Crocker doubtful for Texans

Posted by bengalsweb on January 4, 2013 – 1:34 pm

crocker121021-1_440

It looks like the Bengals will be without the services of safety Chris Crocker in Saturday’s AFC Wild Card game in Houston against the Texans. Crocker (thigh) was listed as doubtful in Friday’s injury report.

Other than cornerback Jason Allen (hamstring), who was listed as questionable, everyone else put in full practices on Friday and are probable, including defensive end Wallace Gilberry (illness), running back BenJarvus Green-Ellis (hamstring), cornerback Leon Hall (non-injury related), safety Taylor Mays (hamstring), cornerback Terence Newman (groin) and linebacker Dan Skuta (thigh).

Tags: ,

11 Responses to “Crocker doubtful for Texans”

1. By mwindle1973 on Jan 4, 2013 | Reply

Not the best piece of news to be hearing. I mean I guess he could play. His past tells us he can and will play hurt, but he’s not the same player. I’m not sure where they stand with Taylor Mays, but Clements got the last start when Crocker was injured. He’s capable, and he’s definitely grown more physical and understood his role at S as the season has progressed. But he’s had some issues playing at S. Part of the answer is to stop the run with 7 and don’t expose Clements to defending the run in the box. Also create pressure on the QB by rushing only 4 to 5 guys, and leave Clements in coverage rolls he’s comfortable with. With everyone else providing such strong coverage (including the LBs), this should help roll some coverages, etc. and put Clements in good situations for him.

2. By mwindle1973 on Jan 5, 2013 | Reply

I can’t believe we didn’t hear this stat more all week, but it really didn’t grab traction until yesterday when ESPN tweeted it. We are 0-5 in road playoff games. When Marvin Lewis says these things have no bearing on the team, he’s not joking. These type stats don’t really tell you anything. Examine when the losses occurred…1970, 1973, 1975, 1990 & 2011. That’s 4 QBs & 3 head coaches, spanning 5 decades. Reality is it’s hard to win on the road in the playoffs. It’s hard to win on the road period. But we’ve done it 6 out of 8 tries this year. So all this team has to do is win 1 more road game this season. What happened in seasons past is irrelevant. Here’s some nice stats to here 4 of the last 7 Super Bowl winners (including the last 2) have been 4 seeds or lower, with records of 11-5 or worse. Pittsburgh in 2005 were the 6th seed at 11-5, like us they were 6-2 on the road. Also ranked 4th in D. Giants in 2007 were the 5th seed at 10-6, like us they had 6 road wins. Also ranked 7th in D. Packers in 2010 were the 6th seed at 10-6, like us they sat in doubt at 8-6 before winning their way in. Also ranked 5th Giants 2011 were the 4th seed at 9-7, like us they had a 4 game losing streak during the season. They were 5-3 on the road. Although only ranking 27th in D, in the last 2 games plus the 4 post season games a resurgent D gave up only 15 pts p/game. By my standards sounds like were a lock for a ring this year right? But these stats are as meaningless as all the negative ones we hear all the time. We may lose today, but I’m telling you any team with a stifling D like ours, and a fighter’s mentality on offense like we have can’t just be sat aside. I think we can win even if the game gets ugly. We showed already this season we can win in a number of ways.

3. By mwindle1973 on Jan 5, 2013 | Reply

Early in the week I thought this would be another sloberknocker like the PIT game. One where limit AJ and stuff the run, and were forced to win ugly. Win with the punter and kickers foot. But Michael Irvin has worn on me with his commentary through the week. He really thinks AJ is going to have a big day. And he thinks Baby Hawk will make enough plays to allow AJ’s big day to happen. Warren Sapp thinks that even if they handle Geno, then Michael Johnson will get them. He doesn’t think they can handle the Dline. I think there are 2 possible scenarios. My mind says there won’t be but about 30 total points scored and we win in a slopfest. My heart says that we rise to our best and take this by double digits, by getting out in front early and dominating on D. Either way I’m proud of what the team has accomplished this season. We have plenty of good draft picks again, and these guys will just mature another year again. With pretty good cap situation, the future looks brighter than it has in 25 years. But I really feel we can win this game. We were struggling bad coming into this game last year. That’s just not the case this time.

