrence Newman. And that will take most of the cap space left. At that point we could be done for the year. But we could also make some tough choices to cut out cap space so we could front load some new deals for our players. The biggest challenge in my mind to this organization over the next 3 seasons, is finding a way to keep our young players as new deals become due and stay under the cap. THis could be the year we put together our first back-to-back winning seasons since 1981-82. We also did it in 72-73 & then in 75-77. In fact the period from 72-77 the team was 54-30, .643. We had this chance in 89, 91, 06 & 10 and didn’t succeed. But the stability of the organization, coaching staff & roster right now make me believe it is very likely we break the 30 year drought.

18. By mwindle1973 on Apr 4, 2012 | Reply

I like the new Nike jerseys. Much smarter design for the players. I thought maybe I’ll finally hang up that old Chad Johnson 85 I bought 8 years ago. But then I found out Nike, who notoriously uses Asian & Indochinese child labor to produce their products (as if Reebok doesn’t) will be raising the price of a replica by $15-$20 and calling it a Game Day jersey. So then I thought I’m going to be paying $100+ for jerseys the rest of my life. Then I thought about poor Reebok and all those extra jerseys they got stuck with. And sure enough they are pedaling Andy Dalton 14s and AJ Greens 9s for $60. Downgrade to a BScott or Andre Smith for $50. Never got that classic Ochocinco 85, Palmer 9, or Owens 81 for $30. You never know there may be a reunion someday. $70 was bad enough then came $80, then $85 during the lockout of all times, now $100! But Nike paid the NFL $1.1B for 5 years so it’s only going to get worse in the future. I’ll stick with my thermal lined throwback hoodie with the classic logo and lettering.

19. By mwindle1973 on Apr 4, 2012 | Reply

I like Goodberry, I read his stuff a lot. I agree with his assessment of the team and the conference for the most part. But I take issue with 2 things. The idea was presented that in today’s NFL you have to have a QB to win a championship. I’m just tired of hearing it, columnist both amateur and professional overuse this partial fib they keep telling. It’s true, but the catch is it’s always been true. I mean look at your early Super Bowl champs…Starr, Namath, Dawson, Unitas, Griese, Staubach, Bradshaw. I mean you’ve always had a non-greats winning one every now and again. Rypien, Hostetler, Brad Johnson, Dilfer. The second thing I see that’s wrong is the mock example. No way we take a LB in the first round, unless he’s a pass rusher (ala Von Miller) who can play the SAM like Pollock & Boulware. But no way we draft an inside LB. But Goodberry does know his draft prospects and such. I consider him an expert. And I agree we are in a position here to make a nucleus that can stay together for 5+ years. But it also makes this draft a hard one. We can build a possible dynasty with all the right picks. But a bad draft would send us back to fat trimming mode. I have faith in Mike Brown. I always have for some reason, but in the past have expected him to drop the ball. Now I have faith he has the train rolling on the right track, and the right people in the right places to keep it on that track.

20. By mwindle1973 on Apr 5, 2012 | Reply

Just heard this for the first time. Audio from a D meeting before the Saints-49ers game in January. We finally hear what Williams was saying to his players. It’s way worse than I envisioned! THis was played off as a payer led thing, that he overseen. It sure sounds like the players had no choice and they were heavily pressured to play in this way. He specifically instructs them to take out Crabtree’s ACL. To go to the head and roll ankles in the pile. HE instructs them to hit WR Kyle Williams, who suffered a concussion the week before, in the head in the first drive or two. And continually tells them “we will not apologize for the way we have to play here”. I really think a lifetime ban for Williams is called for. With a possible reinstatement in 3-5 years. I really think the SUper Bowl victory should remain in the NFL record. But the record should not reflect a championship for the team. I’m sure every single player and member of the organization knew what was happening. IT’s possible that the owner and a few front office people knew nothing. But is it? Listen for yourself how deeply ingrained the culture of injury before defense was engrained. THe whole culture revolved around the belief that this was the only way they could produce as a D. That without the fear of their opponent they had nothing. Did they ever stop to think that this same fear might lead a head coach or two to make formal complaint with the league office over the matter?

