Posted by hobsonschoice1 on March 14, 2013 – 10:29 am

peko130120_440

Offseason workouts don’t start for another month but three Bengals are headed to Paul Brown Stadium on Thursday to work the phones at 2:30 p.m. to thank Bengals season-ticket holders for renewing. Defensive tackle Domata Peko and left tackle Andrew Whitworth, the team’s de facto captains, along with cornerback Dre Kirkpatrick, one of last season’s first-round draft picks, plan to make the thank you calls.

Tags: , ,

11 Responses to “Thank you notes”

1. By donalddayton on Mar 14, 2013 | Reply

Cincinnati has a great group of fine young men. I think they get a bad rap from players in the past making bad choices. As a matter of fact both Geno Atkins & Carlos Dunlap have replied back to me on Twitter, and I no that might not mean much to some people but it made my day! I still brag em up for it. Coach Lewis has put together a hell of a team and I’d personally want to think every Bengal and coach for giving the City of Cincinnati and their fans a sense of pride!
    #Whodey

2. By mwindle1973 on Mar 16, 2013 | Reply

You know something that’s been lost in the criticism of the Bengals playoff losses is that we just made the playoffs 3 out of 4 years for the first time in franchise history. This season we will go for our 3rd straight winning season since the first and only time we did it previously from 1975-77. It was part of the most stable time of the franchise’s history from 1970-77 when we had 6 winning seasons out of 8 and only 1 losing season. And I believe we are headed for the same stability now. That period was built on good drafts and a great coaching staff, which is how this one has been put together.

3. By mwindle1973 on Mar 17, 2013 | Reply

I like Marvin Lewis’ rebuke of anyone suggestion we should be wasting money on big money free agents who may or may not work out. The franchise has a plan and I’m proud they are staying the course. We didn’t get this far with headline breaking signings and it isn’t going to help now. Thanks you Marvin for taking on the “uneducated” members of the media like Paul Daugherty. It’s time to fight back and quit letting them poison the public perception with this BS, and that’s what he’s finally done. IMO MIke Brown as a GM/owner is operating on a level equal to the elite executives in the league like Ozzie Newsome and Bill Belichick

4. By tigerstripes32 on Mar 18, 2013 | Reply

I agree with mwindle1973 except that i think that Marvin or Katie gets more of the credit.Big Bengals fan from Lima , Ohio

5. By mwindle1973 on Mar 18, 2013 | Reply

@tigerstripes32….you have a great point…without Marvin and Katie this isn’t even possible. They have gotten Mike to adjust some of his views and tactics, etc.

6. By tepidfan31 on Mar 21, 2013 | Reply

i realize that it’s tough, but sign Smith, Newman, and Jones, so that we can improve through the draft. Otherwise we are just hoping that those drafted can be good replacements for them. The problem is that we must improve with new blood, if we hope to compete. Without them, we simply will rely on several players on the current roster to be better than last year, which wasn’t good enough.

7. By mwindle1973 on Mar 21, 2013 | Reply

Glad to see Adam Jones back, not only is he important to the team. But I just have pulled for this guy for so long, and now he’s found his way, I didn’t want to see him go to another team. So far so good, now if we can just nail down Smith and Newman. Then we can see where it goes from there. I’m sure the team would like to kick the tires on some value free agents, to replace some of the other free agents. Although they may end up not signing anyone, I’ll bet they keep looking at RBs, Ss, and maybe other spots. THen onto the draft.

8. By mwindle1973 on Mar 22, 2013 | Reply

I’m really beginning to wonder if the Smith deal will get done. If he is still wanting 9M a year, I not sure we should do it. One great season out of 4, in a contract year, doesn’t exactly inspire confidence. I’m beginning to wonder if the money might not be better spent. Anthony Collins can hold down the spot. He’s a good pass protector. We’ll lose something in the run blocking. But we could just look to draft a ROT at 21 if one’s there and go with Collins or Wharton if not. I assumed after LOT Jake Long signed at 8.5M a with the same agent as Smith that this would work out quick. And Peter King had this to say about SMith a couple weeks ago….”I think Cincinnati tackle Andre Smith should come with a warning label. Something like, “Huge money is hazardous to this player’s greatness.” Talked to several teams scared of Smith. They remember his weight problems early in his Cincinnati tenure, and they fear what a big signing bonus would do to his desire.”……That’s my fear, and I’m sure it’s the teams fear too. Having Long and ROT Vollmer and SMith all represented by the same agency was probably a bad idea for all 3 of them. The market is set now, and I think the team is probably not going to offer much more than 7M a year. In their defense there are top 10 ROTs that only make in the range of 4M a year. He’s definitely a top 3 ROT, but will he remain one with big money, and is any ROT a good deal at 8M+ a year? Another issue is if you start overpaying one guy, then don’t they all want overpaid?

9. By homerbengal on Mar 25, 2013 | Reply

With less in pad time for O-lineman per the new labor agreement you can’t waste time hoping that someone after four years will suddenly be able to block J.J. Watt. Could not block Watt last year zero expectation he can suddenly improve and block playoff quality defensive ends next year. Rivers moved on the team is better please let Smith move on team can use money to sign pro bowl players on current roster. Oh I almost forgot,a loaded pistol in Atlanta … cannot afford imbeciles anymore.

10. By mwindle1973 on Mar 26, 2013 | Reply

The Vollmer deal was much lower than I expected, and I’m assuming that most teams will value Andre Smith at or below that amount. They have the same agency and the general feeling was he would be 3rd in line behind Vollmer and Long (also has the same agency). The Vollmer deal actually has less guaranteed money than Smith’s rookie deal. It looks like regardless of who he signs with, his salary is going to be very similar to his rookie deal. He had a chance to make 42M over 6 years if the team had picked up the final 2 year option on his contract. What was just viewed as a mistake just a couple months ago now seems like a very smart move. The cap was 5M higher in 2009 than it will be this year. It would be a big advantage to keep his contract value stagnant at his point. Especially when you consider that we spent 15.7M on OTs last year, which was 2x the league average, and tops in the league.

11. By mwindle1973 on Mar 26, 2013 | Reply

@homerbengal….When this all started I thought we have to sign Smith, but I’m really starting to agree with what you are saying. Is he going to keep improving or did only give his all the last 2 seasons because we didn’t pick up his option. I really think the money could be better spent. Especially since we have 3 picks in the first 53 and one of the deepest talent pools in the draft is at OT. We could save 5-6M and get close to same production, maybe more. And if the young draftee isn’t ready, I’ve been very happy with Anthony Collins when he has had to play. You are right, Smith can struggle against the elite. The Steelers Woodley consistently gives him problems.