4. By mwindle1973 on Jan 6, 2013 | Reply

Well it’s official…I’m rooting for Ray Lewis and the Ravens now. I wanted to put into perspective just how good Geno Atkins is. Just ran across some stats on Pro Football Reference. They have a ranking of the the most sacks by a DT in a single season. It dates from 1982 (when sacks became an official stat) through the current season. Atkins’ 13.5 rank 15th on that list. To put it in perspective in the last 5 years the next closest performance was the Lions Suh in 2010 who ranked 66th. The next guy down the list? ALbert Haynesworth ranked 97th in 2008. THis list is dominated by guys that played from the mid-80s- the early 00’s. In fact 23 of the top 24 were done in 2000 or before. All in all only 67 men have recorded 10 or more sacks at DT in a single season. Geno is 1 of 2 guys to do it in the last 5 years. 1 of 6 to do it in the last 10 years. He had the most sacks by a DT since 2000. What makes this more impressive is of the 14 guys ranked above Geno there only 4 true DTs, the other 10 are DE’s that moved inside on pass downs. Such as Reggie White with the Eagles & John Randle.

5. By tepidfan31 on Jan 6, 2013 | Reply

A few observations:from “what do I know”.
    Also on Hoard

Our OL has to improve dramatically; when we ran, their front seven made the tackles 90% of the time at 2.1 yd per rush; only twice (10% of the time) did we get to the DB level, which means our OL and TE did not run block well at all; it wasn’t like the safetys making the tackles.

Our OL did not block well against their pass rush, Dalton was sacked twice, and had to scramble at least 5 other times. Further, Dalton was under pressure over 80% of the time, hardly allowing him the time to go to the second or third receiving option.

Gruden’s or our receiver routes were well covered most of the time; are we prddictable? They had tight coverage on almost ever pass Dalton threw. When you look at the great QBs like Manning, Brady, etc., they always seem to have receivers open. Why don’t we? Yes a few drops, but I also think that Gruden has got to get his act together.

Not absolving Dalton; over the last several weeks he has not been accurate, and has been throwing into tight coverage, never seems to consider other options. But Andy, there is no excuse missing Green for the late TD. However, isn’t it also on the pressure, not giving him time for any options? Regardless, both Dalton and the entire offense must improve dramatically to be considered a factor in the playoffs.

Our front 7, made tackles against their run 75% of the time, allowing about 2.7 yds per rush; however 25% of their runs reached the DB level, allowing about 10 yds per run. You can’t have that many. And, our front 4 had no pass rush at all against a few inferior linemen; which was really surprising. Were they obsessed with stopping the run, or what?

On passing situations Maualuga should not be in there; he cannot cover the TEs or backs; although how many LBs can! Maybe it should be another DB. I seem to recall that Lawson made a tackle. And, why were our DBs playing so soft, especially since Staub rarely goes deep?

We claim to have the talent on both sides of the ball, now we seem to say, “we do, but it’s youth”. Really, after 17 games?

“Houston, we have problems”, including our coaches.

6. By mwindle1973 on Jan 8, 2013 | Reply

“We put it on tape”….I just love that comment! And I agree Crocker should at the very least be in camp competing for a job. He just had the best season of his career, and he should have the opportunity. I remember Lewis saying when he was cut that he might be back later in the season. Getting healthy was the best thing for him. With a short season, I think he will be fresh again next year. But I also think the team will address the position. They fill roster positions, as players become available, and as priority dictates. Last year, we had gobs of competition at WR, CB, DLine & Oline, and LB was getting there. Hopefully we can get close to the point next season where there’s that kind of competition at every position.

7. By bengalpirate on Jan 9, 2013 | Reply

Quite honestly, it often takes awhile to get over Bengals’ losses, but even more so when it is a critical game and one that they could have won. At least this year, Houston didn’t blow us out. I take solace in the hope that this year is potentially another building block towards a season with playoff win(s)and hope for a return to the Super Bowl. It is in the playoffs where you see how much real progress has been made. If you go back to 1968, correct me if I’m wrong, you see that we did not win a playoff game until 1981. In a semi parallel world, the Reds struggled multiple times in the 70’s before finally winning a World Series in 1975. Hope springs eternal that the Bengals will continue to improve by keeping key players and adding missing pieces to the team puzzle and keep winning division, or Wild Card spots and finally win a playoff game. Overall, a good season for the team and fans. On another note, pitchers and catchers report to Goodyear on February 12th.