21. By mwindle1973 on Apr 5, 2012 | Reply

Forgot to include the link to the audio…

22. By mwindle1973 on Apr 5, 2012 | Reply

THe guest columnist are great, hope we do it some more. I’ve read Ryan Lownes before. Have to point out that in his review of OGs he didn’t include Gordy Glenn. I’m not sure why, but there seems to be an argument over whether he’s a OT or OG. I think the argument can be settled in the fact he projects at 5 or below as a tackle, as a G he’s #2 by most accounts. To me that says he makes a better G than a OT. Plus only a minority of mocksters consider him a OT prospect. Ultimately the team decides, and I’m pretty sure the Bengals will consider him a OG. There are concerns that he is a “tweener” and he won’t excel at either position. But to me if your looking for that prototypical Paul Alexander lineman, Glenn is your guy. And I think there’s a big chance we take him. Mainly because he can backup RT and play Lg & RG. But also because he is very similar to Bobbie Williams in size, yet he’s more athletic, and a little faster. I do know this, we can discuss it until draft day and I don’t think it will ever be clear who we are going to pick. Even if you guess the position, can you guess the player? Like at CB if Kirkpatrick & Gilmore are available, who do they take? One things for sure, there is depth in this draft at a few positions. DT, OG, RB & WR all have quality prospects into the late rounds. And I think for the first time in a long time other teams really have no idea where we are going with our pick, which is a good thing.

23. By mwindle1973 on Apr 7, 2012 | Reply

Sad to see Crocker go, he was a huge part of turning this D around. But I have to say you could see it was a possibility just looking at the roster/contracts. He is one of 4 players with a salary of about 2M+ that were receiving little or no roster bonus. Meaning you can cut them and all or most of the salary doesn’t count against the cap. Surprised we signed another G though. Also have seen reports that Amobi Okoye (DT) is scheduled for a visit Sunday & Monday. I have to say I’m totally lost on who we will draft. We’ve filled so many holes in free agency it’s hard to pin down the draft.

24. By mwindle1973 on Apr 7, 2012 | Reply

Great article by Kirkendall! I don’t make a habit of frequenting Cincy Jungle too much anymore maybe I’ll get back that way more. I got burned after the 08 & 10 seasons with a lot of ill considered opinions about what the team needed or didn’t. Just a little more than a year ago they would’ve told you we made a mistake keeping Lewis. That Gruden was an AFL throwaway and a typical cheap Brown hiring. That Brown promised Lewis more power when re-signing him only to not give the power up. That he was ruining the team by not trading Palmer while we still could. In fairness the mass media beat these some of these ideas into our heads as well. Now of course we know Lewis deserved the contract and the power and got both. That Gruden was exactly what Lewis said he would be…Jon Gruden with a better personality and more flexibility in play calling. He didn’t tell us he’d be a head coaching candidate in a year though. We found out Brown indeed knew exactly what he was doing with regard to Palmer and several other decisions. And if Taylor Mays remains a productive backup, let alone starts it makes Brown & Lewis look like geniuses, and makes Harbaugh look like an idiot. It was a good year for Brown in trades. He got Mays for a 7th rounder, picked up a 1st and 2nd for Palmer, and a 5th for Ocho. Based on each players production and the picks exchanged I think Brown pulled off one of the most lopsided trifectas in NFL history. Back to the point though…despite all this negativity, Kirkendall remained pretty much open minded, and not so biased in his writings. For example being more for the Lewis rehiring.

25. By mwindle1973 on Apr 11, 2012 | Reply

Great that we signed Newman and Roland. I know some fans I’ve talked to aren’t terribly enthused about the free agent signings. I think we’ve upgraded the roster significantly. It may not be evident right now, but we’ve added some needed vets. Especially in the secondary. We put our self in a position to handle injuries. Also good to see us shopping Rivers. I honestly believe he may have trouble making the roster. He makes to much to be the 6th LB. I have commented and here and discussed with many friends the possibility of us cutting ties with Clements, Crocker, Rivers & Geathers. I have been rebuked every time like I’m nuts. So far Crocker is gone and Rivers is being shopped. Geathers & Clements will not be cut until any probable replacement is on the roster and practiced enough to know they can replace them. So it may never happen. And I was even a little surprised by Crocker and the attempt to trade Rivers, because they are aggressive moves that I wasn’t sure Brown & Lewis were ready to make. But they must feel sure enough about what they are trying to do, to go ahead and follow the next logical step, and trust the process. I’ll give them this, they are on a heck of a roll. They are just about bowling 300.