8. By bengalpirate on Jan 9, 2013 | Reply

@Windy, sorry dude, but I have to differ with you on rooting for the Ravens. I just can’t do that myself, especially for other teams in the division. My loyalty pretty much stays with one team in my sports world, but that’s just me. Go Bengals, Bucks, Reds, Bearcats, etc, etc. Sorry man, can’t root for Ravens, Browns. Steelers. Wolverines, or Indians. :-)

9. By mwindle1973 on Jan 10, 2013 | Reply

@pirate…that’s funny…we can agree on that team up North (I don’t usually speak the name out loud!). But I pretty much root in this order. Bengal fan since the age of 6 always will be. Next I root for the Browns. Then the Ravens. Then the Pats. It’s a confusing list I know. It’s all based on individuals for the most part. The Browns because they are also in Ohio, and my favorite figure in all of sports history is Paul Brown. The first dynasty in NFL history (and perhaps the greatest) was the Paul Brown/Otto Graham Browns. There dynasty and the Boston Celtics are the two greatest in any sports in my opinion. The Ravens because I’m a huge fan of D. And in my opinion the 2000 Ravens, along with the 72 Dolphins and 85 Bears are the greatest Ds ever. And I think Ray Lewis belongs right up there with Butkus and Nitschke as the best MLBs ever. In fact he may the best period. BUt don’t underestimate Marvin Lewis in that D. THey were # 2 in yds allowed in 99, 00 & 01. Then Marv went to the Redskins and the Ravens fell to #22. And they didn’t lose talent. It was the same D with a different DC. The Pats, because I like the great coaches a lot too, and to me Belichick is the greatest coach since Bill Walsh. What he does up there from year to year is just amazing to watch. I will be torn this year, because I also like Peyton Manning a lot too. I will never forget seeing him play this year @ PBS. That was the one game this year where I felt we just got beat by a better team. I thought the D played great and he just shredded us anyway.

10. By mwindle1973 on Jan 10, 2013 | Reply

@pirate..I agree with your comments about the team’s progress. We did keep it close, and I think Houston is pretty lucky to have escaped with a win. If Andy’s deep ball is on that day, even as sloppy as we played, we would’ve won by 2 scores. Now what direction will they go in the draft and free agency? I’m hoping we can retain just about everyone, and then have another great draft. I’m torn to whether I feel we should boost the O early in the draft, or finish the D. Or perhaps take what there? IDK but in the end I believe in Lewis’ philosophy that you build a championship roster by increasing depth and competition each year. And also by procuring and developing your own talent. There were always injuries, salary cap issues, etc, preventing that. But this year will be the 3rd straight year that forward movement in that direction can be made. As long as they continue to make smart decisions in free agency, the draft and in concerns to the cap. Another team that fits your scenario is the 81 49ers, nobody seen that coming, they were 2-14, 2-14 & 6-10 in the 3 seasons before that 13-3 Super Bowl championship team. It took awhile to shake the loss off, but I’m pretty excited about where this team is going. But also anxious to find out if we are losing Zim and/or Gruden. Hopefully they’ll be here one more year.

11. By mwindle1973 on Jan 11, 2013 | Reply

I just watched an episode of A Football Life the other day about Tim Tebow. I know this has nothing to do with Bengaldom. But this relates because we have a guy at QB who being questioned as to whether he has what it takes, even though he’s way ahead of schedule for a 2nd year QB, and he has a winning record. But how did the guy go all season and not take get a shot? Until he proves he can’t win he should get a shot. Steve Young says Tebow can be a great passer with work on his technique. That the tools are there. instead he spent the season as the punters personal protector!?! With Dalton right now…questions are actually being asked by the media like, “Is the organization committed to him?” Well that’s an easy answer….he’s 18-13 as a starter, has 47 TDs vs 29 ints, 5 4th qtr comebacks and 7 game winning drives…good QBs don’t grow on trees…Andy is the guy.